30 day stamp 30 day extension - hassle free?

WhiteCadillac

1900 THB, 2 photos, but they do them there (100 thb), copies of pertinent passport pages, and maybe some kind of itinerary or tickets showing you are actually going to leave. Why wouldn't you get a 30 at MaeSai?

There have been reports that if you go to Mae Sai and try to do a border crossing to get another 30 days, they just send you to the local immigration office to get a 30 day extension. The Thai officials would rather have the 1900 baht extension fee than have you spend 500 baht for a Burmese entry visa.

I've observed people getting the 30 day extension lately and it seems to be fairly painless -- compared to other procedures at CM Immigration. About as complicated as doing a 90 day report. You can get all the copies and the photo needed done at the little copy shop behind the office for a reasonable price. They know exactly what's needed.

Edited by NancyL

There have been reports that if you go to Mae Sai and try to do a border crossing to get another 30 days, they just send you to the local immigration office to get a 30 day extension. The Thai officials would rather have the 1900 baht extension fee than have you spend 500 baht for a Burmese entry visa.

I've observed people getting the 30 day extension lately and it seems to be fairly painless -- compared to other procedures at CM Immigration. About as complicated as doing a 90 day report. You can get all the copies and the photo needed done at the little copy shop behind the office for a reasonable price. They know exactly what's needed.

I presume this is optional?

They can't stop you leaving the country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You don't need proof of onward travel. The pages you need to photocopy in your passport are the i.d page and the page showing your stamp. Photos as mentioned. Pick up the form outside and don't forget to bring a pen.

Or download the form, fill it in on your computer and print it out before going.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/7-tm7-extension-of-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-application-form/

"They can't stop you leaving the country."

But they can and do stop people leaving the country at some land border posts, particularly if they know you either won't be admitted to the other country or if you want to return to Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry instead of getting an extension at the immigration office. You can still leave, but at a different crossing or by air.

Read threads on the subject:

Hey all I have a big issue! I'm at the border in Mae Sai and they aren't letting anyone through! They are saying new regulations we can only fly out of the country and won't let me cross into Myanmar. Anyone know what's up?? This is for everyone here mostly Canadian and American on different types of visas

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725037-mae-sai-not-allowing-visa-runs-as-of-today/

Last week I went to Mae Sai rather than extend my tourist visa, on it's last day, in Chiang Mai.

The official at the border refused to let me/us leave Thailand, to go into Tachilek shopping to return ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/773057-not-allowed-out-no-voa-at-mae-sai/

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I would suggest you get your photo copying done before you go immigration,as there is one machine and one girl doing the business there and god help you if there is a queue as its hot there.photo okay different

girl,couple of minutes.to do

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You don't need proof of onward travel. The pages you need to photocopy in your passport are the i.d page and the page showing your stamp. Photos as mentioned. Pick up the form outside and don't forget to bring a pen.

Or download the form, fill it in on your computer and print it out before going.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/7-tm7-extension-of-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-application-form/

"They can't stop you leaving the country."

But they can and do stop people leaving the country at some land border posts, particularly if they know you either won't be admitted to the other country or if you want to return to Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt entry instead of getting an extension at the immigration office. You can still leave, but at a different crossing or by air.

not being pendantic or anything mate, but just curious,why would u want to go to a country your not going to get in,apart from u not got visa or something,give us a example,if u can just wondering about the proplem.

You should take up the subject with ubonjoe, the moderator of TV Visa forum, quite the expert on the subject of visas and what's happening around the country: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/802324-visa-run-into-myanmar/?p=9099770&hl=%2Bmae+%2Bsai

I'm merely reporting what I've read from the reports of those who have been there.

And yes, uptheos -- you're right. They can't stop you from leaving the country, but they sure as heck can stop you from re-entering. And I do personally know of someone who had that happen to him, but not over this issue. It was over another issue where the guy just wouldn't listen to the Thai immigration officials who said he wouldn't be allowed back in if he left, Tachileik is not a good place to be stranded, either.

Edited by NancyL

Went in at 8 am, left before noon. Packed as usual.

I have a plane ticket out of Bangkok on the 2nd of June. My stamp ends on the ~20th of May. What's my best option to extend the stamp by ~15 days. I am not sure if Mae Sai is not an option anymore. Fly in and out to HongKong/Mandalay?

I had heard that in Mae Sai when you do the border run they only allow 15 day.