Prayuth Disciplines Soldier for Arguing With Traffic Cops

Lite Beer

What is a PM getting involved in something like this for or doesn't he trust military discipline ?

Because he is finished with the lottery issue and found himself with some spare time

Good morning wife, i'm at a bit of a loose end today so any ideas on what irrelevancy i should interest myself in and prove I'm in Absolute Control ?

Cue Dr. Evil laugh.

• Like 1

"...Prayuth felt "uncomfortable" after viewing the video, and instructed the Royal Thai Army to take disciplinary action against the soldier..."

He only has himself to blame, because of the sense of entitlement the government is sending out to its troops. I'm sure there are many soldiers that think they are the ultimate law and police are beneath them and therefore can't touch them.

It strikes me that PM Prayuth is no longer head of the army. Sooner or later the army will wonder who should be giving them orders.

General Prayut is still Chief of the NCPO (aka the Junta) that has absolute power over all of Thai government and people, including the military. In fact now that he has invoked Article 44, the Royal Thai Police fall under military jurisdiction. The soldier was perfectly correct to ignore the police stop.

I certainly hope that this is "...tongue in cheek"!

"...Prayuth felt "uncomfortable" after viewing the video, and instructed the Royal Thai Army to take disciplinary action against the soldier..."

He only has himself to blame, because of the sense of entitlement the government is sending out to its troops. I'm sure there are many soldiers that think they are the ultimate law and police are beneath them and therefore can't touch them.

If your assessment of the military's "sense of entitlement" is correct, then you will be the first to see that the General was absolutely doing the right thing in removing that false impression from the minds of the troops!

• Like 1

General says to the Colonel - the soldier should be disciplined

Colonel says to the Major - punish the soldier

Major says to the Captain - be hard on him

Captain says to the Lieutenant - show him no mercy

Lieutenant says to the soldier - sorry its the firing squad for you today

If the army rules that the soldier confronted the police officers because of his mental disorder, the soldier will receive medical treatment, Col. Winthai said.

He added that the army will attempt to determine the "true intention" of the person who uploaded the video onto the internet.

You wasn't far off

I saw the video. He seemed surprised the police had pulled him over, they were polite and told him he should be wearing a helmet, he basically told them to go about their business as if they had no authority over him and if he didn't want to wear a helmet on it was up to him. He then calmly turned his motorbike around and rode away.

It looks like the policeman who allegedly filmed this may be in trouble soon for making it public.

It is perfectly understandable that the PM might suggest to the military that they should look into this incident.

The error here is that the PM felt the need to crow this to the press.

I don't think it is an error. I would go so far as to say, he had to intervene.

The General has set himself as the all knowing, all seeing, all powerful man in charge. The incident is bad PR for the military which is constructing the image that they are the saviours of Thailand. Intervening sends a strong statement that the General cares etc. In the past we have seen military personnel engage in ghastly events. Remember the army officer who ran down the little woman physician in the hospital parking lot and escaped justice? If he had not intervened, the public would say, ahh, typical army.

• Like 1

The bottom line is that this is a token gesture, a PR-type knee jerk reaction because it was filmed. Anyone praising the general for this needs to reflect for a moment. The military has a well known record for protecting its own and there are countless examples of it defying the law to do so (see post #42). If the general was so concerned about ensuring military types face justice for their misdeeds, then he doesn't have to look very far for examples. Let's just presume he is still army chief and a civilian is PM. Think he would react the same? Actually, he probably would, but it would be no more than a token gesture, just like now - a ploy to distract from the real problems of the military in respect of the law. This is a snow job, nothing more, and has no credibility while genuine offenders enjoy the protection of the barracks.

Edit: geriatrickid - wrong about the helmet laws, matey. In 1988, Chatchai, then PM, was pixed on a chopper with no helmet and got pilloried in the letters columns.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

Don't see what the big deal is, the police often do not wear helmets while riding around on there

scooters. Just a suggestion for them, not the law. Poor guy thought the same rules applied

to the military as well. whistling.gif

Finally we get there: no matter what color - one helmet(law) fits all.

helmet-law300_zpsgqbderky.png

Do as I say NOT as I do whistling.gif

Applies all over the world, not just in Thailand coffee1.gif

Big difference: There was no helmet law during the Thaksin era.

Another big difference: Prayuth wasn't riding on a public road, he was riding in the Government House compound.

When does a PM of a country get to tell the police what to do? This guy still thinks he is a general

I guess it's the PM's habit here. Thaksin managed it for all his years in power, out of power and even through his clone puppet.

You almost get the feeling that as well as being riddled with corruption, the police are like a badly treated kicked often dog. Scared of anyone perceived important but happy to bite those down the food chain.

BTW he was an army General not police General, Thaksin, despite being a convicted criminal fugitive wanted in 15 court cases, still holds the rank of police Lt. Col.

What a shit heap.

Edited by Baerboxer

Another case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'

Pathetic really.

Let me explain to you:

in any civilized country, the incident would have been handled more or less like this: guy on a motocy, without helmet (no matter if a soldier or a butcher or a housewife)....stopped by the police...punishment/fine handed out...driver complaining and/or being rude to the policeman....fine/punishment handed out...end of story!

No PM would EVER be involved in this!

This is why NO ONE would EVER ask Mr.P to get involved, so NO DAMNED IF YOU DON'T!

But if someone thinks he needs to be involved in anyone, breaking wind (mini skirts on TV, bikinis on beaches, soldiers arguing with traffic cop) or anything...that's when he get's criticized, because what the ....the guy is PM.

If he has nothing better to do, surely happiness must have returned to Thailand!

Also: maybe choppering around the Government House without a helmet, didn't set such a good example after all, huh?!

In any civilized country the bike rider would have been ordered off the bike and his details taken. He would then have about a week to produce at the local cop shop.

Possibility of a court appearance and a nice heafty fine.

In Thailand you pay a fine and carry on riding your bike with is illegal without a helmet, and the cops will be happy to wave you on for the same reason he stopped you.

The PM took the correct action in that he sent a clear message to the Thai military, police, people and the international community that powers sought under Article 44 would be used in limited circumstances and not used to over ride the laws or rights of people unless it was for security situations or involved serious crimes.

Empowering military above certain ranks to ignore the police or override their authority was only to be used in situations where the police were failing to do their job. The message to the police in this case was that he, as PM would support them when they were in the right. BTW good work by who ever took the video and posted it thumbsup.gif

I wonder how long it took the PM to clam down from the initial dummy spit - it would have been a beauty biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the lecture, any attempt to propose to Costa's daughter yet? Even if this appears a little boring to you, these comments " it happens elsewhere too" are not relevant in any case.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

Maybe there was no helmet law under Thaksin. However, I was fined 1.500 Thb for it during his reign by the police on Phuket's Rat u Thit Road in Patong

Edited by Lupatria

Well that information is incorrect.. There has indeed been a helmet law in Thailand since 1994 it was subsequently updated in 2007 to include passengers.

http://m.injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/18/Suppl_1/A193.1

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Gen. Prayuth felt "uncomfortable" after viewing the video, and instructed the Royal Thai Army to take disciplinary action against the soldier.

This is the raw power of Article 44 in action - no discussion, no investigation, no defense.

Sickening.

Gen. Prayuth felt "uncomfortable" after viewing the video, and instructed the Royal Thai Army to take disciplinary action against the soldier.

This is the raw power of Article 44 in action - no discussion, no investigation, no defense.

Sickening.

I agree, it is disgraceful that anyone in Thailand should act on evidence cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1