Fellow Farangs

CymruAmByth

Is it just me, or is Thailand (Bangkok especially) inhabited by fellow farangs that seem to have no shame in bumming stuff from you?

For about the 10th time in my 4 years here I have just pi$$ed a fellow farang off for not letting him "..borrow a cigarette."

These things are 60 baht a pack for christs sake!

I am far from stingy, but it really pi$$es me off when obviously well-heeled folk are so cheap!

Anyone else suffer from this syndrome?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or is Thailand (Bangkok especially) inhabited by fellow farangs that seem to have no shame in bumming stuff from you?

For about the 10th time in my 4 years here I have just pi$$ed a fellow farang off for not letting him "..borrow a cigarette."

I am far from stingy, but it really pi$$es me off when obviously well-heeled folk are so cheap!

Maybe he was just trying to help you give up smoking.............look on the bright side! :o

Maybe he was just trying to help you give up smoking.............look on the bright side! :o

The bright side was darkened by his accompanying comment "Actually, I have given up smoking"

The bright side was darkened by his accompanying comment "Actually, I have given up smoking"

Yorkie gave up this mornin, untill he decided he could walk 50 metres to the shop.

Then you should feel a great sense of accomplishment at having helped him to keep off the weed.

One up to you, Pal!

look my good and honest man,

you are a frigging hero for keeping the old death sticks to your self.

fella,

you take my mate bronco's , mate yorkie, :D

now yorkie,

has smoked that many cigarettes that the poor blighter cant get down to the rubbity dub dub any more. :D

bronco has to carry him and he's freaking heavy, as i'll give you the big tip. :D

any way, cheers to you friend :o

Ah, one of those people that gives up buying ciggies first. Perfect rebuttal 'well then you wont be needing a cigarette will you mate'. Be sure to disgustedly say 'bloody cancer sticks' as you spark your next one up in front of him. :D

Yeah i hate those cheap farangs. You have just run out of ciggies and you ask your friend for one till you get to the shop and they tell you to piss off because they are like 60 baht a pack. Now that is what i call a bloody cheap farang :o:D

My favourite is when some "traveller " complete with mobile laptop etc,asks for a discount over service etc.

Then when told no complains he has no money as hes on a budget for a YEARS holiday.

Ive also had westerners (ive never met before) ask if they can finish my food when they see any left overs in the resturant.<deleted>

:o

Yeah i hate those cheap farangs. You have just run out of ciggies and you ask your friend for one till you get to the shop and they tell you to piss off because they are like 60 baht a pack. Now that is what i call a bloody cheap farang :o:D

Urm...the word 'friend' did not appear in my OP.

If you are going to try to be sarcastic, read the OP properly please.

And no, you can't have a cigarette.

So let me get the figures right

10 X

4 Years

60 baht

__________ :D

so thats

30 baht

4 Years

so its cost you 7 1/2 baht a year. :D

You rich bastards really piss me off. How you can afford expense like that year in gets me right in the wallet. I bet you are real big tipper as well keeping your loose satang to hand out willy nilly.

Joking aside its a pittance man if you dont want to give a guy a cig then dont but to get yourself wound up over it is beyond belief. get a life man :D

So let me get the figures right

10 X

4 Years

60 baht

so thats

30 baht

4 Years

so its cost you 7 1/2 baht a year. :D

You rich bastards really piss me off. How you can afford expense like that year in gets me right in the wallet. I bet you are real big tipper as well keeping your loose satang to hand out willy nilly.

Joking aside its a pittance man if you dont want to give a guy a cig then dont but to get yourself wound up over it is beyond belief. get a life man :D

Seems like someone else is 'wound up' too.

Shall we go looking for a life together? We might get some bulk discount and I can get rid of some of my loose satang at the same time.

My favourite is when some "traveller " complete with mobile laptop etc,asks for a discount over service etc.

Then when told no complains he has no money as hes on a budget for a YEARS holiday.

Being stingy with the money you have is one thing, throwing away business (money) is another.

I'm with you on this Cymru.

It's the principle of the thing, not the cost. Nobody (i would hope) would dare come over and say "hey, can i have a few of your french fries" or "hiya mate, can you pour some of your beer into my glass. I've just given up drinking and don't want to buy a full one" :o

When i'm in the UK and my Thai ciggies have finished. I have to pay £5.35 a packet. Guess what i say when someone wants to scrounge one off me then :D

Funny you say that. Because I was in Starbucks in Central Hong Kong on saturday and someone I know who is a Director of Citigroup sitting at another table asked me to give him some of my cappucino.

I had a massive cup so I poured some into his.

It sounds crazy doesn't it, but it really happened !! Sounds bizarre now I reflect on it.

Firstly , this happens everywhere. Happens here in France.

When the OP said 60b I think he meant ONLY 60b.

As somebody else pointed out they are a lot more expensive in Europe.

I would ask a friend for a ciggie , but never a perfect stranger.

As for a response , a "no" sometimes offends but a simple "f*uck off" works better.

:o

I'm with you on this Cymru.

It's the principle of the thing, not the cost. Nobody (i would hope) would dare come over and say "hey, can i have a few of your french fries" or "hiya mate, can you pour some of your beer into my glass. I've just given up drinking and don't want to buy a full one" :o

When i'm in the UK and my Thai ciggies have finished. I have to pay £5.35 a packet. Guess what i say when someone wants to scrounge one off me then :D

Spot on. It IS the priniciple.

If I dont have any smokes, I walk outside the pub and into one of the 2,500 7/11 shops here in BKK and splash out (using my loose satang) to buy my own.

It is not difficult and the incident in question happened within 20 yards of a shop!

Funny you say that. Because I was in Starbucks in Central Hong Kong on saturday and someone I know who is a Director of Citigroup sitting at another table asked me to give him some of my cappucino.

It sounds crazy doesn't it, but it really happened !! Sounds bizarre now I reflect on it.

Do you do this regularly or was it just his position in Citigroup that prevented you from telling him to F*@K OFF!

Any other bright pearls of wisdom to share with us?
You acted absolutely correctly. People who look askance at your refusal do not understand the legal risks involved in giving somebody a cigarette.

What is printed on those cigarette packs? “Smoking kills”; “Smoking seriously damages your health”; etc. Give a cigarette to a beggar in the USA, 30 years later he dies from lung cancer, and his relatives sue you for all you are worth because you contributed to his death. It is only a matter of time until such things will happen also in Thailand.

Now, if the beggar signed a document to release you from all responsibility, co-signed by two witnesses, all three signatures legalized up the Foreign Ministry of Thailand, you could take a chance and give him a cigarette.

--------------

Maestro

I have noticed people all over the world have no shame asking for a cigarette, regardless of their financial position. Sometimes I think it is a way of saying " hello ", in an odd sort of way. I also tend to believe that many people specifically don't buy them to reduce their chance of chain smoking. By relying on borrowed cigs, they significantly reduce the amount the actually smoke.

Don't forget to send him an invoice, with service-charge & sales-tax, plus a £25 charge for writing the letter. :o

After all the money that bankers have screwed out of me, over the years, I'd love to see somebody get one back ! :D