British tourist kills police in crash

Without knowing the real facts we can only make assumptions. But everyone who drives regularly here knows how unpredictable Thai drivers are, you need to be hyper alert 100% of the time. Expect the unexpected, most drivers have no training, treat everyone like a learner with no experience.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

Ignoring all the alleged possibilities, the guy was going far to fast at 2.40 am! Serious case of reckless driving!

"The impact hurled the motorcycle about 200 meters away from car. Several parts of the motorcycle were broken and scattered at the spot."

Wow!.... not one TV member has ever broken the speed limit.... have any of you considered that this could have been you, breaking the speed limit and then someone cuts directly in front of you, making it impossible to avoid them... this could happen even if not speeding.

If it's found that he was drunk then that's a different story.... if it's found that he was speeding to excess that's also different, but for now just thank your lucky stars it has never happened to you when in the past you were speeding.

Yes, he will have to pay the penalty for his crime, but do we really need to make him out to be the devil.

RIP to the man who lost his life.

Of course he is not the devil. And I know he regrets the death...it will live with him forever. The young policeman is gone. His wife and family will also live with this forever.

I hope it is a civil matter..not a criminal one. As long as his speed was not "Reckless" and he was not "Intoxicated", I believe it becomes a civil thing...

If he is truly sorry, and there was no criminal intent....

I do forgive.

It's saddening at any time to read about the needless death of a fellow human, regardless of race.

Quite naturally, ones thoughts turn to the question of blame. From the scant known details in the op it would suggest to me .....

The car was speeding and so the driver must accept responsibility in that respect. It is unclear however who or how the speeding was determined. Being in a Mercedes sports car, in itself, is sufficient for some people to wrongly assume the driver would be going very fast.

The collision occurred at a U turn. Hmmmm. Many problems with U turn areas myself but no collisions yet. I'll keep my thoughts on that scenario to myself but I'm sure most have had similar experiences.

The motorcycle did not have a licence plate. I don't know the advantage of not having a licence plate. As the motorcycle was I think 300cc it raises a few questions in my mind as to what that is all about. The deceased motorcycle driver was a policeman. Well ... Being a policeman is not an offence but riding an illegal vehicle on the road is certainly not an example to set if you are, and of course apportions a large portion of blame / responsibility for an accident.

I think it is silly to assign blame at this time in the proceedings. We have no idea who's at fault and it could be that they were both in the wrong. The Brit for speeding and the Thai officer for making an ill-advised U-turn in front of an on coming car.

An ill advised U turn.... Well that's his story and he's stuck with it. The cop cant give his version and apparently no witnesses.

Lets wait and see what come out of any investigation.

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

For the record, John has lived and worked in Thailand for almost 10 years. He owns the car and has a wife and 12 year old daughter, Speed limit in that part of Phetchkasem is 80KMH. Worrying no posters have even considered his healh

Thank you for the information.

Good man, with family and daughter, possibly should be home at 2:30 AM in the morning instead of beeing alone around and speeding in a 80 km/h zone near U-turn and Hospital.

Or did he work in the night business? - Than sorry for my comment.

In a village, city, I reduce speed and at U-turns, I am at alert, special when I recognize a vehicel there. whistling.gif

Thailand is the leading (bigger) Country in road traffic death per capita.

As only the small countries, Eritrea, Dominican Republic and Libya are in front of it. blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Just a bit of advice, treat motorcycles/scooters like dogs(I ride and hate a lot of riders) because you never know what they will do at any second, never assume they will go straight or turn. Pay attention when you drive, no texting, no cellphone, no BJ, just drive.

Agree - except the BJ.. ;)

I hope tha they lock this guy up and just throw the keys away.

I love listening to you, saint and super driver, that never disobey the rules in Thailand.

Try to read the article properly, the guy was cut off by the motorbike when the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

Ask yourself, what would you have done in a situation like this?

So stop, trying to be clever and think before you post nonsense.

Thanks, Costas - you save me a lot of time typing :) Spot on, again!

I love listening to you, saint and super driver, that never disobey the rules in Thailand.

Try to read the article properly, the guy was cut off by the motorbike when the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

Ok, but on the other hand I think the impact won't push a Yamaha YZF-R3 300-CC 200 meters away if you drive within the speed limit...

In the last 2 years our car has been in 2 accidents ( Thai Wife driving) and I have been blamed by Thai drivers for causing another 11 accidents

I have never had to pay a fine in any of them

Why

I would never drive in Thailand with out a Crash camera with a 180 degree len turned on

AS I always carry my tablet in the car, I can just slip out the sd card out of the camera and put into the tablet for the police to watch

On 1 occasion a thai policeman would not accept the video as true when my wife was hit by a car coming in from a side rd, whose driver was well know to the policeman, so it must have been her fault

A great idea in Thailand is when you have a serious accident the insurance company send out an agent to take details

After seeing the vid a 5 min shouting match (insurance investigators do not take crap for a basic policeman)

the wife was cleared of all blame, and the driver of the other vehicle was invited to take the insurance company to court with the camera evidence

with in mins the Thai after a talk with the policeman accepted full responsibility and signed off the insurance claim

Camera cost me $148 dollars in Australia

Saved me thousands of baht in Thailand

My advise do not drive on Thai roads with out a cam

and this would have save a lot of accusation here on Thai Visa if he had one

Both parties seem to be at fault if the article is correct. The car driver for speeding and the motorcyclist for switching lanes too fast. The problem is the u turn itself. A ridiculously stupid and dangerous thing to have in the first place on such roads. A slip road on the left then over or under is safe, not a right turn next to the fast lane. Stupid design asking for trouble.

Drivers fault right off the bat. I agree was the cop drunk? Did he turn into the on

coming car. I know that U-Turn and it is dangerous as everybody speeds. Not an open and shut case.

I'm sure you had help with this sentence Costasclap2.gif thumbsup.gif

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

Probably close the damage that would be caused to a car travelling at 160+kph hitting a stationary 150kg motorcycle....given that the bike was reportedly ~200m away!!

For the record, John has lived and worked in Thailand for almost 10 years. He owns the car and has a wife and 12 year old daughter, Speed limit in that part of Phetchkasem is 80KMH. Worrying no posters have even considered his healh

Thank you for the information.

Good man, with family and daughter, possibly should be home at 2:30 AM in the morning instead of beeing alone around and speeding in a 80 km/h zone near U-turn and Hospital.

Or did he work in the night business? - Than sorry for my comment.

In a village, city, I reduce speed and at U-turns, I am at alert, special when I recognize a vehicel there. whistling.gif

Thailand is the leading (bigger) Country in road traffic death per capita.

As only the small countries, Eritrea, Dominican Republic and Libya are in front of it. blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Alfredo.....

Another well intended post, but, again questioning what the driver of the vehicle was in "that" situation at "that" time of the day !!

Thai Visa is just so much to some of you who should be enjoying the great surroundings and weather, how you can sit around posting such nonsense amazes me.

Regardless of the actual facts leading up to this unfortunate incident, I have to say again as I did in an earlier post......The fact this man was driving a vehicle where he was and at what time of the day has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the topic.

Are most of you here "School Teachers" and used to showing your dominance in the class room, where yes, it may be well placed.

But how the h_ll some of you can start preaching about what the guy was doing behind the wheel of the vehicle at the time of day is absolute rubbish and off-topic.

By all means if it turns out he was overly speeding or intoxicated or in some other way breaking the law, by all means initiate an attack, when and if you are in possession of the full facts, which you probably never will be.............

But, for some of you to go on & on about what he was doing at that hour, you must surely be bored and wasting our time!

None of your business......The facts if ever come to light is what is only relevant!

I have a license, but refrain from driving my car. The scooter and the motorbike are ok for me. I let the wife drive the bigger vehicle. We loaded up on insurance. (I said wife, but actually we are not legally married).

The car is in her name. I prefer riding as a passenger. She is very defensive (and slow), and sometimes I complain that she lets everybody cut in front.... but I see that now as a blessing. What she is doing is letting the aggressive (and dumber) vehicles have their way. In doing so, we stay alive. I might die on the scooter, but I sure don't want to be involved in any major car accident. I would insist on the right of way....(impatient man)...she will hold back..always looking for the crazy guys.

She is a pro, now, in Chiang Mai....(knows all the roads, turnoffs, crossovers, and which lane to be in. She can do all ring roads, moats, and the thousands of curves to Mae Hong Son. Also gets the car to Udon, without a hitch.

I say...you got the con(trol).....I put up a little office in the back (middle row of seats fold down). The laptop goes on, I buckle up and surround myself with pillows, snacks and a cooler. I don't even look at the road any more.

Well...I would just rather be the one bailing her out..and not the other way around.

I wonder if the speed was the reason of the accident or not respecting the traffic rules (by the motorcycle).
PS. I had an accident with a motorcycle which I hit at 80 kms per hour without breaking.
My car didn't look much different from this. Luckily the guy was not a police officer and he also admitted he crossed the red light. My first thought was that the guy was dead. But he survived with only a few broken bones.

This will be interesting to follow... The type of car the Brit was driving is irrelevant - the result would have been the same in a Toyota or Honda.

02:40am - Was there any trace of alcohol on the driver ? On the deceased Policeman ? - this would be key to determining a deadly mistake or manslaughter.

Was the driver within the speed limit ? the Opening Post notes that he was 'speeding his car' did the driver (Benjamin) admit to this or is this a poorly written article ?

Already some members are throwing emotion around without enough fact from which to base their conclusions...

Of course, we can all garner our opinions and assumptions... i.e. mine would be that at that time, both parties have had a few drinks, both are illegally on the road, the Bike pulled out infront of the Car to make a U-Turn without looking. The Car couldn't avoid the bike... BUT... thats just an assumption...

Key facts need to be established - Drinking ? (both Rider and Driver); Speeding ? (Driver); Pulled out without looking (Rider).

I have a question; what exactly is "speeding the car" in Thailand. There are virtually no speed limit signs. Yes it was 2:30 AM, the road was probably mostly empty and he was probably going fast. It is tragic when anyone gets killed, but the Brit had the right of way under Thai law; It was the responsibility of the motorcycle rider to wait, period and not pull out in front of the car. But we all know that not waiting at U-Turns is the rule here, not the exception.

The article states the air bags deployed,,, with modern cars, (esp a MB I'd guess),,,, it's as simple as plugging it into a dealers service computer, and the CAR'S computer, will tell you exactly the speed at impact, the angle of the impact,, were the brakes being applied, how strongly, etc, etc,,, BUT,,, will anyone investigating this bother to see that through?...

Nonsense, car's computers are not "black boxes", their purpose is to control the operation of the vehicle not provide accident related information.

200 meters? bullshit...this story is a half truth

Agreed - the point of questionable distance is mentioned in another concurrently running accident thread which quoted that the bike was thrown 200m...

In my experience of dealing with Thai's and distance - I ask a taxi driver to turn left in 200m and he nearly comes to a stop in 50m looking for the Soi. My Wife has the same difficulties judging / fitting immediate distances to words...

That's not to say all Thai's will have this difficulty, as with the other thread someone is bound to come along and suggest I am criticising all Thai's in this assumption that 200m is not really an accurate measurement. However, it has been my experience that many Thai's I know and have worked with would have difficulty judging whether something is 200m or 50m...

Thus: In drawing my own 'arm-chair-detective' opinions and assumptions I ignored the 200m comment in the report as its accuracy is improbable.

Having stayed near HuaHin hospital from december to march, I have used this U-turn many times. After turning we end up on the merging lane, not the fast lane. Then there are two choices....stop and wait for a big enough space between cars to cross to

the slow lane or speed up to gain enough speed to enter safely the fast lane.

It looks like the policeman crossed into the fast lane right away. Now why?

Almost all cars are over the speed limit at this location...I have witnessed it for three months. It is a dangerous place if someone misjudges the speed of incoming cars, especially at nite. I hope it was not the policeman living in my serviced apartments. He had a big yellow motorcycle.

Archived