Pattaya - a study in juxtaposition :D

MrWorldwide

Ok - a bit tongue in cheek - but if there is one area of Pattaya where I can see the remnants of an 'old Pattaya' that slots in somewhere between the temples and the highrises, its the section of Second Road between Pattaya Klang and the Dolphin Roundabout. I took a wander down there today to see how far they had progressed with Centric Sea beyond the artists impressions and the early construction photos strewn across the net. Sure enough, they've pretty much finished it.

post-172716-0-87930700-1429374718_thumb.

Clearly, both towers at Centric Sea are complete bar a small section of Tower 1, but it was the abandoned complex on the left and the derelict accommodation on the right that caught my attention, particularly the latter. The old giving way to the new - for many, that has to happen if Pattaya is to move forward, but I still get a kick out of seeing old buildings with a bit of character, particularly in a country with no clear colonial heritage.

This is what's left of the front of the old building - no telling what it's like inside and no danger of Frank Lloyd Wright being supplanted as the greatest architect of the 20th century, but a step up from the abominations that dominate much of Second Road, at least to my eyes.

post-172716-0-79911100-1429375001_thumb.

The only section which appears to have been restored sits above a 7/11 - presumably the owners of the hotel opposite would like to see a little more TLC but I guess that's showbiz.

post-172716-0-83290500-1429375121_thumb.

The Grand Sole Hotel has some very mixed reviews online, but apparently it is as old as the image in their marketing would have us believe, leading me to suspect that the people who designed the terrace stole their design cues from the hotel. Hardly a groundbreaking collection, but an interesting diversion on an afternoon dominated by idiots pouring icewater down people's backs.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What old Pattaya? It was a fishing village little more than 50 years ago. Juxtaposition. That's a big word; it's bigger than marmalade.

your very witty reply, not the comment about Pattaya but the word comparison had me falling around the isles.

That is pure humour and off the cuff, much more needed and wanted here on TVF

If you think that was the height of humour .... I think more medication is needed.

w00t.gif

• Like 2

Actually when I look at Jomtien I see alot more of the old Pattaya ,(early 00's from my perspective) than looking at the new Pattaya.

Now if only the local girls would take up their walking workouts their ...

Edited by morrobay

You know it is really a shame that they do not have some building codes to enforce around here. Just painting these places would make it look so much better. From Nong khai to Chonburi city this same run down look. Then add in some of the home made tin sheds. just wonderful.

What old Pattaya? It was a fishing village little more than 50 years ago. Juxtaposition. That's a big word; it's bigger than marmalade.

It's all relative - were you expecting something from the Dutch quarter in Jakarta ? Perhaps some 30,000 year old rock art from northern Australia ?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

your very witty reply, not the comment about Pattaya but the word comparison had me falling around the isles.

If you think that was the height of humour .... I think more medication is needed.

w00t.gif

Thanks for your "like" , later "unliked" of my tuppence halfpennies opinion , Fullstop.

it's strange what turns people on isn't it and I agree that champers post may well in the eyes of a more intellectual Bod maybe like yourself ,appear to be not much to write home about in the great scheme of comedic remarks

But owd pal it unashamedly tickled me pink, maybe it was in its simplicity an extremely witty remark that only a Lancashire lad like me so used to understatement and irony would appreciate. Haha!

• Like 1

Ah.....now I'm with you . Marmalade 'Reflections of my life' First 2 words are ' The changing ..........' So the juxtaposition is............sorry champers, lost my thread.

• Like 1

Actually when I look at Jomtien I see alot more of the old Pattaya ,(early 00's from my perspective) than looking at the new Pattaya.

"Actually when I look at Jomtien I see alot more of the old Pattaya" ,

Ahh...when I read this it brought back fond memories of home.....we say things like that too....well known for it in fact. 555

"Actually when I look at Jomtien I see alot more of the old Pattaya" ,

Ahh...when I read this it brought back fond memories of home.....we say things like that too....well known for it in fact. 555

So what else is new dotpoom ? Besides, what does this have to do with my post comparing Jomtien now w/Pattaya then. And that should have been " taking up their walking workouts there. (Jomtien Beach Walk)

Its really the only thing Jomtien is missing together with a supermarket.

alt=w00t.gif>

I could not agree more. Suggest you keep taking your pills.

Us Lancastrians have got to stick together n210mp. My post was tongue-in-cheek, in the spirit of the OP. I was actually expecting herds of wildebeest or the hanging gardens of Babylon, Mr Worldwide.

Give Devil's Den a call - they'll show you a few sights you probably haven't seen in your travels. Sadly, my requests to take photos down there have been ignored - I guess I'll just have to be patient.

• Like 1

The true Lancastrian fishmongers, ironmongers and costermongers among us most fear the demise of the classically crafted Beach Road sois such as 6, 7, 8, Yamato and Post office, I'm sure.

Those sois run so very thrillingly down to the romance of the ocean and so much more. LK Metro - for all its merits - just can't do the same.

When those sois go I'll be VERY sad indeed.

I haven't been to Pattaya since 2007, when I went on a second to last last fling before getting married back in Phuket. Actually the last fling wasn't one at all - on Bangla Road, and I decided to barfine the girl, pay her, had second thoughts a while later and let her go. She got a 1000 Baht for doing nothing. Now there was a happy camper! (both of us).

Try that one sometime.

One time I had to leave Rich Man Poor man Hotel in Jomtien in the middle of the night, as I was attacked by a kathoey with a knife, complete with an unrealistic full sex-change.

It was the former that concerned me the most.

My mental illness thyroid is acting up, so that's all for now.

Best

The true Lancastrian fishmongers, ironmongers and costermongers among us most fear the demise of the classically crafted Beach Road sois such as 6, 7, 8, Yamato and Post office, I'm sure.

Those sois run so very thrillingly down to the romance of the ocean and so much more. LK Metro - for all its merits - just can't do the same.

When those sois go I'll be VERY sad indeed.

They'll go. The downturn began with that monstrosity of Central. They should demolish it and bring back beer bars by the sea.

The aisles of Silly ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly

Had a fascination with that place since I saw it on a gardening program - of all things - many years ago. The idea of being able to grow plants from the subtropics outdoors anywhere in the UK just tickled me in strange places. The plant life reminds me of New Zealand - green and attractive if not the same as the tropical species we take for granted here in central Thailand.

• Like 1

The aisles of Silly ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly

Had a fascination with that place since I saw it on a gardening program - of all things - many years ago. The idea of being able to grow plants from the subtropics outdoors anywhere in the UK just tickled me in strange places. The plant life reminds me of New Zealand - green and attractive if not the same as the tropical species we take for granted here in central Thailand.

now THAT has made me giggle ................ delightful !

I've been through one of these transformation in another place, Gold Coast, Australia. I even rented a beach side apartment (1987) which is now part of the property of one of the tallest buildings in the Southern Hemisphere - Q1. I stayed in another old apartment for 14 years surrounded by new highrises as I watched all the old places slowly being replaced year after year.

I don't like these changes. It's like ripping your past from under you. I would prefer to live in a place which doesn't change too much.

I've been through one of these transformation in another place, Gold Coast, Australia. I even rented a beach side apartment (1987) which is now part of the property of one of the tallest buildings in the Southern Hemisphere - Q1. I stayed in another old apartment for 14 years surrounded by new highrises as I watched all the old places slowly being replaced year after year.

I don't like these changes. It's like ripping your past from under you. I would prefer to live in a place which doesn't change too much.

Move to Toowoomba - you'll get everything you're looking for and then some.

Move to Toowoomba - you'll get everything you're looking for and then some.

LOL. I said I would prefer to live in a place which doesn't change too much, but I'm not going to move to Toowoomba because it's too far from the beach (I know that town quite well actually).

Freezing in Winter, boiling hot in Summer, locals with the IQ of a cabbage patch doll - what more could you ask for ? Not many inland cities in Australia, and when you've been to Toowoomba / Albury / Rockhampton, you quickly realise why that is the case.

(lived in Oakey 30km west of Toowoomba for 3 years, Rocky for 4 1/2 years, FWIW - only about 6 months outside Albury but that was plenty)

Oddly enough, in many ways they are - better drivers but the worst of them make me rethink that assessment. And Qld cops - long the subject of corruption allegations - are so much better at their jobs than the BiB that it's not even a remotely fair comparison, even if a lot of what they do on the roads is blatant revenue raising.