1 yr extension of stay on new Ret Visa with visa run.

I know how to get my ViSA "extension" via the normal method with all the paperwork. I've done it nine times now but my question is this.

I have (obtain out of country) a new 1 year multiple entry Retirement "VISA" (not an extension for those who cannot read) that is due to expire June 22nd. Never left the country during this time. If I understand the rules, I can fly out of Swampy to another country and return the next day or two and have my passport stamped with an "extension" for 1 more year. I do this during the last 30 days of the VISA. All I need to do is get another re-entry permit for the new year to keep it active later. Is this correct?

I see Don Muang also has flights out of the country. Can this be done thru that hub also upon return?

If you have an O/A visa which remains valid you will indeed receive a one year "permission" to stay on each entry to the country.

"Extensions" are never provided at airports or border posts.

Once the visa has expired a re-entry permit would be required to keep your "permission to stay" alive.

If you have a non-oa visa you can do a border crossing on or before the enter before date on your visa and get a new one year entry.

You do not have to fly out and back nor be out of the country any amount of time.

Then get a re-entry permit to keep that one year permit to stay valid if you want to travel.

Thanks Ubonjoe. This subject has come up many times before and you always get those helpful ones that give more answers than was asked it muddles up the basic question and answer.

Simply stated. This applies to any 1 year "Non-OA Visa". (hence not for Non-O) Leaving either by air or ground, upon return, you receive a new "permission" to stay which will expire one year less a day from the date of re-entry. But your return must be before the original expiration date. A new re-entry permit is then required to keep it alive if one wishes to travel. At the end of that one year then one needs to obtain an "Extension of Stay" which is entirely different matter because it comes within the country, as the OA comes from outside the country.

Did I state it correctly? If I did I've got to try it once.

Thanks Ubonjoe. This subject has come up many times before and you always get those helpful ones that give more answers than was asked it muddles up the basic question and answer.

Simply stated. This applies to any 1 year "Non-OA Visa". (hence not for Non-O) Leaving either by air or ground, upon return, you receive a new "permission" to stay which will expire one year less a day from the date of re-entry. But your return must be before the original expiration date. A new re-entry permit is then required to keep it alive if one wishes to travel. At the end of that one year then one needs to obtain an "Extension of Stay" which is entirely different matter because it comes within the country, as the OA comes from outside the country.

Did I state it correctly? If I did I've got to try it once.

Yes.

In The Netherlands it is possible to get a Non-O (retirement) visa with single entry (maximum stay 90 days) or multiple entries (validity 1 year, each entry maximum 90 days). For these two types of visa they do not require a Thai bank account, 20,000 euros in a Dutch bank account is enough. OP is mentioning a Non-OA visa and apparently did not leave the country during the whole year. Is this Non-OA of OP comparable with the multiple entry Non-O I am referring to or is this something completely different?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In The Netherlands it is possible to get a Non-O (retirement) visa with single entry (maximum stay 90 days) or multiple entries (validity 1 year, each entry maximum 90 days). For these two types of visa they do not require a Thai bank account, 20,000 euros in a Dutch bank account is enough. OP is mentioning a Non-OA visa and apparently did not leave the country during the whole year. Is this Non-OA of OP comparable with the multiple entry Non-O I am referring to or is this something completely different?

Address your questions to the Dutch Royal Thai embassy.

I am sure they will issue an O/A visa if you qualify .

I know I can ask them, but I'm in Thailand right now with a Non-O (and soon on extension of stay). And I am sure they will issue one if I qualify, but what I was asking is: what is the difference between a multiple entry Non-O and the Non-OA?

Edited by thuisinthailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know I can ask then, but I'm in Thailand right now with a Non-O (and soon on extension of stay).

So what is the question ?

If you are applying for an extension of stay what are you looking for ?

I was surprised to read the original posting from OP: I did not know that with a Non-OA visa it is possible to enter Thailand and stay for 1 year, without having to apply for extension of stay (based on retirement) during the last month of the 90 day initial stay. Apparently OP got a 1 year entry directly when arriving in Thailand. At least, that is how I read his post.

So I was wandering if the Non-OA might be a better option then the Non-O. That's all. (Although I'm fully aware that I can keep my current scheme going, as long as I don't forget to get the re-entry permit before leaving Thailand).

I know how to get my ViSA "extension" via the normal method with all the paperwork. I've done it nine times now but my question is this.

I have (obtain out of country) a new 1 year multiple entry Retirement "VISA" (not an extension for those who cannot read)

"'I know how to get my ViSA "extension" '

Actually visas are never extended. You were getting extensions of stay which allows you to remain/stay IN Thailand, but they do not permit you to exit & return to Thailand as a visa would do. That's why, without a valid visa but with an extension of stay, you need a re-entry permit.

I was surprised to read the original posting from OP: I did not know that with a Non-OA visa it is possible to enter Thailand and stay for 1 year, without having to apply for extension of stay (based on retirement) during the last month of the 90 day initial stay. Apparently OP got a 1 year entry directly when arriving in Thailand. At least, that is how I read his post.

So I was wandering if the Non-OA might be a better option then the Non-O. That's all. (Although I'm fully aware that I can keep my current scheme going, as long as I don't forget to get the re-entry permit before leaving Thailand).

It may well be a better option, but there are some additional requirements and a higher fee to be paid. You need to meet all the requirements for a non- O for purpose of retirement, plus you must submit a notarized criminal background check and a medical certificate. Also, the non-OA can only be requested from a Royal Thai Embassy in a country of which you are a citizen or have residence. The cost is 5,000 Baht. The non-OA visa is discussed in the Long Stay section at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.royalthaiembassy.nl/site/pages/visaservices/doing_business-study-other.html

Edit: The difference between an O and O-A visa is discussed here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781835-o-and-oa-visa/

You can get almost 2 years out of a O-A if you time it correctly (how is explained in the link). That's a big advantage.

Edited by skatewash