No more Tourist Visa in Kuala Lumpur?

Hey guys, i've been in the embassy of thailand in Kuala lumpur as i did before many times. Today they denied me and others to apply for tourist visa. Look like you need to be resident in Malay for get the tourist Visa

Did you notice about this? What's next now? :S

post-236787-0-28744900-1429516521_thumb.

Not a surprise really. They have been reported as wanting financial proof to get a visa a Malaysian or resident could provide.

Also denials of single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for not being Malaysian or a resident.

Vientiane or Savannakhet for a 2 entry tourist visa would be the best choice.

Or Penang for a single entry.

Does anybody have confirmation for this new situation in KL ? I am currently in Ranong, where I was refused to cross to Myanmar yesterday. It was not even a real visa run, I had booking confirmation for some days and appointments with Myanmar officials, but immigration did not even consider this. Indeed I do have 3 re-entries in my passport, but these were all linked with meetings in southern Myanmar to prepare new job and contracts ! I will need to find a solution within 3 days, until 24th now.

Ideally I would like to get a multiple entry visa, because I do not know yet, for how long I am stuck in Thailand and how many times I will have to got to Myanmar again until my NGO work over there is validated and I obtained my Myanmar visa + work permit.

I read that Savannaketh is a good consulat to go to, even for multiple entries ? Does anybody know if only KL changed policy recently or if there is a general change ? I hope for some input and confirmations ! Thanks in advance !

Only in Savanakhet or Vientiane will you get a double entry tourist visa. Penang is good for a single entry tourist visa, with proof of ticket out of Thailand.

Edited by Mario2008
see responses below.

Only in Savanakhet or Vientiane will you get a double entry tourist visa. Penang is good for a single entry tourist visa, with proof of ticket out of Thailand.

Got my single entry tourist visa on 25 March 2015 WITHOUT ticket proof out of TH.

Does anybody have confirmation for this new situation in KL ? I am currently in Ranong, where I was refused to cross to Myanmar yesterday. It was not even a real visa run, I had booking confirmation for some days and appointments with Myanmar officials, but immigration did not even consider this. Indeed I do have 3 re-entries in my passport, but these were all linked with meetings in southern Myanmar to prepare new job and contracts ! I will need to find a solution within 3 days, until 24th now.

Ideally I would like to get a multiple entry visa, because I do not know yet, for how long I am stuck in Thailand and how many times I will have to got to Myanmar again until my NGO work over there is validated and I obtained my Myanmar visa + work permit.

I read that Savannaketh is a good consulat to go to, even for multiple entries ? Does anybody know if only KL changed policy recently or if there is a general change ? I hope for some input and confirmations ! Thanks in advance !

Immigration is very strict on doing back to back visa exempt entries at border crossings now. You may of been lucky to of been able to do more than one.

Only non immigrant visas are issued as multiple entry visas. Tourist visas are issued by the number of entries allowed.

A tourist visa gives a 60 day entry that can be extended for the 30 days. If you are only going to make short trips out of the country you can get a re-entry permit to to keep the remainder of the 60 day entry and/or the 30 day extension valid when you enter the country.

• Like 2

Immigration is very strict on doing back to back visa exempt entries at border crossings now. You may of been lucky to of been able to do more than one.

Only non immigrant visas are issued as multiple entry visas. Tourist visas are issued by the number of entries allowed.

A tourist visa gives a 60 day entry that can be extended for the 30 days. If you are only going to make short trips out of the country you can get a re-entry permit to to keep the remainder of the 60 day entry and/or the 30 day extension valid when you enter the country.

Great info about re-entry permits, I did not know they apply for tourist visas as well (if I get you right, they do), thank you ! I might be leaving for Myanmar several times, but usually just some days. That was the reason why I was considering as many entries as possible, but in most cases re-entry should be quite fine.

By "multiple entry" I wanted to say 2 or 3 ... sure there is no unlimited entry Tourist visa, thank you.

Anybody in Savannaketh for double entry tourist visa in recent days ? Anybody with similar problem of "back-to-back" exemption history in his passport ? What is your experience with Savannaketh staff, are they willing to listen to explanations if you are able to correctly present them in English or French ?

Thanks to all of you again.

Savannakhet does not take any previous entry history into consideration when issuing the 2 entry visa. They only look for a previous visa issued by them.

You will have no problem getting a 2 entry visa there.

• Like 2

Why doesn't themaramatanga enter Myanmar with a proper embassy issued visa? Then there would be no problems leaving Thailand. The Thai officials are going by the line that foreigners without a Myanmar visa (except visa exempt nationalities including Cambodians, Vietnamese, Laotians, Indos and Filipinos) have to return to Thailand and that their entry into Myanmar is for the purposes of extending their stay in Thailand. That is why he encountered trouble. Even if he doesn't intend on leaving Kawthoung, that is the proper method by which he should consider entering Myanmar until his visa/work permit is sorted out.

When I was temporarily on visa exempt entries in Thailand during the time I worked in China back in 2012/early 2013, I was told 4 visa exempt, back-to-back entries into Thailand was allowed. At that time, I had crossed into Myanmar (Myawady) for meetings on the other side. Also back then, all foreigners including Thais were limited to day trips within a 12km radius of the border (actually you could probably go up to the mountain pass checkpoint 20km beyond the border before being turned back) UNLESS you had special permission to go further into the country. Even Myanmar visas weren't recognized for entry via land at this crossing. Imagine that, a country that doesn't even recognize it's own visas! That of course changed on Aug 28, 2013 at 8am, when 4 Thai-Myanmar checkpoints were opened to visa holders of the respective countries and all nationalities were permitted to cross freely between Thailand and Myanmar across these checkpoints. I explained my situation to the Thai immigration officials at that time, when I was forced to cross into Myawady 2 days in a row because of that ridiculous ruling (at that time) that prohibited foreigners from legally spending the night in Myawady (of course this was a Myanmar government ruling that had nothing to do with the Thais). This, in addition to my fluent Thai saved me although I hadn't even met the 4 visa exempt stamp threshold yet anyway (after the second trip I was on my third and for the time being, last visa exempt entry), but Thai immigration would tell every traveller arriving on a visa exempt entry how many times they will be allowed to enter. I also have the feeling that Thai immigration couldn't imagine why anyone would go to Myawady other than to extend their Thai visa or visa-free stay, because they didn't think there was anything over there. A bit of a discriminatory view, but I could tell that's what they thought.

BUT the old visa-less system that limits travel from the border has remained IF one arrives without a Myanmar visa (except exempt nationalities), which in this case has caused trouble for themaramatanga. Fortunately, if you choose to enter Myanmar with a visa, there's none of this trouble. Thai speakers who are polite and friendly and explain what they are doing, including indicating when they will leave Thailand will also likely encounter fewer issues than non-Thai speakers. Thai immigration is always friendlier to me because I speak their language than if I couldn't - although nowadays I have a non-B multi so I'm OK anyway.

Great info about re-entry permits, I did not know they apply for tourist visas as well (if I get you right, they do), thank you ! I might be leaving for Myanmar several times, but usually just some days. That was the reason why I was considering as many entries as possible, but in most cases re-entry should be quite fine.

By "multiple entry" I wanted to say 2 or 3 ... sure there is no unlimited entry Tourist visa, thank you.

Anybody in Savannaketh for double entry tourist visa in recent days ? Anybody with similar problem of "back-to-back" exemption history in his passport ? What is your experience with Savannaketh staff, are they willing to listen to explanations if you are able to correctly present them in English or French ?

While it might depend a little bit on how many times you are going to Myanmar, but judging by your story about being refused at Ranong, it sounds to me like your meetings are all scheduled in Kawthoung or vicinity. This is because if you enter Myanmar there without a visa, you will be restricted to a certain radius from the border.

Consequently, wouldn't it be easier and better to just start getting Myanmar tourist visas from the embassy in Bangkok, to cover your meetings in Myanmar? That way you would not be looked upon as a Thai visa runner from Thai immigration's perspective. And since you eventually intend on working in Myanmar, a couple of more Thai visa exempt entries, especially if you aren't making back-to-back ones, shouldn't be a problem from Thailand's perspective either as Thailand is merely a transit point for you.

You could of course go to Savannakhet for a Thai visa, but unless you think you'll need another 90-180 days in the country, I wouldn't bother.

Another tip: it's obviously best if you can speak Thai or Lao with the consular staff (in that order), but otherwise English. Nobody will be able to speak French, that language stopped being popular once Laos achieved it's independence from France back in the 1940's so only a few old timers might be able to speak it and that's out on the streets. If you can't speak Thai or Lao, English is the only other useful language at the Thai consulate.

• Like 1

Thank you tomtomtom69 for these details.
Indeed, I think you are right, and I considered the idea of another real Myanmar Visa (the very first time I had one issued by the consulat back in Germany). For me, there are 2 good reasons to abandon this idea: I never know when and how many times I have to enter Myanmar, and as far as I know, the Myanmar visa would be used, even by a short stay. And once you have the real visa, you can no more choose to just apply for just a simple visa on arrival (like for example in Kawthaung). So on every simple entry to Myanmar, I would need a new visa. Second, getting the Myanmar visa in Bangkok would make me travel there just for the visa, and is often reported to be really a pain in the ...(sorry) . So travel and pay for getting Myanmar visa to avoid problems with Thai visa is probably more like pushing the problem around, no ? Thanks anyway ... would be glad if my thai language was better, you're probably right about that, even if I have always been treated correctly and in a friendly way (which apparently does not apply to people from every country or culture).

• Like 1

It's a pity really that individual embassies and consulates can make up their own direction, and that they aren't ordered by the Thai government to adhere to rules as given by them.

It would be fantastic for places like Phnom Penh, KL, Penang etc to be proactive in giving visas to those that meet the requirements. It would also boost their income and inject money into the local economy via hotels, F+B etc.

• Like 1

It is truly amazing that a government can not staff embassies throughout with people who have all been through the same training course, learning from a common date base, so that an application for any category of Thai Visa could be lodged at any Thai Consulate passport office.

The current situation where everything is subject to the whims of individuals, each playing their own power game, (which of course is a mask for ignorance and laziness) is shamefully stupid.

• Like 2

It is truly amazing that a government can not staff embassies throughout with people who have all been through the same training course, learning from a common date base, so that an application for any category of Thai Visa could be lodged at any Thai Consulate passport office.

The current situation where everything is subject to the whims of individuals, each playing their own power game, (which of course is a mask for ignorance and laziness) is shamefully stupid.

I have been saying that in my posts for years, but this is Thailand. If anything makes sense they are not interested, it is completely against Thai policy to make anything easier unless there is more money for them.

• Like 2

It is a shame.

I was in Phnom Penh about 4 years ago and went to get a single-entry Non-O based on marriage.

No way, had to pay the guard outside about double the amount and it would take 5 working days. More money couldn't make it come any faster. No real bother as I was on holiday anyway. While at the same time, the next country up - Laos - no problem at all, next day pick up.

Bizarre, and also a shame.

• Like 1

Thank you tomtomtom69 for these details.

Indeed, I think you are right, and I considered the idea of another real Myanmar Visa (the very first time I had one issued by the consulat back in Germany). For me, there are 2 good reasons to abandon this idea: I never know when and how many times I have to enter Myanmar, and as far as I know, the Myanmar visa would be used, even by a short stay. And once you have the real visa, you can no more choose to just apply for just a simple visa on arrival (like for example in Kawthaung). So on every simple entry to Myanmar, I would need a new visa. Second, getting the Myanmar visa in Bangkok would make me travel there just for the visa, and is often reported to be really a pain in the ...(sorry) . So travel and pay for getting Myanmar visa to avoid problems with Thai visa is probably more like pushing the problem around, no ? Thanks anyway ... would be glad if my thai language was better, you're probably right about that, even if I have always been treated correctly and in a friendly way (which apparently does not apply to people from every country or culture).

In a sense yes, but perhaps if you could get yourself a Myanmar business visa, you'll eventually be granted a multiple entry Myanmar business visa which would greatly facilitate your entry into the country and not restrict you to the border area you entered without a visa. I believe normally, 3 single entry business visas are required before a multi will be granted but occasionally an official might give you a multi entry after only one single entry; it's at the discretion of the officials at the embassy. Anyway, just a thought - but I would personally rather do it that way. Unless as you say it will take too long to get your Myanmar working visa and thus you need to sort out your Thai visa situation in the meantime. But it all depends on how much time you are intending on spending in Thailand for now.

sure there is no unlimited entry Tourist visa

Actually, although it would only be of value in extreme circumstances, it is possible to create one ... at a cost.

If you were spending, say, 2 days in Myanmar followed by 2 days in Thailand alternately for 60 days, you could get a 60 day tourist visa and a multiple reentry permit (3,800 baht) to go with it. This would allow you unlimited entries within the 60-day period following your first entry.

In a sense yes, but perhaps if you could get yourself a Myanmar business visa, you'll eventually be granted a multiple entry Myanmar business visa which would greatly facilitate your entry into the country and not restrict you to the border area you entered without a visa. I believe normally, 3 single entry business visas are required before a multi will be granted but occasionally an official might give you a multi entry after only one single entry; it's at the discretion of the officials at the embassy. Anyway, just a thought - but I would personally rather do it that way. Unless as you say it will take too long to get your Myanmar working visa and thus you need to sort out your Thai visa situation in the meantime. But it all depends on how much time you are intending on spending in Thailand for now.

Thanks tomtomtom69, looks like you have experience with Myanmar visa questions ? Sorry if off-topic, but maybe you can PM me, if you have any ideas. I would love to finally get a MM business visa ... but my case is not as easy as one company sending me to another in Myanmar (in that case no problem, 2 letters and you're done). I'm going on a private/freelance base, setting up new non-profit project and structure, together with some NGO partners already based in Yangon... though not all officially registered (very complicate there). I might be able to produce some invitation letters, but not about covering my costs. Add to this the objectives of our NGO development work, connected to issues like transparency, land rights, empowerment,.... you might imagine how happy officials are to welcome us and our work in the country ;-) But hey, never stop trying and bothering, in the end it always works out. Looks like its part of the game, pretty much everywhere in the world. It's just annoying to have thai visa problems IN ADDITION to that ... thought I already had enough of them in MM :-). If anybody would like to continue this discussion on MM visa, pleas PM me, or i might open another thread in the corresponding MM forum.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I have a friend that was planning a trip to KL, where he has never been before, and apply for a tourist visa at the thai consulate... can anybody confirm that is no longer possible and that you have to be either Malaysian or a foreigner resident in Malaysia in order to apply for it?

Thanks.

Report posted yesterday of getting one. Kuala Lumpur single entry tourist visa success

It seems to depend on the day you are there.

According with what the american user posted on the thread that you kindly suggested, is thanks to his citizenship that he's got the visa, he also provided a link specifying the citizens of which countries MUST be resident in order to apply for the visas http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18987-LIST-OF-COUNTRIES-THAT-MUST-HAVE-RESIDENT-IN-MALAY.html

It would be useful and interesting knowing the citizenship of the user who created this post... along with the other 2 friends who've been denied the visa

• 1 month later...

Not a surprise really. They have been reported as wanting financial proof to get a visa a Malaysian or resident could provide.

Also denials of single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for not being Malaysian or a resident.

Can that single entry from Penang be converted to Multi while in Thailand Thanks in advance

Can that single entry from Penang be converted to Multi while in Thailand Thanks in advance

No it is not possible to get additional entries added to a tourist visa.

whistling.gifJust to add some information to this topic the following :

In June 2015 I was denied in Penang, Malaysia a double entry tourist visa.

I previously got one there before in 2014, and although I asked for a double tourist there in June 2015 they limited me to a single entry tourist.

At that same time I was told that I would need to have a Malaysian resident card or I.D. card to get another tourist visa in Penang.

At that time there were Malaysian residents having photo-copies of there Malaysian residence cards or I.D. cards made in order to apply for a Thai tourist visa also.

So it is clear that in June 2015 the rule about needing a Malaysian residence card was being enforced in Penang at that time.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gifJust to add some information to this topic the following :

In June 2015 I was denied in Penang, Malaysia a double entry tourist visa.

I previously got one there before in 2014, and although I asked for a double tourist there in June 2015 they limited me to a single entry tourist.

At that same time I was told that I would need to have a Malaysian resident card or I.D. card to get another tourist visa in Penang.

At that time there were Malaysian residents having photo-copies of there Malaysian residence cards or I.D. cards made in order to apply for a Thai tourist visa also.

So it is clear that in June 2015 the rule about needing a Malaysian residence card was being enforced in Penang at that time.

Hasn't it been established it depends on your nationality? See post 26

Edited by FBlue72