Police Target Drunk Drivers and Relax Enforcement on Other Songkran Bans

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-22147300-1429044877_thumb.

Phuket police have arrested hundreds of people for drunk driving yesterday, but enforcement on other banned Songkran activities has been lax. Before Monday’s celebrations, a nationwide ban was put on sexy dancing, rolling water-fight trucks and provocative outfits. Revelers were also prohibited from mixing foam or powder with water and using ice water.

Police say they’ve arrested more than 100 drunk drivers on Monday, but only a few arrests were made for taking part in other inappropriate Songkran activities. Police say they understand the rules that were issued for the festivities, but did not want the festival to look unhappy.

Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee pointed out that while the ban of using ice water and powder was in place, they weren’t harming anyone. Revelers who were partaking in these banned activities received a warning, rather than being placed under arrest.

In Patong, more than 100 drunk drivers were arrested, and in Chalong, 14 were taken into custody for driving under the influence. A final tally of drunk driving arrests in Phuket will be made on Wednesday.

Thus far, Songkran celebrations have gone smoothly, but Col Peerayuth stated that the police will remain vigilant until the celebrations come to an end.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-14

So the police say they are unable to perform more than one duty

at a time,

I hope these drunk drivers were actually arrested,and are been brought

before a court,and not simply given a cup of coffee and kept off the

road for an hour,then sent on their way.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

So the police say they are unable to perform more than one duty

at a time,

I hope these drunk drivers were actually arrested,and are been brought

before a court,and not simply given a cup of coffee and kept off the

road for an hour,then sent on their way.

regards Worgeordie

I suppose one duty is a great improvement on the usual zero duty.

Aside from the safety concerns with regard to drink driving.....

This is now becoming the best money maker that the BiB have ever had.......

Here in the Hua Hin--Cha Am region.....Get caught for DUI (they have the bag)...it's generally Thb 20K and go to the cop shop....possibly have a rest at their leisure....or Thb 3K.....and they'll take you to the ATM and back.....where you can continue your journey.....and of course.....expats are being targeted!!

• Like 1

This might be a first in Thailand - the police acting with intelligence and common sense. They know, like everyone else except the rulers of this happy land, that using powder and wearing light clothing and a bit of sexy dancing does no harm, so they have chosen to ignore it and devote their time instead to the real criminals, those who drive drunk and don't seem to care about who they might kill and injure. Fantastic! More of it, please.

But why did the TV staff writer state in the lead that hundreds have been arrested, and then later that the real number is over ONE hundred (singular). Poor journalism.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

'Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee pointed out that while the ban of using ice water and powder was in place, they weren’t harming anyone ...' BS!! Iced water is neither pleasant, nor necessary; notwithstanding there are numerous idiots who target m/c riders with it. As for powder: perhaps Karajedee should test the effects of it getting in his eyes, etc, before spouting forth with such puerile nonsense.

I got pulled over for a breath test yesterday off 331 near Pattaya. I was not drinking so not a problem. I passed clean thru the test. I was looking at the side and they had a number of pickups pulled over and a table to pay the ticket. After payment the driver, or at least the guy carrying the paperwork, walked from the table and got into his truck and drove away. I feel more safe knowing that they give tickets for drunk driving.