Fellow Farangs

CymruAmByth

ummmm Cheap would be a good description of the OP and the other guy :o

Wow...that was a post of some substance!

Thanks for the input and nice to see how quickly you arrive at your usual antagnostic drivel.

OK ... I'll bite .....

How would you like us to respond?

Man that guy's cheap! How dare he ask for something worth 3 baht?

sorry ... but you are right maybe he is cheap .......

the flip side is ... thinking someone is cheap <and denying them for the expense or whatever> for asking for a 3 baht cigarette IS cheap! <a 4 baht cigarrette if you buy them from the bar :D>

So really .... should we just say that He was cheap and not you? Who knows he might have bought you a drink for saving him from buying a pack when he was trying to quit ... then again he may have walked to the next guy and mooched off him .... we'll never know!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

usual antagnostic

Hey CAB,

Are you saying that JD only knows about all things materialistic and that nothing can be known about the existance of God?

Ah, not Agnostic but meant to say Antagonistic, me thinks.

Sorry Couldn't resist it.

Good Luck

Moss :o:D

I'm with you on this Cymru.

It's the principle of the thing, not the cost. Nobody (i would hope) would dare come over and say "hey, can i have a few of your french fries" or "hiya mate, can you pour some of your beer into my glass. I've just given up drinking and don't want to buy a full one" :o

When i'm in the UK and my Thai ciggies have finished. I have to pay £5.35 a packet. Guess what i say when someone wants to scrounge one off me then :D

They might not be scrounging though. Maybe the guy that asked the op for a smoke had forgotten his wallet, or maybe it was stolen or he was mugged for it. Maybe the poor fellow had just heard that someone in his family had just died and needed a smoke to calm his nerves. If he was a well to do fellow like the op points out then why would he want to scrounge a smoke especially when he was only seconds away from a 7/11?

But don't worry cymru i will remember not to ask you if i ever need to borrow 3 baht. And there was me thinking the Welsh were a generous bunch. But Bojangles i can understand being tight cause he is Northern and they are world famous for being the biggest bunch of cheap charlies going :D

Thanks for the input and nice to see how quickly you arrive at your usual antagnostic drivel.

OK ... I'll bite .....

the flip side is ... thinking someone is cheap <and denying them for the expense or whatever> for asking for a 3 baht cigarette IS cheap! <a 4 baht cigarrette if you buy them from the bar :D>

So really .... should we just say that He was cheap and not you? Who knows he might have bought you a drink for saving him from buying a pack when he was trying to quit ... then again he may have walked to the next guy and mooched off him .... we'll never know!

Thanks for biting.

Actually, my OP was asking if anyone else finds that they get more of this type of request (mooching to use your term) than they did 'back home.'

I did not ask you, or anyone else, to respond with personal slights about whether I am cheap or not. I merely asked if anyone else suffers from normal, everyday folk asking for something that costs 3 baht when there is a shop 10 yards away selling the very same thing.

And to follow your logic, I should be happy to buy cigarettes and hand them out to anyone that wants one (and can't be bothered to go buy some themselves) because they are only 3 or 4 baht?

usual antagnostic

Hey CAB,

Are you saying that JD only knows about all things materialistic and that nothing can be known about the existance of God?

Ah, not Agnostic but meant to say Antagonistic, me thinks.

Sorry Couldn't resist it.

Good Luck

Moss :o:D

Nice one! No need to apologise, I would have done the same.

I'm with you on this Cymru.

It's the principle of the thing, not the cost. Nobody (i would hope) would dare come over and say "hey, can i have a few of your french fries" or "hiya mate, can you pour some of your beer into my glass. I've just given up drinking and don't want to buy a full one" :o

When i'm in the UK and my Thai ciggies have finished. I have to pay £5.35 a packet. Guess what i say when someone wants to scrounge one off me then :D

They might not be scrounging though. Maybe the guy that asked the op for a smoke had forgotten his wallet, or maybe it was stolen or he was mugged for it. Maybe the poor fellow had just heard that someone in his family had just died and needed a smoke to calm his nerves. If he was a well to do fellow like the op points out then why would he want to scrounge a smoke especially when he was only seconds away from a 7/11?

But don't worry cymru i will remember not to ask you if i ever need to borrow 3 baht. And there was me thinking the Welsh were a generous bunch. But Bojangles i can understand being tight cause he is Northern and they are world famous for being the biggest bunch of cheap charlies going :D

I wouldn't have minded so much if he sparked it up and sat down to shoot the breeze with me, but he stuck it behind his ear and f**ked off!

Sorry guys, but I can't really get worked up over one addict trying to bum a 3 baht death stick from another addict, who gets pissed off because he's been put upon 10 times in four years.

It costs more than 3 Baht to take a piss in Pattaya. :o

Pretty seedy and sordid anyway you want to look at it. :D

Is it just me, or is Thailand (Bangkok especially) inhabited by fellow farangs that seem to have no shame in bumming stuff from you?

For about the 10th time in my 4 years here I have just pi$$ed a fellow farang off for not letting him "..borrow a cigarette."

These things are 60 baht a pack for christs sake!

I am far from stingy, but it really pi$$es me off when obviously well-heeled folk are so cheap!

Anyone else suffer from this syndrome?

OK ... I'll bite .....

Thanks for biting.

Actually, my OP was asking if anyone else finds that they get more of this type of request (mooching to use your term) than they did 'back home.'

I did not ask you, or anyone else, to respond with personal slights about whether I am cheap or not. I merely asked if anyone else suffers from normal, everyday folk asking for something that costs 3 baht when there is a shop 10 yards away selling the very same thing.

And to follow your logic, I should be happy to buy cigarettes and hand them out to anyone that wants one (and can't be bothered to go buy some themselves) because they are only 3 or 4 baht?

10 whole times in 4 years? ....

Nowhere did you ask in that first post dis you ask if it happens here more than at home. <and no it happened moreat home> Yes you did imply these 10 guys you pissed off were cheap .... and yes I do think that if you managed to piss off 10 people in 4 yearsby saying no .... that this is probably about you! You qualified the guy in particular from the OP that he had quit/was quitting which would really explain not wanting to buy a pack regardless of the cost.

and sorry I cant think of when I have told someone No when asked for a cigarette.

Is it just me, or is Thailand (Bangkok especially) inhabited by fellow farangs that seem to have no shame in bumming stuff from you?

For about the 10th time in my 4 years here I have just pi$$ed a fellow farang off for not letting him "..borrow a cigarette."

I am far from stingy, but it really pi$$es me off when obviously well-heeled folk are so cheap!

OK ... I'll bite .....

Thanks for biting.

Nowhere did you ask in that first post dis you ask if it happens here more than at home. <and no it happened moreat home> Yes you did imply these 10 guys you pissed off were cheap .... and yes I do think that if you managed to piss off 10 people in 4 yearsby saying no .... that this is probably about you! You qualified the guy in particular from the OP that he had quit/was quitting which would really explain not wanting to buy a pack regardless of the cost.

and sorry I cant think of when I have told someone No when asked for a cigarette.

I am so pleased to have sparked such a lively debate with such a saintly type.

Please let me know where you dispense your bounty of cigarettes, I would like to get in line.

But Bojangles i can understand being tight cause he is Northern and they are world famous for being the biggest bunch of cheap charlies going :o

To me, a cheap charlie is someone who goes out of their way not to pay certain prices and don't give tips etc. In this instance, it is the guy scrounging free ciggies, who i would say is the cheap charlie. Not the guy who has worked hard for his money and gone out and bought his own ciggies :D

Besides, us Northerner's aren't tight. We are prudent :D I don't go working down the mine for 28 hours a day, to have -4 hours sleep in my cardboard box, that is now in a puddle. To go and give all my money to a Southern softie, who drives on smooth tarmac roads, instead of using a pony and cart and driving on HARD cobbles :D

OK ... I'll bite .....

Thanks for biting.

Please let me know where you dispense your bounty of cigarettes, I would like to get in line.

Come to the next Phuket Pissup! i'll give you a cigarette ... geeze I'll give you 10! <If you promise for the next 4 years NOT to say no when someone asks for a cigarette>

I wouldn't have minded so much if he sparked it up and sat down to shoot the breeze with me, but he stuck it behind his ear and f**ked off!

But you said in your OP

Please try to be consistent.

Not really the same principle is it Mobi. That is for a Service Charge for someone having work in a toilet, arguably, keeping it clean :D

Now, if the said ciggie scrounger wanted to clean my shoes first and then ask for a ciggie, that would put a different light on the case. :D

Not really the same principle is it Mobi. That is for a Service Charge for someone having work in a toilet, arguably, keeping it clean :D

Now, if the said ciggie scrounger wanted to clean my shoes first and then ask for a ciggie, that would put a different light on the case. :D

And having done with his disgusting snout - what does he do with it?

Toss it in the urinal, for the lowly urinal cleaner to flush out for a lousy 5 Baht a 'head'.

There's a moral to this story somewhere :D

Funny you say that. Because I was in Starbucks in Central Hong Kong on saturday and someone I know who is a Director of Citigroup sitting at another table asked me to give him some of my cappucino.

I had a massive cup so I poured some into his.

It sounds crazy doesn't it, but it really happened !! Sounds bizarre now I reflect on it.

I can't believe you gave someone half your coffee! They'd have a ghost of a chance of ever getting some from me! :o

The moral of this story ....... is that even if you arestanding on a principle ---- whinging about 3 baht makes one look cheap :o`

No, the moral of this story is that if you have a principle, don't post it on here cos someone will link it to a money thing and try to make you look like you are cheap. :D

The moral of this story ....... is that even if you arestanding on a principle ---- whinging about 3 baht makes one look cheap :o`

No, the moral of this story is that if you have a principle, don't post it on here cos someone will link it to a money thing and try to make you look like you are cheap. :D

I am bound to agree.

OK ... I'll bite .....

Thanks for biting.

Come to the next Phuket Pissup! i'll give you a cigarette ... geeze I'll give you 10! <If you promise for the next 4 years NOT to say no when someone asks for a cigarette>

Many thanks for the offer, but I will have to decline.

Your request to cave-in to scroungers does not jive with me. However, as previously mentioned, it is honourable that you feel there is no problem working hard (which I assume you do) only to give away stuff to people who can perfectly well afford it themselves just because they ask.

Does the 'D' in your forum name stand for 'Doormat' ?

Nope ... sorry ... am just not cheap .... 10 whole times in 4 years! and you said the guy told you he had quit/was quiting :o

but I'll up the offer ... I'll buy you an entire pack and you can keep 10 free ... just don't be cheap 10 times in a row! Now there's a pay-off in it for you

But you said in your OP

I never said I did not 'give' him the cigarette.

Smoker or not, I am sure you agree it is impossible for someone to borrow one.

Nope ... sorry ... am just not cheap .... 10 whole times in 4 years! and you said the guy told you he had quit/was quiting :o

but I'll up the offer ... I'll buy you an entire pack and you can keep 10 free ... just don't be cheap 10 times in a row! Now there's a pay-off in it for you

Hmm...not bad.

Would you mind if I managed to get 10 x 3thb for the free ones?

I could put it towards buying you half a beer.

But you said in your OP

If someone borrows 100baht from me, I don't expect to get the exact note back that I lent him. Same same with cigarettes.

If, as you now say, you did gave him one, how did you p1ss him off?

But you said in your OP

If someone borrows 100baht from me, I don't expect to get the exact note back that I lent him. Same same with cigarettes.

If, as you now say, you did gave him one, how did you p1ss him off?

yeppers .... no internal consistancy in this guys posts .. either he didn't give the guy one and pissed him off .... OR ... he gave the guy one and the guy walked and he felt ROBBED of those 3 baht

These things are [only] 60 baht a pack for christs sake!

Who needs 60 baht when half the mom & pop shops sell loosies for 5 baht (3 for 10 baht)!

Or maybe he was just trying to start a conversation with you, mmmm?

Maybe you should start wearing a watch so he can ask you for the time instead, mmmm?

Mythology sometimes overwhelms reality.

In my personal experience, the Gentleman Scamp sometimes DID buy a round of drinks, though the urban legend stated that he always hid in the khasi when the check-bin arrived.

Who's that .. ?

totster :o

just say no.

If they get offended it´s their problem not yours.

I work in a bar in a tourist town.

every day I´m "asked" to give probably thrity or forty cigarettes by different people.

I smoke that many, too.

So a few years ago I started selling individual cigs.

Tell ´em "no you can´t have one, but I´ll sell you one."

And I sell it at about twice the price, so within eight or ten smokes I can buy a pack.

It pays for my habit.

I do not smoke anymore but when I did I got tired of people asking me for smokes. Seems some people only smoke OPs (Other Peoples) so here'e what I did. I bought the cheapest most worst pack of cigs (back then it was Cools) and carried a pack with me. Instead of giving them a Marlboro which I was smoking I pulled out this crumbled pack of 6 monyh old Cools and offered them one. Most did not take one and the ones that did only took one puff before choking. :o

The moral of this story:

DON'T LOOK DOWN WHEN YOU P :D:o

:D

Sorry guys, but I can't really get worked up over one addict trying to bum a 3 baht death stick from another addict, who gets pissed off because he's been put upon 10 times in four years.

It costs more than 3 Baht to take a piss in Pattaya[/b]. :D

Pretty seedy and sordid anyway you want to look at it. :D