Pattaya Water Festival generates Bt 200 million

Thaivisa News

Pattaya: – Yesterday saw the revellers surging to about 100,000 to take part in the Water Festival 2015 along the three-kilometer beach road stretching from North to Central to South Pattaya City.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has estimated that revellers spent 200 million baht for the one-day festival.

By traditions, Pattaya would celebrate Songkran, known locally as Wan Lai, on the weekend following April 13.

Vendors reported brisk business as revellers splashed water at one another along the beach road from morning to late night.

TOT officials said this year’s activities were more colourful and festive than the previous year.

Temperature soared to almost 40 degree Celsius, prompting revellers to drench one another.

In Phra Pradaeng district, Samut Prakan, the local administration organised the water-splashing festivities, attracting thousands of revellers.

Phra Pradaeng community is the settlement of Thai descendents of Mon ancestors migrated from Myanmar.

Mon New Year celebrations are scheduled one week after Songkran.

Thai and foreign visitors took part in the community-organised water splashing.

Main roads, such as Suk Sawat, Khuen Khan and Pu Chao Saming Phrai were closed to traffic for a day.

Some 600 policemen were deployed to keep peace and order.

In Sa Kaeo, thousands flocked to spend the final weekend of Songkran to get soaked on a particularly hot Sunday’s afternoon.

Many violated the Songkran ban on the use of powder. They also used buckets to throw iced water.

No harmful incident was reported. And the authorities looked on the violations due to the overwhelming large numbers of alleged offenders.

Road snarls were reported for inbound traffic from the North and the Northeast to Bangkok as yesterday was the final weekend for Songkran holiday.

TAT at its exaggerating best. Within hours of the festival ending they can quote an estimated revenue.

Not only that NKK, it is a nice,neat and simple B200,000,000.

Most impressive. Their analysts must have worked OT on the weekend to arrive at such a good number.

• Like 1

TAT at its exaggerating best. Within hours of the festival ending they can quote an estimated revenue.

It doesn't take long to estimate that 100,000 people spending, say, on average, 2,000 baht will generate 200m baht. Can be done in 30 seconds easily.

That's a lot of money. Were is it heading to? To those that are in need? To those that live in poverty?To help social needs?Your guess is as good as mine?!. Personally, I hate having my face covered in powder and what could be, water infected with bacteria, thrown all over me. Call me old fashioned. Yet another method for those to get richer at the cost of others. Thought water, at this time of the year, was very valuable? But then again, what do I know????

I don't know where they get the numbers from . They could start by asking shop owners how much they sold over the weekend. But that would be too much work for the busy officials. So lets just guess a number.

It doesn't take long to estimate that 100,000 people spending, say, on average, 2,000 baht will generate 200m baht. Can be done in 30 seconds easily.

Get a job with TAT, picking figures out of the air seems to come easy.