New Rules.............again?

My labor office told me today that they will now inform immigration that they have issued me a work permit. I am on a non-O extension and so will most likely at next renewal, have to produce additional documents (degree, transcript, letter from Uni, lesson plans etc)

Any one ran up against this new "rule" ? rolleyes.gif

Yep, found out the hard way last July. When I switched jobs, the labour office informed immigration immediately. Never was informed until I went for my 90 day (luckily only 10 days overstay), paid the 5k and left bruised. Good of them to tell you!!

All automated now. sad.png

I'll have to extend my visa and work permit by the end of the month and will see if there're any changes.

But being on a Non-B seems to be the same procedure, except applying for visa first, then extending the work permit.

Just found out that the director won't be available on Friday to get the documents sorted out and will have to meet them this Sunday.

i can only hope that our coordinator will have the documents ready. Visa and wp expire on the 30th this month.

The hub of surprises....

My labor office told me today that they will now inform immigration that they have issued me a work permit. I am on a non-O extension and so will most likely at next renewal, have to produce additional documents (degree, transcript, letter from Uni, lesson plans etc)

Interesting. Our provincial Labour Office is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, what's the problem? If you have an extension based on marriage to a Thai national you have 400,000 Baht in a bank account or have employment for 40,000 Baht a month.

Anyway, what's the problem? If you have an extension based on marriage to a Thai national you have 400,000 Baht in a bank account or have employment for 40,000 Baht a month.

Yes, I understand that but another teacher when applying for his extension was asked if he was going to teach again this year. He told them that his application for extension was for marriage and not for work. They told him to bring back his degree cert and transcript or they would not issue the extension.

His application was for marriage but they still insisted he bring the other documents. Not related in any way to his application but they made it related.

Yep, found out the hard way last July. When I switched jobs, the labour office informed immigration immediately. Never was informed until I went for my 90 day (luckily only 10 days overstay), paid the 5k and left bruised. Good of them to tell you!!

Were you on a B or an O? Thanks.

Yes, I understand that but another teacher when applying for his extension was asked if he was going to teach again this year. He told them that his application for extension was for marriage and not for work. They told him to bring back his degree cert and transcript or they would not issue the extension.

His application was for marriage but they still insisted he bring the other documents. Not related in any way to his application but they made it related.

The truth about all Immigration offices is that they can issue a visa, or not. So basically your friend is a teacher, the Immigration officer wants to see some related documents.

There're too many changes within a short period of time, but what's the problem when the DoL wants to see the same documents?

Some copies and here you are will do the trick. Some unsatisfied officers sometimes try to show their power.

I wouldn't even waste time thinking about it, get the copies and visit them.

Thanks for the clarification. I think Immigration is trying to close the loophole of evading the provisional teaching permit/ teacher license requirements set by The Teachers' Council of Thailand. Anyways, check that you have the correct extension of stay. i.e. 2.18 instead of 2.6/ 2.7.

Thanks for the clarification. I think Immigration is trying to close the loophole of evading the provisional teaching permit/ teacher license requirements set by The Teachers' Council of Thailand. Anyways, check that you have the correct extension of stay. i.e. 2.18 instead of 2.

I have 2.18 written at the bottom of my extension stamp. This allows me to work. What are the other 2.16 & 7 for please. Thanks.

Edited by thequietman

If the extension based on marriage is using the 40K per month route, they may be interested in the source of income. Hence they ask about the WP/teaching documents. If it's 400K in the bank...well, that is bizarre! You don't even need to be working if you got the cash in the bank.

Were you on a B or an O? Thanks.

Non O.

Interesting, I assume that this is to catch the people who are on O visas and working without a teacher's licence or who aren't paying tax.

As the Department of Labour is often slack when it comes to checking documents (At least in my province anyway), but immigration is very vigilant when it comes to checking documents, and when I was on a B, immigration needed to see my tax return + teacher's licence from krusapa before they'd extend my visa.

Comparatively, there were others teachers I knew, who could obtain a WP from the DoL without a teacher's licence (They didn't have degrees), and so long as they were on a marriage extension or multiple O, they didn't need to show anything to Krusapa (The ones who tried to get their Bs extended at krusapa, got denied by immigration, despite having current WPs).

I'd imagine however, that this new system/rule which the OP has described, likely doesn't apply to all provinces, just the ones where immigration is very vigilant and DoL is very relaxed (Since from what I've heard, a lot of immigration offices are happy to just accept a WP, as they actually trust the DoL to do their job lol).

Interesting, I assume that this is to catch the people who are on O visas and working without a teacher's licence or who aren't paying tax.

As the Department of Labour is often slack when it comes to checking documents (At least in my province anyway), but immigration is very vigilant when it comes to checking documents, and when I was on a B, immigration needed to see my tax return + teacher's licence from krusapa before they'd extend my visa.

Comparatively, there were others teachers I knew, who could obtain a WP from the DoL without a teacher's licence (They didn't have degrees), and so long as they were on a marriage extension or multiple O, they didn't need to show anything to Krusapa (The ones who tried to get their Bs extended at krusapa, got denied by immigration, despite having current WPs).

I'd imagine however, that this new system/rule which the OP has described, likely doesn't apply to all provinces, just the ones where immigration is very vigilant and DoL is very relaxed (Since from what I've heard, a lot of immigration offices are happy to just accept a WP, as they actually trust the DoL to do their job lol).

Wasn't the last change that you'll have to apply for a visa first, then extending the blue book?

I don't think that this is only happening in Sisaket province. in my eyes the most relaxed Immigration in this country. But for how long will that last??? A new boss and it could turn out to be the hell on earth. ( Will never forget the Phiboon dragon)....

I did talk to a real friendly Immigration officer only a few weeks ago and she confirmed these changes. Before, they always relied on the Department of Labor and issued visas, of course trusting the DoL's homework. Using her own words, they just "followed the DoL."

I'll have to extend both in a few days, once I've got my new contract and other documents in hands. Always postponed since two weeks.

The different riues could make it possible that a cranky Immigration officer, ( and we know there're quite a few) might not be okay to issue a one year visa for trainers, teacher's assistants and other similar occupations, which bypass Khurusapha.

And you seem to be right about those who didn't pay tax,education visa holders who work full-time as teachers, etc...we'll see.

As far as I remember will you be back after a one year break. right? Hope you'll really enjoy it. Lol. w00t.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Yep I'm starting back on the 1st, so will be applying for my waiver etc soon once I get my new contract (Am a little concerned they might try to modify the terms at the last minute, but will see what happens).

So I'll be visiting the DoL myself soon too.

And when I was previously on a B extension, I'd always extend my WP first (And the DoL would put a note in the back that I needed to fax them a copy of my extended visa).

Yep I'm starting back on the 1st, so will be applying for my waiver etc soon once I get my new contract (Am a little concerned they might try to modify the terms at the last minute, but will see what happens).

And when I was previously on a B extension, I'd always extend my WP first (And the DoL would put a note in the back that I needed to fax them a copy of my extended visa).

No provisional teaching licence..................... then no WP. That seems to be the new rule now. Also was told in no uncertain circumstances.............DO NOT start teaching without the WP.

• Like 1

You're also somewhere in lower northeast, right? Sly, they've changed the rules. First visa, then work permit.Assuming you're on a Non-O, it could happen that they'll send you to Immigration to show your credentials...., You better knock on wood!

I'll get my new contract on Sunday, no idea about any changes, pay raise, unfortunately no SS, which I'm already aware of.

Then I'll have to take my wife and a government employee, ( luckily a friend from the hood) as a sort of witness/guarantor, which makes no sense at all, when thinking about the whole thing and listen to their ideas what they've planned to do to me and drive all the way to school.

My dear friend had to sign three documents for me the last year and i thought it was only once. Nope, gotta do that every year.

No idea about contact hours, i can only assume that I'll "only" have to teach both "special program classes", which is a lot of work. P.1 & P.2. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Miss Miscoordinator told me today that the edu office would finalize my urgently needed letter by tomorrow.

On Monday and Tuesday I'll have to conduct a seminar for Thai teachers, first day with the help of our coordinator, of course all day long, while my visa and work permit will expire on the 30th.

Let's talk about the results in a few days. Best of luck, you better buy some nice stuff for all of them a few envelopes under the table, you know the whole package,,,,,,

If some components don't fit, or they offer me a one term contract, there won't be a new contract for me to sign.

I'm in no way licking their, you know what.

We'll make a huge merit this weekend and buy the head monk a new car, that should be enough spiritual help, right? wai2.gif

Yeah I live south of Roiet. And I don't do envelopes under the table, so will have to ensure all of my t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

Haha last month I was 1 day late to report in, I think it was a 2000 THB a fine. The kind folks at Amnat Charoen immigration offered me a 500 THB discount if I didn't receive a receipt. I told them I definitely wanted a receipt, then had the pleasure of watching him shuffle around paper for 20mins while he looked for an old receipt to copy from (I think he's probably never done it before, as everyone just accepts the bribe lol).

I hope there's not too much dicking around involved for my WP, and in particular hope no trips to immigration are necessary, as its a 2h drive each way (And there's not even really anything to do once you get there either, just lunch at Big C then back home, which is what we've done today. I'm really happy that I can now do online 90 day reports though).

Yeah I live south of Roiet. And I don't do envelopes under the table, so will have to ensure all of my t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

Haha last month I was 1 day late to report in, I think it was a 2000 THB a fine. The kind folks at Amnat Charoen immigration offered me a 500 THB discount if I didn't receive a receipt. I told them I definitely wanted a receipt, then had the pleasure of watching him shuffle around paper for 20mins while he looked for an old receipt to copy from (I think he's probably never done it before, as everyone just accepts the bribe lol).

I hope there's not too much dicking around involved for my WP, and in particular hope no trips to immigration are necessary, as its a 2h drive each way (And there's not even really anything to do once you get there either, just lunch at Big C then back home, which is what we've done today. I'm really happy that I can now do online 90 day reports though).

Best of luck. I'm just wondering why you can't do your 90 days at the local 7/11? We in Sisaket seem to be really privileged, takes only 10 minutes and I've got my new slip.

Okay, I do understand that fox and eagle still say good night in your area and it might take a few more years for you to do your report, when you buy your cans of Archa.

3x 7/11s in my town, so it's not as far out in the sticks as I sometimes imply :)

But I think I'd have a lot more success doing my reports online rather than at 7/11 lol

Anywho, back on topic :) I'll hopefully applying for my WP next month, which should help get me back upto date with any new processes etc

I'll have to extend my visa and work permit by the end of the month and will see if there're any changes.

But being on a Non-B seems to be the same procedure, except applying for visa first, then extending the work permit.

Just found out that the director won't be available on Friday to get the documents sorted out and will have to meet them this Sunday.

i can only hope that our coordinator will have the documents ready. Visa and wp expire on the 30th this month.

The hub of surprises....

You know there is a 5 day holiday the first week of May, somethings open and some closed. Good Luck!

Online Ba degree........................ check.

Thai ethics and culture course......................... check.

Over one year experience teaching (6 years total)............................. check.

Currently pursuing bachelor of Education, 2 years left............................. check

Paid up tax on salary............................ check

Application for provisional teaching licence sent................... check.

Its the inconvenience of it all that is the issue for me.................... NOT the documents.

Enjoy your retirement Richard.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention that I have been accepted for a MBA, once again from an accredited university online. I start next month. I want to be qualified for jobs outside Thailand like SA, Singapore, Qatar etc

I am constantly trying to improve myself. So tell me what have you been doing academically for the past 4 years?

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves." wai.gif

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Online Ba degree........................ check.

Thai ethics and culture course......................... check.

Over one year experience teaching (6 years total)............................. check.

Currently pursuing bachelor of Education, 2 years left............................. check

Paid up tax on salary............................ check

Application for provisional teaching licence sent................... check.

Its the inconvenience of it all that is the issue for me.................... NOT the documents.

Enjoy your retirement Richard.

Well I see you have everything that they require, so whats the problem??? Just jump through their hoops provide the relevant documents and your all good for another year.

• Like 1

One thing I can assure everyone here there are mor changes coming and probably sooner rather than later.

With TCT being completely revamped director wise I am sure that the new crew will make the changes that the boss wants in a hurry.

The 1st is a national holiday?