British tourist kills police in crash

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nonthwat interrogated Benjamin and learned that he was speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin and the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

I guess he was interrogated at the hospital? The police motorcycle had no license plate. I wonder if it had a headlight. Was there a drug alcohol test for the car driver and the motorcycle cop?

• 1 month later...

Why do people keep saying they hope he gets locked up. I know you speed too occasionally, only difference is you haven't killed a cop yet by doing so. When it happens, don't forget to tell the judge to lock you up and throw away the key. 

On 15/04/2015 at 5:30 PM, eeze said:

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

He admitted to speeding.  The missing license plate is such a trivial offence that it is laughable that attempt to use that in mitigation of killing someone while speeding, no alcohol is also not a mitigating factor in causing death through speeding.  He hit the bike so fast it was flung 200 meters, and this was in a town where the limit is 60km/h, clearly he was going much too fast and so he is guilty, simple stuff.

Speeding Gee look at the damage to the car, he must have been close to breaking the sound barrier. I hope the cops are smart enough to check the cars engine computer and they will see exactly what speed he was doing. Still saying this it was the cops fault doing the U turn unless there was a bend in the road and he could not see the speeding car approaching.

• 2 weeks later...

"speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin"  Tourist ?  With a residence in Cha-Am ?  Another case of not letting the facts screw up a good story.  He must of been going at a fair rate of knots to do that damage though...

• 3 weeks later...

What does speeding mean? Going 20 in a 15? Going the speed limit?

if someone whips a u-turn unexpectedly in front of you. Anything over 35, you won't have time to avoid...

dont need alcohol involved to have accidents...only high risk behaviors...

On 15/04/2015 at 5:36 PM, Changoverandout said:

How many times have all of us who drive here had idiots at U turns pull directly into the fast lane without looking?

It's a daily occurrence and luckily I've always managed to avoid them unlike the unfortunate guy here. At U turns it is usually the person who is turning's fault.

I have also had to take evasive action to avoid hitting motor cyclists who U-turned, or even turned right, without bothering to look on that same stretch of road, particularly at night when most of them are probably drunk.

i am not suggesting that Mr Benjamin is entirely innocent but it is also quite possible the deceased was partly or wholly to blame for his own demise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/04/2015 at 3:30 PM, eeze said:

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

he was driving in a reckless manner. Driving far too fast for the conditions. Had he been driving in a reasonable and safe manner he would have the motor cycle and made allowances for it in his driving.

The motor cycle having no number plate is irrelevant.

He should be charged with reckless driving, causing an accident and vehicular man slaughter

On 4/15/2015 at 5:11 PM, Mango Bob said:

Yes, even tourist can act like jerks on the roads here in Thailand. Another poor cop is strike down by a hi-so car. Bring back memories anyone?

Hi-so? This is the ridiculous Thai name for those Thais with too much money and too little sense, including that of responsibility. So how does a Mercedes driven by a British tourist equate to one of those?

Of course, it'll be embarrassing for the authorities to pursue a prosecution of a foreign visitor whilst continuing to faff around with that of a domestic resident (albeit, a part-time one). But then embarrassment, unless it's obvious loss of face, has never been something to faze the Thais.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/15/2015 at 6:54 PM, Costas2008 said:

I love listening to you, saint and super driver, that never disobey the rules in Thailand.

Try to read the article properly, the guy was cut off by the motorbike when the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

Ask yourself, what would you have done in a situation like this?

So stop, trying to be clever and think before you post nonsense.

Love a post top heavy with delicious irony

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2015 at 5:23 PM, jerojero said:

RIP. Speeding car, wild tourist, quick U turn.... Alcohol? Recipe for disaster, and it happened.

Who made the "quick U turn"?

From the OP:

"Nonthwat interrogated Benjamin and learned that he was speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin and the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time." [emphasis mine]

It strikes me that if this is indeed what happened, the deceased probably would have been dead at any speed Benjamin was going. I've had a similar U-turn accident (they hit me when I was in a right turn) and they are virtually impossible to defend against because it can't be predicted if they're actually going to make a U-turn or not when they make the turn in one continuous motion without stopping to clear for traffic.

On 2015-4-15 at 5:30 PM, eeze said:

If you buy new motocycle you are forced to drive 45 days without license plate.

So I dont see it as an argument that police man was in wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

In metro areas in Thailand, I make it a point to drive well, well below the speed limit. Better of course if you are driven  by somebody else, used to the rash Thai traffic.

Another very tragic issue for all the parties involved.

Hopefully, it would not aliment a further pejorative approach towards farangs, from the behalf of Thai's!

RIP to the officer.

6 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Thus blissfully ignorant of causing frustration and accidents for those behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Patterns of driving logic you (may) have learned abroad will not work in Thailand, so perhaps you should keep your (bad) advice to yoursef.

Archived