Phuket bus wheel wrecks noodle stall en route to Surat Thani

webfact

Eakkapop Thongtub

1429004812_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- No injuries were reported after a stray wheel that had fallen off a moving bus in Mai Khao this afternoon, destroyed a roadside noodle stall.

When Tachadchai police and Kusoldham rescue workers arrived to the scene in Mai Khao this afternoon they found passengers – both Thai and foreign – standing in shock and contemplating their fate and the damaged noodle stall in front of a roadside food shop.

Eyewitnesses said the outer back-left wheel had slipped off the Surat Thani bound bus while it was moving northbound on the main route off the island, before the tyre went on to crash into and completely destroy the noodle stall.

Officers found the bus, about 200 meters from the wrecked noodle stall, with its inner rear wheel flat. No injuries were reported.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bus-wheel-wrecks-noodle-stall-en-route-to-surat-thani-51880.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-14

'the outer back-left wheel had slipped off'

Oh - just slipped off. How about wheel nuts not tightened correctly - doh ...

Here in bkk after noticing a bus with half the wheel nuts missing i got curious and started looking for missing wheel nuts at every possibility, many have nuts missing and even wheel studs sheared off,

I suspect buses in phucket are no different facepalm.gif

Take a close look around your local Bus Station and it will make you a worried person if you have any thoughts of using a Bus. Bald Tyres, Defective Lights, Cracked Windscreens and/or Side Windows, Leaking Fluids, Broken Seatbelts, Cluttered Driving Positions with empty water bottles under pedals etc etc. Who knows how many hours the drivers have slept for or if they are still 'high' or semi-drunk from the night before ?

Only Nackon Chai Air can be trusted to have well maintained vehicles and decent drivers who are rotated at regular intervals......the rest are cowboys.

I notice these things without going to the bus station, even buses with only holes where the front and rear lights should be, have followed buses in bewilderment as they crab sideways along the road either from axles out of line or a bent bus from a previous accident, canvas showing through the rubber or missing wheel nuts are more common.

Take a close look around your local Bus Station and it will make you a worried person if you have any thoughts of using a Bus. Bald Tyres, Defective Lights, Cracked Windscreens and/or Side Windows, Leaking Fluids, Broken Seatbelts, Cluttered Driving Positions with empty water bottles under pedals etc etc. Who knows how many hours the drivers have slept for or if they are still 'high' or semi-drunk from the night before ?

Only Nackon Chai Air can be trusted to have well maintained vehicles and decent drivers who are rotated at regular intervals......the rest are cowboys.

I agree - to a point, however last time I travelled from Loei to Pattaya on NCA, the same driver was behind the wheel for the whole trip - all 13 hours of it. I'm not sure I call that a regular interval, especially as the final 2 hours of the journey which goes through Chonburi to Pattaya are the most crowded and therefore most stressful.

VERY>>>VERY>>>VERY simple to explain... MONIE rules LOS. No matter what ... in EVERYTHING, I mean it in even religion. The more chief, the more lake of responsability.

Quick in the pocket... the rest no problem.

I feel petty for the few who try to be honest.

FEODAL

'the outer back-left wheel had slipped off'

Oh - just slipped off. How about wheel nuts not tightened correctly - doh ...

A bus company spokesperson commented " you mean there are wheel nuts to hold it on ? Oh Ho. "

Did the vendor have a street-traders licence ?

And did she set-up in a very precarious position ?

Any safety checks on the bus ?

Does anyone care ? let alone take responsibility ?

No No No No No

Are your first two questions ridiculous? Yes Yes

• Like 1

I agree - to a point, however last time I travelled from Loei to Pattaya on NCA, the same driver was behind the wheel for the whole trip - all 13 hours of it. I'm not sure I call that a regular interval, especially as the final 2 hours of the journey which goes through Chonburi to Pattaya are the most crowded and therefore most stressful.

Think most would agree that's most unusual as they normally change driver every four hours from my many experiences with them. May well have been worth complaining about that trip just to see what response you got.

And then they complain why Japan banned those flights.. biggrin.png

bit off topic but I get the point. Inspection and more importantly actually reporting and then fixing things is hard to maintain. QA, Safety, writing up co-workers is not central to Thai mentality. "If I report him, he lose job"

The bus wheel is worth more than the noodle cart it destroyed. smile.png

Probably the tread on the tyre was bald so it needed to be changed anyway.

3 wheels on my wagon, and I'm still rolling along...... Farang think too mutt.