Two taxi drivers banned for life from Suvarnabhumi

Thaivisa News

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two.

Excuses, excuses. These people have had enough warnings. And they are only banned from Swampy, not driving a taxi so what is the problem.

Well there may be a problem enforcing the airport ban.

The last time I used a taxi from Swampy to Bangkok, the guy hit us for a flat rate of 700 baht and then tipped himself 100 baht at the destination. Ordinarily I would have stomped my feet and raised a ruckus but we had had a rough flight and at that point I was going to quibble over the equivalent of 6 or 7 $. It's really a shame that tourists have to go through this kind of nonsense right out of the gate after arriving here.

Nowadays, we simply get a driver direct from our house down south to the airport and back. Flat fee, quick, easy transport of us and our stuff, we get there at a decent hour, and no having to deal with the cost of a night in Bangkok or the taxi mafia there. I tip generously; the wais I receive are quite deep. smile.png

Just get out and hail another cab. I've had this happen to me in many different countries in Asia. If you either get out or just keep shaking your hear and saying 'meter' you will get your way.

I would rather see the government bans taxi for insane driving behavior has we often see.

Sucking the front car's number plate at 140km/h for example... It happened to me so many times, some of my customers had an accident because their taxi was driving like this. After few years, they are still shocked and refuse to take taxi unless there is absolutely no other choice.

I travelled in and out of Thailand, mostly swampy airport, over 30 times last year and I have only once had a driver not turn on the meter. When I asked him to turn on the meter, he said that all taxi's were a set fare from the airport. Once I told him I live here and am not a tourist, Oh sorry sir....my response...sorry you were caught is about all you are sorry for. Most though, switch on the meter as soon as the journey starts.

I recently refused to pay a taxi driver THB1600 from the airport to Pattaya (100 more than it was under the old system).

The grumpy driver then put the meter on and it was exactly THB1300 to the point where highway 7 meets Sukhumvit. Add on THB 100 for tolls still made the meter cheaper by THB200.

A bit unfair on the drivers as in theory they can not pick up a fare back to Bangkok whereas if they take someone into the city they can pick up passengers right away.

I don't make the rules and would have been OK paying the old price of THB 1500 if the driver hadn't tried to rip me off.

Aki called on the airport and the government to eliminate taxi drivers with unfair practice because it would affect the reputation of Thailand.

Ah, yes, the shame culture of the east, versus the guilt culture of the west.

Wow. Japan is part of the West ? That's one geography lesson I must have missed.

Screw it in tighter Boris. I think he knows that - As I understood from the post Aki was shaming them.

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two.

Ban for life from Suvarnabhumi is not excessive, they know the rules and have been warned before. These folks needs to learn their lesson and examples made out of them for them to change. I applaud officials for taking swift action. Shame and blame in the media is the only way to get Thais to get their act together.

Aki called on the airport and the government to eliminate taxi drivers with unfair practice because it would affect the reputation of Thailand.

Ah, yes, the shame culture of the east, versus the guilt culture of the west.

Wow. Japan is part of the West ? That's one geography lesson I must have missed.
culture is the object of his statement...do you not read? in asia japan is western in culture. :-)

"Aki posted that 11 friends of him arrived at the airport at 6 pm on April 14. He said they used taxis from the airport taxi kiosk. The two taxi drivers refused to use their meter and took away the queue tickets."

Aki and 11 friends get into 2 taxis. Am I missing something or was that a tight squeeze given that these 11 friends also had luggage?

There are Toyota Innova taxis where you can fit 6 passengers. Many of these taxis have roof racks for luggages too.

'... Dalat said an investigation found that Nirut charged 6 Japanese tourist Bt600 and Phanomyong charged the other five tourists Bt550. The charges include express fees ...' The figures don't add up. According to Aki, the charges were Bt600 and Bt750, and excluded tollway fees. But then what the hell is the transport department doing? Enough surely is enough! Take away their licences! Then, perhaps, it will sink in.

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two

Absolutely right too.... Life long ban might stop the other idiots doing it.

Banning for life is not excessive They have been told many many many times that that form of behavior is not acceptable and they ignored it . This seems to be a bit of a problem through out Thailand

Everyone want to do what they want to do and the heck with the consequences . They where warned and that is it

Baned and this is the way it should be Now other drivers will think twice before trying to do this

Banned for life from picking up passengers at Suvarnabhumi for not using the meter and charging 700 Baht? Good thing those taxi drivers were in Bangkok instead of Phuket. That sort of thing is taken much more seriously in Phuket. They would of been lucky to escape with their lives in Phuket. The taxi mafia here doesn't take kindly to drivers charging such cut-rate fares.

I presume they have to pay tax on their income, and I presume this is based on the the meters.

So maybe the should be done for tax avoidance too...

Or maybe those caught should be hit with a estimated supplementary tax bill.

I had a short trip in Bangkok about 2 weeks ago. I was trying to get a taxi from Nana Hotel to Grand palace. No one single taxi want to take me there on meter. They quote from a flat rate from 600-900 Baht. I had tried at least 20 taxi. I ended up not going there. Same thing happened the next day when I was trying to get a taxi to Makkasan station. No taxi would take on meter and quoted me from 300-750 Baht. I ended up using BTS and cost me only 40Baht.Where can I send a compliant to if the Thai government is so concern about the problem.

Interesting who is going to police them from turning up at the airport again. Probably have already

To leave the (new and improved) taxi queue, the driver needs to swipe a card on a gate. Disable the card, and the gate won't open.

Won't stop a creative genius, but then....

Interesting who is going to police them from turning up at the airport again. Probably have already

To leave the (new and improved) taxi queue, the driver needs to swipe a card on a gate. Disable the card, and the gate won't open.

Won't stop a creative genius, but then....

It is a good idea.

Locks don't stop real thieves.