Advise on Living in Thalang area

BillBilous

Hi All

Im currently Living in Chaam, but thinking of relocating to Thalang area in phuket ( Near to Tonsai waterfall)

Of course I will spend time visiting and viewing the area, but can any one please advise

• what is the Thalang area like
  • how busy is this area
  • the expected cost of condo or very small 1 bed house
  • Facilities Gym, coffee shops , night life,
  • locality of nearest quite beaches
  • general cost of living compared to Chaam
  • places of interest
  • Thai learning facility

All wordily advise is welcome

many thanks

Billy

I live in Thalang since 2002, (near to the airport).

To comment on your questions, (if you are referring to Thalang Town, as opposed to the whole Amphur)

• what is the Thalang area like
  • how busy is this area
  • the expected cost of condo or very small 1 bed house
  • Facilities Gym, coffee shops , night life,
  • locality of nearest quite beaches
  • general cost of living compared to Chaam
  • places of interest
  • Thai learning facility

- Thalang is growing at a fast pace, but still very much a Thai area, not populated by foreigners.

- It is getting busier by the day, as new superstores (Tesco-Lotus, Homepro, Macro) have recently opened.

- There are not many condo projects at all. Small houses would start around1.8 million

- Not sure about a gym, coffee-shops in the Tesco-Lotus complex, nightlife in Thalang is really the karaokee places on the road to the waterfall (you need to speak Thai).

- Quiet beaches would be about 10-15km away at Naithon and Nai Yang

- Never lived in Cha Am so can't comment

- I think there is a language school in the town - you need to Google.

Now if you're talking about the Amphur of Thalang, then that is a large area, with a whole different range of facilities and lifestyles.

Thalang Town is really quiet with rural people.

Near the junction or next from Lotus you will find condos in the 3.500-7.500 Baht price range.

A Gym is also near the junction. You will see the big advertising.

Nightlife nil.

Lotus is ok for coffee/restaurants.

Makro/Lotus in Thalang don't have the farang stuff like in Town.

Near the junction or next from Lotus you will find condos in the 3.500-7.500 Baht price range.

Nightlife nil.

Only a few clicks to Villa Market in Boat lagoon if there is something obscure you can't find in Makro or Tesco.

Nightlife nil.

Only a few clicks to Villa Market in Boat lagoon if there is something obscure you can't find in Makro or Tesco.

I don't mean obscure things.... a good bread for example. Was not impressed with the new Villa Market in Boat Lagoon, fresh section is very limited.

Nightlife nil.

I don't mean obscure things.... a good bread for example. Was not impressed with the new Villa Market in Boat Lagoon, fresh section is very limited.

Fresh section of all Villa markets are rubbish, and expensive.
  • Like 2

Nightlife nil.

Fresh section of all Villa markets are rubbish, and expensive.

For most thinks i am with you. I had the hope this is better in the Boatlagoon.

The fresh crusty ham directly out of the oven in Chalong is really tasty.

<snip>

Makro french sticks aren't too bad.

Really ... you think not too bad ? I consider inedible. An insult to the French. And I have bought more than one time just to be sure. Can say the same about their bread rolls - terrible.

I think I might be getting the Makro ones confused with the Tesco Lotus ones?

Ok All

thanks for the Input,

it gives me an idea of what to expect

Maybe Thalang Town is going to be a little to quite for me ??

Maybe i will look somewhere just a little more busy

Any suggestions on a not so busy location in Phucket - with same criteria

I will spend a month or so in the area before i long term rent

Once again thanks

First off - it's Phuket.

The southern part of the island is busier and with more amenities.

But not such a bad decision to stay in Thalang area, as in the north part of the island.

You need to tell us more about what you expect to do in your leisure time.

I know Cha-am quite well, stay there often for a week when my wife visits her family. Cha-am to Phuket is night and day in terms of cost and pace of life. Although there are quiet spots here on Phuket Island.

Ok All

thanks for the Input,

it gives me an idea of what to expect

Maybe Thalang Town is going to be a little to quite for me ??

Maybe i will look somewhere just a little more busy

Any suggestions on a not so busy location in Phucket - with same criteria

I will spend a month or so in the area before i long term rent

Once again thanks

We lived in Thalang for about five years and left for Chiang mai five years ago. While we lived there, both Thalang and the moo bahn we had our house in suited us until Phuket started getting busier and more crowded.

We returned for a week this year to see our old friends and neighbours and were shocked at how much Phuket has been (over)developed in the last five years. It is even more over-priced, over-crowded and unfriendly (certainly compared to the North). We will never go back.

Compared to Cha-am, which we know but have never lived in, there is just no comparison - if it was us living in Cha-am we wouldn't even think about leaving, especially not for Phuket.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision as they say and if I had know about Prachuap Khiri Khan and Prachuap Town, I would never have bought in Phuket ten years ago - Prachuap Town is one of my favourite places and I could happily live there,

Of course, each to his own, and it depends what you are looking for but Phuket now? Never!

I have been living in Bang Tao for almost 3 years. I don't like Thalang, except for the new Makro, which is much closer than the one in town. What the other memebers told you is absolutely correct. It is a place for Thai people, if you understand what I mean.

I think if you want something quite but not too quite and suitable for farangs, I suggest Bang Tao/Cherngtalay. You have a very good Villa Market at Boat Avenue, Tesco Lotus, a decent gym, very good restaurants, you are very close to Laguna, only 15 km away from Patong and 20 from Central/Phuket Town. The beach in Bang Tao is good, but you are close to wonderful beaches like Layan, Nay Yang and Nay Thon. And not too far away (25 Km) from the absolute best beach in Phuket, which is Mai Khao.

Just stay away from Muslim areas, unless you like to be screamed in your ears at 5 am. PM me if you need more info.

Phuket is expensive, overcrowded, crazy drivers. If I weren't making a living here I would not live on Phuket. Take a look at Krabi Town in Phang Nga province.. I live in Chalong area of Phuket and not so bad. Lots of expats but not so many tourists. All amenities here and access to all parts of the island.