Approx. labor charge to replace 9 ceiling lights and 15 electrical outlets (parts already purchased)

konisaan

I am just trying to get a ball park figure for the labor charge so I know I'm not being charged too much. I have purchased all components already. The electrician just has to replace and assemble all the fittings and connect wiring. I assume a competent electrician can manage this inside of one day.

replace 15 wall sockets and switches

replace 9 round fluoro ceiling light fittings and assemble all the clips ballast into the fittings

You know labor is 300 baht per day.

As for the light bulbs, you only need one thai to hold the bulb. However...at least three more to turn the chair.

Realistically.... 500 baht per day for an electrician...300 for an assistant.

(but I would give them a hefty tip and some lunch)

You might not find an electrician who shows up at Maison Farang for just 500. You could give him 1000 and just let him finish whenever. I bet he does it in one day.

Pretty fair.

Note: make sure the worker has all his own tools. If he shows up and starts asking for tools, then that would be just awful. Tools, ladders....etc. Expect a few trips to the hardware store for odds and ends.

If you find one for 1000 per day (or less), and he does a good job...send me a private email with his phone number and first name. I have similar work (for one day). 6 outlets to be replaced, and repair 2 outdoor post lights along with a very high and dangerous staircase light (impossible for me to reach..and the wiring is shorted out)

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Sounds a simple diy job that you could do without fear providing you turn the power off unless of course you aren't adept to climbing step ladders, 2 wires can't go wrong lol so looking at maybe 500-1000 baht that anyone with any sense could handle.

• Like 1

Did he say 2 wire? If replacing outlets would expect a change to 3 wire if not already that type. As for lights most people buy them assembled by seller as that is a lot of extra time that an electrician doing is going to cost a much higher wage rate than a shop assistant. Good luck even finding a good electrician - they have all the work they can handle and at much higher wage than being talked here.

Poster should provide a location.

If wiring involved between items.

• Like 1

Location is Chiang Mai city.

I asked the building maintenance person (it's a condo) he said there is no earth wiring to any of the lights/outlets. There is earth going to the main board in each room, but he says that's where it stops.

Probably true, that a certified "Electrician" will want more. And, you probably don't really need a "certified" guy. True you could do it yourself...but I don't like bending over or climbing ladders....

Last house I was in, there was an addition that was hot wired to the outside wire. When I switched the circuit breaker off, that room was still live. Close call for me, as I assumed the power was off. I had hired a Thai to wire that room, and just for the afternoon, we paid him 1000 plus a snack and coke. He checked the current with a voltmeter.....wisely enough. Saved my life, and his.

You can go with that....as long as they got experience and come recommended by a neighbor/friend.

There an older english gentleman down the street who hires a guy just out my front gate. He does electrical and aircon reconditioning/cleaning. Probably a snap for him.

I cannot guarantee his work, but my neighbor swears by him. He had 4 aircon units cleaned and wiring checked for 500 baht total

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1