DTAC SIM card registration failed?

AbeSurd

I went along to the DTAC counter in Big C Extra here in Pattaya about a month ago to register my DTAC pre-paid SIM. I took my phone and my Thai driving licence and the whole thing took two minutes.

But just now I called *1002 and pressed 9 for English to check. The DTAC automated service correctly reported back to me my mobile number and then said it wasn't registered.

I'll go back to the DTAC counter tomorrow and try and find out what's happened.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.

Oops, wrong forum. Mods - please move. Thanks.

Edited by AbeSurd

No experience, but before walking to DTAC you should doublecheck and use this:

*151# <send>

Its the unique number for all operators defined by the regulator (NBTC).

For me it gives a clear message in English (the truth):

You haven't registered your prepaid SIM ....

If its the same for you: walk.

The site is in Thai only, but as said I get a response in English (depends on previous settings for the phone/SIM I guess).

http://sim.nbtc.go.th/howtocheck.php

Edited by KhunBENQ

No experience, but before walking to DTAC you should doublecheck and use this:

*151# <send>

Its the unique number for all operators defined by the regulator (NBTC).

For me it gives a clear message in English (the truth):

You haven't registered your prepaid SIM ....

If its the same for you: walk.

The site is in Thai only, but as said I get a response in English (depends on previous settings for the phone/SIM I guess).

Thanks.

I think you (or someone else?) posted this info before? Anyway I tried that number yesterday and got a short text message back in Thai. My Thai wasn't good enough to understand it so I showed the message to a Thai acquaintance whose English is a bit better than my Thai. I understood her to say that it said something about 'tabien' and probably that I needed to register. All a bit confusing which is why I looked up the DTAC registration check number - and at least their service is in English.

It's back to the DTAC counter for me tomorrow.

Google translate version works well for a change.

I just checked mine via DTAC number and nbtc and both indicated not registered. I know I registered mine years ago during the Thaksin era when it was first required. Had to fill out a form and show my passport so don't know where that disappeared to.

Little more than 3 months to go and probably millions of numbers to be registred.

Again and again seeing problem reports (registration of the past lost, registration did not work...).

I am looking forward to read more reports about registration done/fail.

Anyone wants to bet that the whole thing will end in a big mess, being postponed etc.? whistling.gif

Went into the AIS shop in Chiang Mai with my passport and it took tern minutes of photocopying and typing. The lady said it would take an hour or so to get the registration confirmation, and it took about 45 minutes.

All very easy.

Little more than 3 months to go and probably millions of numbers to be registred.

Again and again seeing problem reports (registration of the past lost, registration did not work...).

I am looking forward to read more reports about registration done/fail.

Anyone wants to bet that the whole thing will end in a big mess, being postponed etc.? whistling.gif

Maybe millions to be registered, but there are thousands of outlets, so there is not much of an excuse (There are 8,000 7/11s for a start).

I would expect to see a bit of a media campaign as the deadline approaches though.

So I went back to the DTAC counter in Big C Extra here in Pattaya this morning. I handed them my phone, they checked and told me the registration wasn't complete. So again I handed them my Thai driving licence and again the whole thing took two minutes.

Now to my relief when I call *151# I get a different message on my phone screen in Thai. My Thai acquaintance tells me it says that my SIM is now registered.

And when I call *1002 (and press 9 for English) to doublecheck, the DTAC automated service also now tells me it's "registered already".

Guess from now on until the deadline for registration I'm just going to periodically check that *151# and *1002 are still telling me it's registered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I dial in *151*9# and send, it replied back with this:

"Register code <removed>. The register status of 08XXXXXXXX is incomplete (PrePaid Happy)"

I have removed the register code and some digits of my phone number for this post.

Am I supposed to confirm the registration with this code somehow?

I see a member posted above they took their phone to a DTAC shop and it was registered in 2 minutes.

Does this registration code have to be sent from my phone to somewhere?

I Registered my DTAC pre-paid sim card in February, I have a confirmation text that says "0XXXXXXXX1 has already been registered by card no. XXXXXXXXX". Out of interest I dialed the *151*9# number today and got this message "Register code XXXXXX The register status of 0XXXXXXXX1 is incomplete (prePaid Happy). So it looks like another trip to the DTAC office to make sure I really am registered.

I Registered my DTAC pre-paid sim card in February, I have a confirmation text that says "0XXXXXXXX1 has already been registered by card no. XXXXXXXXX". Out of interest I dialed the *151*9# number today and got this message "Register code XXXXXX The register status of 0XXXXXXXX1 is incomplete (prePaid Happy). So it looks like another trip to the DTAC office to make sure I really am registered.

Would you mind reporting back the result of your visit to the shop?

I get the same message.

I get the same message.

Same here. I registered mine at a Dtac shop in April.

I get the same message.

Went to DTAC and explained the situation to the young lady, she logged into her computer and brought up my details, she pointed out that my name appeared in green text, she said that meant it was registered. I did the *151# (in Thai) and showed her. She then used a smart phone that was on the desk to connect to DTAC, I did not see exactly what she did but after a few seconds a large, green 'tick' appeared on the screen. She then did the *151*9# (English), on my phone and this message came up "This number 08XXXXXXX1 is registered with ID ending XXX6 (PrePaid Happy)". So now it appears I really am registered.

Edited by PREM-R

I get the same message.

Went to DTAC and explained the situation to the young lady, she logged into her computer and brought up my details, she pointed out that my name appeared in green text, she said that meant it was registered. I did the *151# (in Thai) and showed her. She then used a smart phone that was on the desk to connect to DTAC, I did not see exactly what she did but after a few seconds a large, green 'tick' appeared on the screen. She then did the *151*9# (English), on my phone and this message came up "This number 08XXXXXXX1 is registered with ID ending XXX6 (PrePaid Happy)". So now it appears I really am registered.

Thanks for your report.

If another member has any information about this procedure, could you please post?

Is it possible I can do what the girl in the shop has done? Do I simply SMS the registration code somewhere?

I am away from Thailand at the moment, and not sure I can be back before the dealine, and would like to keep my DTAC sim cards / numbers, especially since one is linked to my Thai Bank for the OTP for bill payments.

I have rang the call centre, but there is some language barrier.

Edited by KhunHeineken

Is it possible I can do what the girl in the shop has done? Do I simply SMS the registration code somewhere?

IME, no, one is required to go in person with the SIM and a document (Thai ID card, passport), although you can send a messenger.

I just did two more registrations yesterday: AIS and TrueMove H, in Siam Paragon. Took less than 3 minutes each.

Assuming both you and the SIM are outside of Thailand I would just pop round a DTAC shop when you return, even if it is after the "deadline". I am reasonably confident that either the deadline will be extended, tens of millions have not yet registered, or at worst service might be disabled until you register.

You could send an email to [email protected], referencing your number, and maybe the IMSI details on the SIM itself and ask for their advice/guidance.

IME, no, one is required to go in person with the SIM and a document (Thai ID card, passport), although you can send a messenger.

I just did two more registrations yesterday: AIS and TrueMove H, in Siam Paragon. Took less than 3 minutes each.

Assuming both you and the SIM are outside of Thailand I would just pop round a DTAC shop when you return, even if it is after the "deadline". I am reasonably confident that either the deadline will be extended, tens of millions have not yet registered, or at worst service might be disabled until you register.

You could send an email to [email protected], referencing your number, and maybe the IMSI details on the SIM itself and ask for their advice/guidance.

I have been to two different DTAC shops with my passport and sim cards.

At the second shop, the lady looked at the computer and said my sim cards are registered. I tested her on it, and she read back my phone number to me, so she wasn't trying to just get me out the door. I'm definately on their computer system.

There must be one last simple step to registration that many staff are not aware of.

I was hoping it was sending this "register code" somewhere, maybe to acknowledge the registration.

Edited by KhunHeineken

• 2 weeks later...

"Register code <removed>. The register status of 08XXXXXXXX is incomplete (PrePaid Happy)"

I have removed the register code and some digits of my phone number for this post.

I see a member posted above they took their phone to a DTAC shop and it was registered in 2 minutes.

Had the same message, so I went to my local 7/11 and showed it to them. They used the code to complete the registration after capturing my DL. They told me it meant I didn't use my passport to do it initially. I showed them my passport number, so .... All's good now.

Had the same message, so I went to my local 7/11 and showed it to them. They used the code to complete the registration after capturing my DL. They told me it meant I didn't use my passport to do it initially. I showed them my passport number, so .... All's good now.

It makes you wonder how many people in Thailand are walking around under the false belief their sim card is registered, because they went into a telco shop with their ID Card / Passport, doing the right thing, but if they were to check with *151*9# it will say unregistered, like mine did, after two visits to large DTAC shops with passport, phone and sim cards.

They have done what was required of them, but for whatever reason, like myself, remain unregistered.