Songkran 2015 - photos

MrWorldwide

I took a lot of other photos yesterday - 97 in all - but it soon becomes clear that it's just more of the same and many indicated they had no interest in seeing more shirtless Farang attacking people with blue PVC pipes so here we are. I was considering a walk around into Soi 8 with my associate, but she was like an 8-year old kid with a pail and some icewater. Someone accused me in another thread of being a miserable old git, and that's pretty much how I felt after 5 or so hours of this repetitive madness. As JLCrab points out in his FAQ, we either embrace it or avoid it, and today I've opted for the latter - on a blazing hot day, minus the icewater and the cannons, I think this could definitely be a blast : sadly, the appeal had worn very thin by nightfall.

Jomtien Alert - 6:30pm today: A light battalion of Songkran attack vehicles operating on both sides of Jomtien 2nd Rd. in the vicinity of Pastrami-On-Rye attempting to drench anyone in sight. Also a few loose cannons with water blasters running amok on the sidewalks.

I took a lot of other photos yesterday - 97 in all - but it soon becomes clear that it's just more of the same and many indicated they had no interest in seeing more shirtless Farang attacking people with blue PVC pipes so here we are. I was considering a walk around into Soi 8 with my associate, but she was like an 8-year old kid with a pail and some icewater. Someone accused me in another thread of being a miserable old git, and that's pretty much how I felt after 5 or so hours of this repetitive madness. As JLCrab points out in his FAQ, we either embrace it or avoid it, and today I've opted for the latter - on a blazing hot day, minus the icewater and the cannons, I think this could definitely be a blast : sadly, the appeal had worn very thin by nightfall.

Very good reports! I've avoided Songkran for many years, but 2 years ago decided to embrace it. Well...for only 1 day and even then, for just a short time in the early afternoon. But it is fun. Definitely couldn't do it every day! LOL

Thanks for the warning, I will stay away from Jomtien beach until Sunday .

My friends live in VT 2. They haven't been able to leave their condo for days without getting wet. sad.png

Gets old rather quick when you're just trying to buy some groceries.

Quoted 350 baht for one of the blue jobbies yesterday - that's roughly the same as the large 'space' style water guns cost at Big C Extra. No question that people are making a lot of money out of this madness but I'm stuffed if I know what people do with their 3-400 baht toy for the rest of the year, particularly tourists. I guess the local kids can expect to be handed a lot of late Xmas presents.

The last one I bought was 150 Baht... took about 5 minutes before the police confiscated it. I guess you really can't walk around with them but in the bars the police don't really take them off you as they usually stick to the main roads.

That said, these blue PVC things are much more durable than the Chinese cr4p they sell as water guns... my one was broken after 10 minutes and judging by the amount of them I see in rubbish bins others aren't very lucky either.

And can someone shed some light on this: Why is there only ONE model of guns that everyone sells? All the sellers walk around with the same one and even 7-Eleven sells them. Is there only one importer in Thailand who distributes the stuff to all shops and all markets?

If you're referring to the comments I made for the photos I posted, if you feel I've overstepped the mark then report the post to a mod - otherwise simply look at the photos and ignore the text. Given that I'm the mug who got soaking wet, repeatedly, for the sake of a few photos I'm not really sure what you're getting so worked up about. You've obviously been here long enough to know that you wont agree with certain people - ignore them.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of a removed post