Thailand aims to increase number of Russian tourists

webfact

<QUOTE>

Most Russian tourists visiting Thailand have purchasing power and spend more than 4,800 baht/day/person. Their average stay period is 15 days, longer than those from Europe.

</QUOTE>

I wonder where they spend 4,800 day/person.

Does anyone know?

They probably mean 4,800 for 15 days -> 320 / day (This is more like it)

A recent article about Russian tourists in Vietnam also reported that Russian tourists are bigger spenders than Europeans. In the Central on the beach road Russian shoppers dominate among Caucasians. As for the amount, just a 4 star hotel (Russians again are the biggest customers in 4-5 star category accommodation here) sets you back more than 3000 per night.

The only thing that will bring russians back is value for money

There money might be rebounding but until it but it will take time

Other than offer Russian discounts what else can they do?

Thailand gonna give Russia a stimulus package?

The usual blather from a government official paid to put a smiling face and positive spin on everything.

Regarding the 4,800 baht per day figure, some sources I looked at a few weeks ago made clear that the spending by foreign tourists, regardless of nationality, is in the range of 4,000 to 5,000 baht per day. (Well, maybe not the Burmese "tourists")

Even the Chinese tourists tend to spend that much per day...but their visits are shorter on average, so their revenue per visitor is much less.

Europeans, Americans, Russians, Aussies, all tend to spend about the same amount per day, and a typical visit is 2 weeks.

How do Russians spend 4800 THB / day?... They come to LOS with their babouchkas (wive) and ruin the buffets at the hotels...you hardly see them at nightlife... obviously the babouchka is too jealous...what of course we understand. They are rude and don't show any respect to Thai people. Let's face the truth: they buy low budget trips to LOS and avoid to spend if possible. wai2.gif

Soon to be triple tier pricing.

A beer for Russian 20 baht, For Thai 25 baht. For Other farang not Russian, sorry but you must now pay 200 baht.

It will not work.

They spend their entire vacation sitting in their hotel room drinking vodka.

Cheap Charliskies!

Agreed! Only once ever seen a tourist haggling at the checkout in Tesco Lotus over the price of a shirt. You got it in 1.....a Russian!!

<QUOTE>

Most Russian tourists visiting Thailand have purchasing power and spend more than 4,800 baht/day/person. Their average stay period is 15 days, longer than those from Europe.

</QUOTE>

I wonder where they spend 4,800 day/person.

Does anyone know?

They probably mean 4,800 for 15 days -> 320 / day (This is more like it)

A recent article about Russian tourists in Vietnam also reported that Russian tourists are bigger spenders than Europeans. In the Central on the beach road Russian shoppers dominate among Caucasians. As for the amount, just a 4 star hotel (Russians again are the biggest customers in 4-5 star category accommodation here) sets you back more than 3000 per night.

".....reported that Russian tourists are bigger spenders than Europeans."

".....Russian shoppers dominate among Caucasians."

Perhaps I am being overly pedantic, but isn't western Russia in Europe, thus making them Caucasians?

Of course, it does depend on what part of that vast country they come from.Maybe many of the Russians coming here are from Asiatic Russia (Siberia etc)

They are wanted again. At least their money

Their currency has make a dramatic recovery on the back of high interest rates although still down significantly from last year. They will be back in force later this year ( and Russia is one place that's not going to care about air safety issues) .

Russians spending an average of 4800 THB a day...

That must look like a real fortune for some farangs on this forum :)

Thais saying that Russians are more valuable than westerners... The pill must be hard to swallow. It must hurt the self esteem and sense of superiority of many farang posters :)

Edited by gerry1011

That must look like a real fortune for some farangs on this forum smile.png

Thais saying that Russians are more valuable than westerners... The pill must be hard to swallow. It must hurt the self esteem and sense of superiority of many farang posters smile.png

Sticks and stones etc.....

Especially when coming from the Ministry of Tall Tales and Bold Statements.

That must look like a real fortune for some farangs on this forum smile.png

Thais saying that Russians are more valuable than westerners... The pill must be hard to swallow. It must hurt the self esteem and sense of superiority of many farang posters smile.png

Sticks and stones etc.....

Especially when coming from the Ministry of Tall Tales and Bold Statements.

Still... Reading this thread it seems that a number of western farangs feel humiliated that the Thai government is not paying attention to their (self declared) "super high" contribution to the local economy (You know, the beers, the motorbikes, the cheap condos, the wives, the low cost airline tickets, ... all those farang investments supposed to be driving the Thai economy).

Finally the so heavily criticized Russians and Chinese are more valuable than the grumpy retired farangs and the "students"...

I have the feeling that some here will become even grumpier ;)

Edited by gerry1011

Dream on , the Russians will not arrive in numbers this year . Thailand must accept the facts sooner or later.

And do they really think the average Russian spend 4800 baht per day ? wacko.png , where do they get their numbers from ? 7 eleven staff?

Edited by balo

Where are Russians supposed to actually get all of this money when their GDP is only $7,000 per capita compared to the UK which is $38,000? Australia and Canada are about the same and the USA is about $46,000. Link

BTW China's GDP per capita is an embarrassing $3,500 per capita. This of course is the next superpower, LOL.

The USA has the world's third largest population which is equal to the Eurozone but Thailand fails to get its share of any of that money. That's almost 700 million first world people in Europe and the US.

Thailand is stuck sucking up to Russia and China and we all know the reasons why.

Edited by NeverSure

Where are Russians supposed to actually get all of this money when their GDP is only $7,000 per capita compared to the UK which is $38,000? Australia and Canada are about the same and the USA is about $46,000. Link

BTW China's GDP per capita is an embarrassing $3,500 per capita. This of course is the next superpower, LOL.

The USA has the world's third largest population which is equal to the Eurozone but Thailand fails to get its share of any of that money. That's almost 700 million first world people in Europe and the US.

Thailand is stuck sucking up to Russia and China and we all know the reasons why.

I believe the majority in Russia have less income then the average European or American, but some of them are filthy rich. Oligarcs, politicians and mafia can for sure be big spenders.

I believe the majority in Russia have less income then the average European or American, but some of them are filthy rich. Oligarcs, politicians and mafia can for sure be big spenders.

True, however Thailand wants upward of 30 million tourists and Russia's population is only about 140 million most of which are poor. The number of Russians who are candidates for tourism is a drop in the bucket compared to the EU and the US, Canada and Australia all of which have multiples of income per capita.

The average American has 6.5 times the income of the average Russian and there are more than twice as many Americans as Russians not counting the other western countries so where should Thailand look for the money?

The average American has 13x the income of the average Chinese.

I'm just trying to make the point that Thailand is trying to get money out of other poor countries instead of the 700+ million westerners.

Cheers

Sorry but I don't see that any significant goodness has happened since the Russians were encouraged to come to Thailand 6 or 8 years ago. They had the easier visa. I think they are one of the larges groups of people that violated or abused the visa process. Do you think those Russian ladies handing out fliers on Walking street are here on valid and proper work visas? I think they brought more crime and mafia type activities than most ( not all but most) countries bring, loan sharking, extortion, etc. I think their tour companies are more often than not illegally setup and run. Most Thais I speak to say "too much Russia". OK, some generalities here, but I would love the Tourist Ministry, Immigration, Police, etc, to step up and critically and coldly analyze and report on the efforts and results the last ten years. heck, count all the other countries too.

How do Russians spend 4800 THB / day?... They come to LOS with their babouchkas (wive) and ruin the buffets at the hotels...you hardly see them at nightlife... obviously the babouchka is too jealous...what of course we understand. They are rude and don't show any respect to Thai people. Let's face the truth: they buy low budget trips to LOS and avoid to spend if possible. wai2.gif

I in general agree. Never mind Pattaya, go visit Karon Beach on Phuket. Tour bus, tour bus, Russian group hotel rate. Sure, it probably beats 2 or 3 weeks of a Russian winter. I don't begrudge Russians for trying to get away and enjoy Thailand. But I can't see a country such as Thailand trying to pursue them so much. As others have posted, their average per capita income and disposable income is so much less than many USA citizens. Thailand should induce me to go more often! I am single, an engineer and have a lot of disposable income. If they would just give me simple accommodations such as Flipper lodge was back around 2006 where 800 baht a night would give you the nice rooms, I would love it. My needs are modest. Decent bed, modern quiet AC unit, not some bearing grinding never been oiled or serviced compressor unit, and a comfortable sitting chair or two, and a decent clean pool. I have friends I meet up with, arrange a pig roast at the bar, etc. I enjoy playing pool, visiting attractions such as Nong nooch, crocodile Farm, speed boat or fishing/snorkeling trip if on Ko Samet etc.

Now we know why the Russian nob was out here two weeks ago to see Mr. P. They both must have had the same line, I"ll give you a deal you can't refuse". Somehow I think it is Thailand that will wake up one morning next to a horse's head.

A Thai learning Russian:

Sawadeekaski

Aroyski

Jaideeski

A Russian speaking Thai:

Nyet, krap

Hey you! krap

w00t.gif

TAT, give it up. Their currency will get lower, miracle of miracles Thai baht will go higher, and WW3 is approaching. coffee1.gif

Reminds me of a song "Dream the Impossible Dream" Wish I could remember the name of the singer. Getting old sucks.

@elgordo38...

''The Impossible Dream''....

Sinatra

Elvis

Cher

Tom Jones

Andy Williams

Ed Ames

Connie Francis

Johnny Mathis

Shirley Bassey

Glen Campbell

The Lettermen

The Vogues

The Termptations...

Just to name a few.

Edited by Vallon66

Soon to be triple tier pricing.

A beer for Russian 20 baht, For Thai 25 baht. For Other farang not Russian, sorry but you must now pay 200 baht.

soon u will be hearing UK/US and other farang nationalities speaking with phoney russian accents to get the cheaper pricing.

Richard Kiley sang the song in the original Broadway play "Man of La Mancha" - later on Sinatra and Andy Williams plus others put out their versions!

A Thai learning Russian:

Sawadeekaski

Aroyski

Jaideeski

A Russian speaking Thai:

Nyet, krap

Hey you! krap

w00t.gif

TAT, give it up. Their currency will get lower, miracle of miracles Thai baht will go higher, and WW3 is approaching. coffee1.gif

Reminds me of a song "Dream the Impossible Dream" Wish I could remember the name of the singer. Getting old sucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Guess the Pattaya H00kers have gone up in Price ...