Got my marriage non-O extension(first time)

I just got my visa extension and would like to share with you guys my experience because I got pretty scared myself after reading some of posts on this website.

We went to Udon Thani immigration with my wife and two kids on 14 march to apply for an extension of my non-O visa. I brought all the papers that were asked in their brochure and copied them all.

We arrived at around 9:00 with a witness and had to go back home because we needed to bring the original marriage book from Turkey and we needed to copy everything two times. They made the witness sign a paper so he wouldn't have to come again. We left the building around 10.30.

In the afternoon we came back at 14:00, we didn't have to wait again till our number came again. There was an older man that let us go first, giving the reason we had small kids. At 15:00, after signing like a 100 papers, we were finished and told that they would visit our house the next day or the day after. I got a stamp on my passport that my visa was under consideration and I had to come back 13 april. The lady that helped us told we could come 16 april because of Songkran.

Three days later they visited our house, had the signature of our grandmother after a small chat and left again.

We went to immigration at 16 april and they couldn't find my visa so had to come back the next day. The next day we called them and asked if my visa arrived yet, after 10 minutes of searching they found it and we could come and pick it up.

We went there in the morning around 10 o clock and after 30 minutes I was handed back my passport with the extension and told to come back in 90 days for reporting. I inquired about doing the report on internet and was told I could better come to immigration.

Overall, not a bad experience at all, kind people behind the desks at the immigration bureau and they try their best to help.

If anyone has questions, PM or post no problems smile.png

• Like 2

Good to hear that they did not ask for any tea money for the immigration officers who visited your home. I was instructed by the officer I dealt with to have 3K in an envelope ready for them. Again this was at a different immigration office than the one you went to. Happy it went well with no problems for you.

I never had any problems on the first visit. The only thing we needed that was different than every other extension we've done was some paperwork from the village leader. If they came to our house, it wasn't when we were there. I never saw any officials at our house that first year. Maybe they talked to our neighbors. They'd seen us coming and going for over three years because I had a job 500 km from our village. I'd show up every 6 weeks during school break. Applied for the first extension after quitting work and return to North Thailand.

Anyway, your future extensions should be easy enough. Just read the current forums to see if requirements have changed, and go to your appointment over prepared. thumbsup.gif

Edited by connda

@Eddy, wow, that's pretty rude, I don't know how they can get away with that?

I payed only the 1900 Bt, nothing else.

Eddy did qualify his bad experience as being at another Immigration office. They have different ways of looking at their jobs, especially the 'island' offices.

The only issue that does seem a regular occurrence at Udon Thain Immigration is getting solicited for a 'tip' or 'donation' in an underhand but subtly officious manner. For example, the official charge is 1900 baht and the applicant proffers 2000 baht. The person behind the desk, while still holding the passport, will smile and suggest something like, "Neung loy baht... mai bpen rai nah?" The onus is then on the applicant to decide whether as a foreigner it's his duty to make a stand against his hosts petty corruption and insist on getting his change or let it slide and possibly be more favourably treated on his next renewal.

If you proffer the correct amount for every transaction, then it short-circuits any potential money grab and as far as that particular dealing with Immigration is concerned, everyone is happy.

• Like 1

According to recent reports on here (which I can't seem to lay my hands on with the Search facility), Udon Thani have also been issuing 30-day "under consideration" stamps to those retirement extension applicants who are not prepared to make a suitable financial "donation" towards the upkeep of their tea club. So for those retirees living within their catchment area with Thai wives, marriage definitely seems to be the way to go for future extensions since no similar "donations" are apparently requested for marriage extensions based on the OP's experience!

According to recent reports on here (which I can't seem to lay my hands on with the Search facility), Udon Thani have also been issuing 30-day "under consideration" stamps to those retirement extension applicants who are not prepared to make a suitable financial "donation" towards the upkeep of their tea club. So for those retirees living within their catchment area with Thai wives, marriage definitely seems to be the way to go for future extensions since no similar "donations" are apparently requested for marriage extensions based on the OP's experience!

This is the specific thread I had in mind:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811803-retirement-extension-procedural-change-udon-thani/?hl=+udon%20+thani

Post #22 refers to a 1,000 THB "donation" which the poster had to make to the Udon Thani Tea Club in order to have his retirement extension application processed on the spot.

Bit of a bugger if they are making 30-day deferments on retirement extensions a 'new policy' in Udon. When I last filed marriage extensions there a few years back, the lady officer (most eager to ask for donations) would lament the chore of all the paperwork needed and cajole me into getting a retirement extension next time as 'I can give to you same day.' Seems like maybe the tits on the marriage extension cash cow have shrunk accordingly, hence the '1000 baht fast-track' option to avoid the 30-day speed bump they dreamed up for the fast-moving old geezers on retirement papers.

Now I do retirement extensions in Jomtien and don't have these complications.

• Like 1

Good to hear it went well.

I have had a few extensions now and have never had a problem either.

Hint:

Keep copies of everything you just submitted for your extention.

Unless your situation changes over the next year, all you will need to do is copy what you submittedand make a few small changes....like the date you will submit it again.

You will need to submit new photos next year.

I have never had a visit from immigration.

A note from the village head stating that he knows me and confirming my residence in the village, and a photo of the village head was all that they required.