Living in Pattaya: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

mduras01

Having seen expats in a few countries, the majority who stay long term get married with a local. Then you'll have the "grounding" some so crave and a reason to stay.

Otherwise, it's a seaside resort city also known as the largest open air brothel in the world. Good for mongering vacations.

"Amazes me people say there is nothing to do except bars...well, just what did you do in your Fatherland???"

Colorado, USA.

1. Hike up 14,000 foot mountains in the summer. Pattaya? Nope.

2. Class 4 Whitewater rafting. Pattaya? Nope.

3. Enjoy some of the best champagne powder alpine skiing in the world. Pattaya? You must be high.

4. Speaking of getting high, how about some of the best ganja in the world? Including 70% THC hash oil. And hash oil chocolates that will knock you on your ads for hours. All 100% legal. Pattaya? Hahaha. You must be crazy to do drugs in Thailand.

5. Enjoy many choices of excellent microbrewed beer. Pattaya? Nope.

6. Enjoy an endless summer of music festivals at Telluride or Red Rocks. Camp out on site. Pattaya? Camping? Music festivals? What?

7. Enjoy hanging out in a intellectual college town in Boulder. Pattaya? Intellectuals? What's that?

8. Enjoy modern cuisine in Denver at Root Down--A converted gas station. Artful, high-energy venue for creative American small plates. And at least a dozen other restaurants. Pattaya? LOL.

9. Cross country ski up forest service trails in the winter. Pattaya? The "forest"? Been cut down so long ago they have no idea where it used to be.

10. Probably dozens of other things to do in Colorado that don't exist in Pattaya, but I won't bore the geniuses who think Pattaya has "everything", 555

So you like Pattaya better then? Good for you....bet the Thai food in colorado is more expensive. Best to stay in boulder then, its shit here, you won't like it. Another beer please barkeep....
  • Like 1

An 82-year-old friend of mine who has lived in Pattaya for 20 years recently wrote to me. I had written to him on many many occasions telling him about my fears, concerns, and worries about retiring to Thailand. This friend has a GREAT attitude and this letter is what he recently shared with me:

"Hey John,

As you are well aware, 20 years ago, I picked up my life and moved to Pattaya, where I knew no one, and everything felt new. With my family on the other side of the world, this was TRULY the first time in my life I had utterly been on my own… I mean really on my own. I felt like I had landed on another planet called "Thailand." Vacationing in Thailand was completely different than living here.

During the initial stages of getting used to my totally foreign and unfamiliar surroundings, I was distracted by the culture shock-value of the whole experience. “What did I get myself into?" was a question I suddenly felt consumed by. "Did I make the right decision?” I'd ask myself constantly. Sure, I knew that my choice would ultimately be rewarding, but I wasn’t prepared for the journey that would come before that point.

Today, I’m incredibly grateful I took that risk because it has taught me so much about life, myself and what I want for my "golden years." So when you decide it's time to embark on your new life in Thailand, here are some of my personal views and suggestions on ways to get started on the right foot:

1. Get involved with something.

Immersing yourself in something out of your box is a great way to tap into a deeper sense of your purpose. So dive into something! The best way to familiarize yourself with a culture is to learn their language. Please believe me, it makes a HUGE difference in your enjoyment of this fabulous country.

If you look up organizations or groups that you feel strongly about, chances are you will start to meet people that share those same passions. Expat groups are great, but try to choose expat friends who are active. Maybe take a “learning to speak Thai” course. Take a Thai cooking class. (I did and even my Thai friends love my Gang Karee Gai!) If the idea of learning how to meditate interests you, what better place than Thailand to learn how to meditate? Study art. Take a course in the art of authentic Thai massage. I took one at Wat Pho in Bangkok and I am always being asked by friends for a quick shoulder rub. It sure is an ice breaker, let me tell you! Write poetry. Learn how to play guitar. Take up sketching or painting. If you’re not too out of shape, take a kickboxing class and if you are out of shape, sign up at a gym and hire a Thai gym instructor to kick your butt into shape! Invite a group of friends to take an evening dinner cruise down the Chao Praya River in Bangkok at night. The river and lights are spectacularly beautiful at night in Bangkok.

Whatever it is, finding a sense of "newness" in your life on a regular basis will empower you, and give you a sense of focus and passion.

2. Push yourself out of your comfort zone

A huge part of personal growth actually involves finding a supportive community. Especially if you're in the place of wanting to start from scratch, you may be feeling the desire to make new friends, which undoubtedly can be challenging and even sometimes awkward at first. If you are shy, take baby steps.

As a person who thrives off my best friends’ support, this was one of the most frustrating parts of my move. But you can take steps to be intentional about your social life. Say yes to everything you are invited to, even if it’s out of your comfort zone. Yes, you may feel overly-friendly at first. But who cares? In the end, they could become one of your best friends. Hang out at that beach. Become an avid people watcher. Strike up casual conversations with passers-by. Go to malls and observe people. Go online and meet Thai and expat friends on dating sites. Some sites encourage friendship finding. Not everything has to be about sex.

3. Consistently plan something you can look forward to.

It's important that you do things to let yourself know you care about yourself. Plan a special trip to see something new and interesting in Thailand that you have never seen before. I KNOW you will be surprised at what’s out there in Thailand that you NEVER KNEW even existed. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS. The Bangkok Post often has sections revealing unusual places to see and explore in Thailand. You're only limited by your imagination (and budget, of course!). At least you have the internet. When I first came here, everything was only by word of mouth. Also, you can take short trips to neighboring countries. EXPLORE!! If you are a "stay at home" stick-in-the-mud kind of person, you WILL be miserable here (or anywhere for that matter.) Please remember: life is only what you make it. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a short ride. Have some fun!!!

4. Appreciate the silence.

When I moved to Thailand, it was the first time in my life I was forced to be alone for an extended period of time. I’ve learned that how you handle silence says the most about who you are as a person. Sitting in silence completely alone gives your mind a chance to unwind, and you can hear yourself think so clearly. Self-inquiry almost always involves "being with yourself" in some way, which can be extremely overwhelming. Find things that make the process easier, whether it be a new hobby like painting or playing music. Be patient with yourself. Write a journal. Treat yourself like you would a friend, and appreciate the quiet time you have with yourself. Create a fun, positive small circle of friends to do things with. Plan special dinner parties. Invite new friends over. Have a “Movie” night. Visit Thai universities. See if they offer anything for farangs.

Make some THAI friends. They can show you things in Thailand off the beaten track.

5. Nurture yourself.

Things aren’t always going to go according to plan in any transition. Be patient, kind and compassionate — because it will take time for everything to pan out. But in that awkward transition period, don’t be too hard on yourself and enjoy it! Skype with friends and family back home. Use this experience as a time to be selfish and focus on yourself. What do you want to learn? What habits do you want to shed? Do you have new goals? Are there areas of your life you want to improve? Realize your life is yours, and no one else's. This may feel like it puts the pressure on, but it also is a realization that gives you so much freedom. That kind of self-love and attention will help you become the best version of yourself. Onward!

Carpe diem, my friend,"

Great advice and f you can follow it you will be happy wherever you are with friends or without them but I suspect that if you can successfully follow that advice you would finish up with many many friends and acquaintances

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I came to Thailand 2002 found 5 years later my wife and settled down in Pattaya Darkside.

First of all, Pattaya is not real Thailand as we know with all the Nightlife, Tourists and so on..

What made me moving here was mainly the close connection to the airport what is ideal for working abroad.

I left Germany basically chewing on last grizzle and with my wife we established a flourishing life as freelancer.

Then the options when it comes to shopping, you get all western stuff you might miss from time to time and still can go to the Thai markets to score your meats and veggies.

The location of Pattaya is great if you want to go for a ride, either direction are just under 1000 Km if you chose Phuket or Chiang Mai/Pai or Nong Khai..

The Immigration is just around the corner and the service is in my opinion great and professional. People who are moaning are mostly people who come with half the paperwork and expect that they still get the Visas the same day.

I am mostly at home with my wife, but when Friends coming from Europe its not problem having a great night out.

The Hospitals are on a good standard so I feel relatively safe if the :hit-the-fan:

I plan in 2-3 years to retire from my travelling jobs and then I'll say good bye to Pattaya and move countryside as I grew up in a small farmers and seaman's village and miss a bit the quietness and countryside life, but for so long Pattaya is for me a great spot to live even it's grown to a big city while I lived here and it gets me a bit too busy now...