Bag Snatch involving Chinese Tourist in North Pattaya

webfact

Bag Snatch involving Chinese Tourist in North Pattaya

china-2.jpg?39ab56

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Wednesday, the Tourist Police assisted a Chinese Tourist who had just become Pattaya’s latest victim of a drive-by bag snatch.

The incident occurred in Soi Burana in North Pattaya and resulted in a bag containing cash and valuables being stolen from Miss Weisu Yin aged 51.

She was walking along the road, and was with a group of 7-8 Chinese Friends when two young men, thought to be Thai Nationals, approached on a motorbike and the passenger leant over and snatched her shoulder bag leaving only the broken shoulder straps behind.

Inside the bag was a mixture of Thai, Chinese and Hong Kong currency totaling approximately 40,000 Baht and more importantly for Miss Yin, her passport was inside her bag and she was due to travel back to China later on Wednesday.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/184149/bag-snatch-involving-chinese-tourist-in-north-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-04-15

It's wonderful that the media help those of us who have difficulty understanding the stories by adding useful photos such as these so we know there once was a handbag on the end of the strap.

Where would we be without those pointing at the suspect sitting in front of a line of police all squeezing to get in the shot ? I'd hate to think I ever got the culprit wrong and maligned the wrong person.

• Like 2

whenever we go down the main roads the wife has always said that she must carry her bag on the inside ,not out towards the road ,and if i was a gentelman i would walk on the road side , unfortunatly i no longer carry a sword .

I know the answer, but don't these travelers read anything about how and where to carry important things or documents while traveling? Big bags are glowing targets for thieves.

What is unusual is that the Chinese invented carrying the backpack on the front of the body.

Oh well, now we begin the beguine.

I still use my little "fanny pack" placed towards my front. It holds all I need for a walk about. Not foolproof, but never had a ripoff yet. Funny because I bought it in Pattaya on my first trip to Thailand back in 2004. It is still going strong. One lady stopped on a motorbike late at night once and also another time one of those groping ladyboys tried the old pinch the balls distraction while trying for my pocket and then my watch. My back pocket has an inner flap and button that I have trouble opening. My watch, about ten years old and cost $8 USD from Walmart, pretty much convinced the would be thieves to leave me alone. I do travel with a lightweight silk money "belt". I really never saw a need for it in Thailand but it weighs nothing so I toss it in my bag just in case.

Depressing enough for the woman to have to pose for the photo, but to publish her age and the fact that she is still a 'Miss' (and will probably remain so for life) seems unduly harsh for mine. I'm guessing the Chinese dont have the same easygoing attitude to a lost passport that the British Embassy here seems to have for travellers trapped at Swampy sans passport (thank you BBC3 and the scatterbrains who got to the airport and realised they had no passport).

I know the pattaya police are stretched but c'mon bag snatching is a daily occurance in north pattaya, i have witnessed it with my own eyes many a time, and yeah thousands of chinese are normally the victims, why because they act naive and make themselves easy prey.

Time to put a stop to this once and for all get out on them streets please police.

Out of all the Farang TV information channels in Pattaya I see none with warnings for Tourists , they should also have warnings on all the baht buses in English , Russian and Chinesse ect. The Chinese tour guides should also inform there customers, that's if the not in on the scam. Information Information is the key to stop these young thugs.

But I do also like the grenade with the sting attached. All jokes aside a Aussie lady lost her life in Phuket as when they get the stap off they also cut her jugular in the process.

Out of all the Farang TV information channels in Pattaya I see none with warnings for Tourists , they should also have warnings on all the baht buses in English , Russian and Chinesse ect. The Chinese tour guides should also inform there customers, that's if the not in on the scam. Information Information is the key to stop these young thugs.

But I do also like the grenade with the sting attached. All jokes aside a Aussie lady lost her life in Phuket as when they get the stap off they also cut her jugular in the process.

Absolutely no way will any of that happen - the last thing the powers-that-be want to do is put any FUD in the minds of prospective tourists. The industry is committed to one thing only - get them on the plane, on the bus and into the hotel : from there its off to pre-approved destinations (ker-ching) for the duration of their stay. Our friend may have strayed from the flock and I expect that IS something the tour guides would warn them against.

Edited by MrWorldwide

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A Chinese woman was robbed by a pillion-rider bag snatcher in Pattaya late Tuesday night police said.
Pol Maj Piyapong Ensarn, a tourist police officer of Pattaya, was alerted of the robbery at 00:10 am Wednesday.
The woman, Weisu Yin, 51, and friends fielded complaint at the community police booth on Soi Phettrakul in North Pattaya.
Piyapong rushed to the booth to find frightened Weisu. She was holding on the strap of her handbag. The bag had been snatched away by a pillion rider.
She told Piyapong through an interpreter that her passport was in the bag and she also had about Bt40,000 in Thai, Chinese and Hong Kong banknotes in the bag.
Weisu told the police officer that she was walking back to her hotel on Soi Burana in North Pattaya with seven friends of the same tour group when she was robbed.
She said she saw two Thai teenagers on a motorcycle parked at the power pole in front of the soi. Briefly after her group walked into the soi, the motorcycle sped after her group and the pillion rider snatched her bag and fled the scene.
She said her friends tried to run after them but failed to catch up with the motorcycle so they ran for help at the police booth.
Weisu said she was scheduled to return to China Thursday so she was very worried as her passport had been lost.
Piyapong alerted all police units in Pattaya about the motorcycle. He said police will check feet from security cameras in the area to try to locate the robbers.

xthaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ic.ASDmYCLR
-- © thaivisa.com

"Piyapong alerted all police units in Pattaya about the motorcycle. He said police will check feet from security cameras in the area to try to locate the robbers."

"Check feet from security cameras to locate the robbers."?????????cheesy.gif

'Not so sure thai police authorities won't be taking crimes against Chinese more seriously than crimes against farangs, because the CHINESE authorities take them more seriously than farang authorities... (One of those "things" thais will be learning about their new best buddies...)

'Not so sure thai police authorities won't be taking crimes against Chinese more seriously than crimes against farangs, because the CHINESE authorities take them more seriously than farang authorities... (One of those "things" thais will be learning about their new best buddies...)

Hmmm ....

- Thailand has lived in China's massive shadow for centuries and you dont have to look far to see the impact on Thai culture

- Thailand's ethnic Chinese population is arguably the best integrated of any Chinese minority in SEA

- Thailand's largest export market : China

- Thailand's largest tourist intake : China

I'm guessing they know more about China than anyone on this board - the good, the bad and the ugly. Whether having so many eggs in China's basket is in their best interests longterm remains to be seen, but I doubt that they are running around in Bangkok looking for guidance on how to deal with the Chinese. Japan might have a larger stake in this country in terms of investment, but when was the last time you saw a bus full of Japanese tourists belting down Third Road ?

I don't really think an ethnic Chinese who's been totally assimilated into the thai culture over multiple generations, even the course of centuries, is the same thing as a victimized Chinese national and vassal of the Peking government today on the receiving end of criminal assault while on vacation in Thailand. The issue has absolutely nothing to do with ancestry and issues of cultural integration. Furthermore, I don't think Thailand is any more favorably disposed to "foreign interference" by China than by any other outsider, and probably not that much more than other countries in the region currently chafing under China's increasingly aggressive machinations (but they may now have to start getting impressed!). China is their leading export partner, true, but that's not saying so much - 14% (Japan - formerly the lead trade partner as recently as 2013, BTW - and the U.S. are each about 10%...): and that might just be cooling off a little in the years ahead (Chinese economic growth is flagging ...). The magnitude of Chinese "tourist intake" by Thailand, and matters of, shall we euphemistically say, "cultural differences", are an oft-discussed topic here on TVF as you probably know. And I don't think many Thais have been that favorably impressed with these particular tourists, their spending profile & habits, or their behavior (but again, maybe they're going to have to learn some enthusiasm...).

Hmmm ...

Edited by hawker9000