Hi all, my first posting here after having been a lurker for ages.

Question regrding Pay Pal accounts in Thailand.

I have a Thai registered company with Bkk Bank A/cs as well as personal a//c.

The business manufactures in Thailand for o'seas markets and we need a way to get paid in other currencies into our Thai a/cs.Having trouble trying to set it up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Liam.

I set my paypal up through my Bangkok bank account, piece of p*ss to do and works well. Just have to get paypal to deposit 2 small amounts into your account then tell them how much and its done, very simple

make sure your Debit card is good for International as it goes thru Singapore

I am not sure if it was an Ebay thing or Paypal but you cannot get your funds for 2-3 weeks when you start,

at least that was the way for us ,

and it takes a week to transfer from your Paypal account to your Thai bank account.

Also if the payer complains they will freeze your funds until "they" figure it out.

It works , Payers seem happy to use it , but do a google search for "paypal sucks" to see the other side

Thanks mate.

I am pretty simple too as far as this web orienated stuff is concerned.

Did you do a personal or a business a/c?

All done on line or at the bank?

Thanks.

Get a business account and do the account verification , paypal take you through it step by step .

It will save you problems later

Per my other thread, I have had no major problems with my individual account thus far except that I cant work out how to xfer funds from my Thai savings account into my Paypal THB balance:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/817743-paypal-thailand-transferring-baht-from-thai-bank-account/

If you dont do it this way and pay via debit/credit card you incur an extra 323 baht fee : in addition to their other fees that can get ordinary very quickly. One thing that I will give them is that they do refund the fees they charged if you refund a buyer - either in full or in part (percentage of the fees is refunded in that case) - I was surprised by that given their mercenary approach to fees. I have found buyers in the US particularly attracted to any ad where you agree to swallow the Paypal fees but I dont think it would be a good move for a fulltime business - still, if you want to sell something you need to be willing to meet the market. Here are a few examples to give you an idea of what you can expect - I think businesses that do a certain volume each month get a discount on these fees:

Invoice Amt Paypal Fees

550AUD 24.50USD

750USD 33.30USD

1000USD 44.30USD

1000AUD 44.30AUD

Add the expense of shipping from Thailand to the US, Europe and Oz and I'm glad i dont have to rely on this for a living, particularly with some of the loss leaders on EBay and Amazon. EMS managed to break the $750 pair of headphones - luckily the manufacturer seems to be willing to ship my buyer the replacement parts and the design means it shouldnt be an issue - and refused to ship another ~300USD order to Italy : I guess anyone doing it for a living would just take these things in their stride but it ticked me off, even if they did ship the 1K orders for less than 2K baht. None of the above is going to break me even if I get into a dispute, but at this stage I wont be able to collect any of it until the 27th of this month - add another week for it to reach my bank account and you wouldnt want to be relying on Paypal to make rent in any given month. They do have an 'established seller' scheme where you can get your money more quickly - you need at least 5 uncontested sales, a minimum of 100USD in total and be a seller for at least 60 days from the first sale : woohoo ;)

As stated elsewhere, the key to Paypal is being able to buy something else with the currencies you have - conversions are always in Paypal's favor at a woeful exchange rate. Now that you can book hotels using PP it's a lot more attractive for me and my main hobby is dominated by the greenback.

Good luck.

(just a note to the board's mathemagicians - I realise the fees represent a percentage, but that changes when someone pays with a credit or debit card and that's why I've posted the actual amounts. Its all spelt out on the site, but I couldnt find concrete fee examples from anyone

Paypal has done a good job getting customers to believe it is the only safe way to pay for internet purchases .

so like it or not it is something we have to live with !

but Thai Post and Paypal together makes it hard to do business on Ebay and keep everyone happy !

I am sure a few packages that were mailed but Thai Post did not track correctly ended up costing me the Postage and the entire payment for the item,

the "buyers" just told Paypal it was never received and with bad tracking I had not proof they received it,

One even had the balls to tell me he did not "know" I sent it because the mailing address was not the same ! I guess he gets $200 gifts in the mail all the time just like he happened to order on Ebay.....

it is a minefield trying to keep it all going , at least I make the items we sell , so profit is high.....

I'm happy with the tracking USPS have given me for EMS Thailand (Thai Post) consignments, and they tracked an Australian package right through to delivery, but I wasnt too torn up giving my Italian buyer a refund when Thai Post refused to ship - I suspect that anything could have happened to that parcel when it reached Europe. I've seen ads that read 'I wont ship to Italy or India, so don't even bother asking !' and the site I sell through specifically warns about accepting Paypal payments from India. Little wonder they come to BKK and Pattaya on shopping expeditions.

I'm happy with the tracking USPS have given me for EMS Thailand (Thai Post) consignments, and they tracked an Australian package right through to delivery, but I wasnt too torn up giving my Italian buyer a refund when Thai Post refused to ship - I suspect that anything could have happened to that parcel when it reached Europe. I've seen ads that read 'I wont ship to Italy or India, so don't even bother asking !' and the site I sell through specifically warns about accepting Paypal payments from India. Little wonder they come to BKK and Pattaya on shopping expeditions.

You have to be very careful about what you

Send to Italy, they have a long list of prohibited items that will not make it past customs.