British tourist kills police in crash

...here we go with the 'foreigner kills' headline......

...cut the cr*p.....

...it was an accident....and not sure where to lay the blame...

...but after a decade plus of road carnage.....this is the first time I see blame laid in the headline..

...and murder at that.....but for foreigners only......

.....'tourist kills'.......'foreigner kills'.........???

....unacceptable....I hope that someone else speaks up as well.....

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well no wonder police crack down on foreign drivers....

expect much more of the same.

What was this Brit doing at this hour of the morning....? Racing home after a night out?

Only a noob or an intoxicated driver would not be aware of smaller vehicles. This is thailand..you drive on the road with extreme care...and it does not matter who is right or wrong...you go in the headlines if you cause death....especially a farang.

"Nonthwat interrogated Benjamin and learned that he was speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin and the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time".

What's with the "Hang him High" brigade today.

Who exactly knows what "speeding" is when the press over here use that description. The motorbike rider suddenly decided to make a U-Turn, cutting into the way of the car driver and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

That scenario could happen to any of us, even when not doing "so called speeding". Get a grip, I have been driving for years over here and when some idiot decides at the last second "I think I'll do a U-Turn here" then, without warning or notice drives right in front of a car without as much as a quick check behind him ...is it any wonder that this kind of thing can happen. Anybody who says it can't (either here or at home) should have another think coming.

it's clearly write that you can not make a U-turn when you come out of the hospital , but have to turn to the left and go to the next U-turn . have roads signs enough and very clear at this place , i know cause i go many times at this hospital . and everytimes i come out of the hospital , i see many thai-drivers who don't respect the roads signs and make a U-turn there , crossing the 3 lanes first then U-turn . if they are not abble to respect the essential rules on the roads , and in this case it's a policeman who have to show the good way , then they don't have to cry after . the brit drive straight , the motorcycle canot U-turn there , don't look if a car was coming or canot estimate the speed of the car . anyway , when you effect a maneuver like U-turn , change lane , cross the lanes or anything else , you're wrong .

it's clearly write that you can not make a U-turn when you come out of the hospital , but have to turn to the left and go to the next U-turn . have roads signs enough and very clear at this place , i know cause i go many times at this hospital . and everytimes i come out of the hospital , i see many thai-drivers who don't respect the roads signs and make a U-turn there , crossing the 3 lanes first then U-turn . if they are not abble to respect the essential rules on the roads , and in this case it's a policeman who have to show the good way , then they don't have to cry after . the brit drive straight , the motorcycle canot U-turn there , don't look if a car was coming or canot estimate the speed of the car . anyway , when you effect a maneuver like U-turn , change lane , cross the lanes or anything else , you're wrong .

well, here is the thing. It is called avoidance. Insisting on right of way is never a good thing. Clearly, excessive speed contributed to this death. Also knowledge of the danger (the man rides here often?).

If you know that Thai drivers are doing this all the time...in this spot.....why not use caution? Just because you have the right of way does not mean you lack ability to compensate.

Being in an accident sucks. But if you live in this area, and you have some local knowledge of Thai driving habits..then you will have to adjust.

I hope, at least, he was not intoxicated..that will go against him.

The Thai cop does what almost ALL Thais do...make U-Turns, left hand turns or just about anything WITHOUT LOOKING.

Surely you've all experienced Thais on bikes coming out from a side street on the left. How many look to the right first? About 1% in my experience. At U-Turns more of them look....but many don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to brake quickly to give way to idiots at U-Turns who either don't look...or can't wait.

Yet somehow according to the consensus here,it's the Brits fault ... go figure.

blink.png

Not a Benz, dear me ,more power to the Lefty Brits again...If it was Nop in a Shagged Truck its hardly worth a mention. Unplated Bike ridden by Drunk Cop most likely.

Yes definately the Thais fault, probably not, but we'll blame him anyway!

Well no wonder police crack down on foreign drivers....

expect much more of the same.

What was this Brit doing at this hour of the morning....? Racing home after a night out?

Only a noob or an intoxicated driver would not be aware of smaller vehicles. This is thailand..you drive on the road with extreme care...and it does not matter who is right or wrong...you go in the headlines if you cause death....especially a farang.

Agree with the good intention of your post......But, to question what the chap was doing at the hour of the morning is beyond belief.

What business is that of anyone, particularly you or any one else for that matter?

If we are speaking of a minor may be, but to throw the main point of your post to question what a grown adult is doing out and about at a particular time of the 24 hour clock amazes me and I hope others.

Amazed also as such a long time member here, you would consider it relevant to the topic!

The Thai cop does what almost ALL Thais do...make U-Turns, left hand turns or just about anything WITHOUT LOOKING.

Surely you've all experienced Thais on bikes coming out from a side street on the left. How many look to the right first? About 1% in my experience. At U-Turns more of them look....but many don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to brake quickly to give way to idiots at U-Turns who either don't look...or can't wait.

blink.png

Again, being in the right ..has nothing to do with it.

If we know Thai's always make quick U turns and cut us off..then why not give a look around before plowing through an intersection/U turn access road?

Being right will not prevent accidents, and will not prevent headlines like what are now reading. I know many farangs are irritated...in fact angry....and they put the blinders up and step on the pedal....insisting that they have the right of way. This is not how people drive here..... right or wrong.....if a farang cannot handle the awkward driving habits of Thai's...perhaps it is better you have your wife drive.

Sad reality....right or wrong...it will not go well for him.

Just a bit of advice, treat motorcycles/scooters like dogs(I ride and hate a lot of riders) because you never know what they will do at any second, never assume they will go straight or turn. Pay attention when you drive, no texting, no cellphone, no BJ, just drive.

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

We can draw a lot of assumptions from the time etc, but I see no mention of booze/brethalyzersburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6 in the report.

There will be plenty of TV Clouseauscrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m waiting to solve this one!

Yeah and specially these that cannot even afford a car here never the less a sports car. Sure they will find something here to make the Brit out to be a bad Hi So. Jealousy makes you nasty.

I have to take the time to cast my vote for the "Most Sensible Comment". My vote goes to cancan70 who said:

"I think it is silly to assign blame at this time in the proceedings. We have no idea who's at fault and it could be that they were both in the wrong. The Brit for speeding and the Thai officer for making an ill-advised U-turn in front of an on coming car."

Exactly!!!

blink.png

Again, being in the right ..has nothing to do with it.

If we know Thai's always make quick U turns and cut us off..then why not give a look around before plowing through an intersection/U turn access road?

Being right will not prevent accidents, and will not prevent headlines like what are now reading. I know many farangs are irritated...in fact angry....and they put the blinders up and step on the pedal....insisting that they have the right of way. This is not how people drive here..... right or wrong.....if a farang cannot handle the awkward driving habits of Thai's...perhaps it is better you have your wife drive.

Sad reality....right or wrong...it will not go well for him.

100% spot on !! If you cannot handle the heat in the kitchen, get out... It is what it is, unfortunately

I'm astounded that the Brit has bden sentenced by the TV Court.

He may well be guilty, but let a real court determine that.......please!

If he was speeding, he's dumb, but the cop may have turned suddenly, and without indicating, so there may be mitigating circumstances.

Having said that, we make decisions predicated on other drivers doing the 'right thing', I.e., not speeding, so the cop may have turned thinking he had plenty of time, but that decision may have been based on the Benz traveling at (say) 40 km/hr, not 80.

I hope tha they lock this guy up and just throw the keys away.

Somewhat extreme.

He should be prosecuted if it can be proven that he was exceeding the speed limit. Otherwise, what can you do if a dope in front of you on a bike with no registration plate suddenly does a U turn in front of you in poor lighting conditions (2.30 am)? ?

Sad that a bloke lost his life, but was he just another Songran drunk?

The Thai bloke who mowed down a cop a few years ago, rich guy, now cooling his heals in foreign parts, should he be locked up too, and throw away the key?

The article states the air bags deployed,,, with modern cars, (esp a MB I'd guess),,,, it's as simple as plugging it into a dealers service computer, and the CAR'S computer, will tell you exactly the speed at impact, the angle of the impact,, were the brakes being applied, how strongly, etc, etc,,, BUT,,, will anyone investigating this bother to see that through?...

Adeeos has made the most intelligent post here yet as it relates to facts and blame.

For the record, John has lived and worked in Thailand for almost 10 years. He owns the car and has a wife and 12 year old daughter, Speed limit in that part of Phetchkasem is 80KMH. Worrying no posters have even considered his healh

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign countryand drive with reckless abandon.

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Would it change anything, if the motorbike would have a license plate?sad.png

Anyway,TIT, motorbikes drive often for some weeks without plates until they are provided by the authorities.

Nothing uncommon with new motorbikes. blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope tha they lock this guy up and just throw the keys away.

I love listening to you, saint and super driver, that never disobey the rules in Thailand.

Try to read the article properly, the guy was cut off by the motorbike when the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

Ask yourself, what would you have done in a situation like this?

So stop, trying to be clever and think before you post nonsense.

Did you read the article? The bike ended up 200meters away......I doubt a bike could be thrown that far if he was going less than 70-80kmph , not to mention the front of the Merc has all but disintegrated. IF the Merc was speeding then you cannot really say the cop cut him off as he may have had enough time to u turn if the Merc was traveling at the correct speed.

All the emotive remarks won't make any difference. The primary cause of road accidents in Thailand is poor road engineering, specifically failure to separate slow-moving vehicles from fast-moving vehicles and failure to segregate road users at junctions. In other countries this is done by using motorways/highways on which small slow-moving vehicles are prohibited and not allowing vehicles to enter/exit or cross highways either without protecting their movements with slip roads or physical lane protection barriers, or by using under or overpasses to avoid them coming into proximity.

In Thailand, the junction which breaks all these rules is the U-turn. Here, vehicles move from the fast lane of a road directly into the fast lane of traffic flowing in the other direction, without any physical barrier to separate slow-moving (usually small) vehicles from fast-moving (usually larger) vehicles. This is a recipe for disaster.

I think vehicles U-turning should be protected by physically kerbing/fencing the fast lane of the opposite carriageway and forcing this traffic with signage and the kerbing to use an inner, slower lane. The traffic could be merged further along the road and the fast lane opened again to all traffic.

It's just a few lines and kerbs but seems to beyond the wit of the "traffic engineers" here, who also have no idea about streaming traffic into lanes at crossroads, or phasing traffic lights. Until something is done, the carnage will continue. U-turns are just cheap, messy junctions and a disaster.

Wow!.... not one TV member has ever broken the speed limit.... have any of you considered that this could have been you, breaking the speed limit and then someone cuts directly in front of you, making it impossible to avoid them... this could happen even if not speeding.

If it's found that he was drunk then that's a different story.... if it's found that he was speeding to excess that's also different, but for now just thank your lucky stars it has never happened to you when in the past you were speeding.

Yes, he will have to pay the penalty for his crime, but do we really need to make him out to be the devil.

RIP to the man who lost his life.

This kind of accident is a daily occurrence on the roads in Thailand. My condolences to the policeman's family.

My question is if the guy in the car had been a Thai would this article have taken on so much prominence or that the motorcyclist was a policeman?

It does however highlight the fact that u-turns are dangerous and driving would be that much safer if they were banned altogether so that the driver has to go on to the next exit.

As for all you people so ready to jump on the bandwagon of blame remember it could be you next time.

Archived