Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

I quite like being overtaken. It gives me the opportunity to observe how the other vehicle is performing/running, especially on a motorbike.

Driving even 20km into or out of BKK will see at least 3 or 4 Thais become aggressive and need to 'beat me' should I simply overtake them at my cruising speed. It’s like it flicks a switch in their head. If it safe to do so I pull over and wave them past.

Often they will kick out their leg or legs in a victory salute. Or start dancing on their bike, wiggling it around, or lift up their bottom, or a combination there of.

Why?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this for real????

It is. It happens every day.

Usually Thai scooterists when I'm on my motorbike. Not just a bit of light and playful competition that doesn't matter to the rider. Very, very aggressive (dangerously aggressive), then often gloating when they have reached an unassailable lead (in their imaginary race)

Why?

I travel in and around bkk i guess more than most here and have noticed this phenomenon grumpy posts about, I normally dont want to be first away from the lights..fear of red light runners , i tend to let a few pull away in front of me,

If riding the cbr its quite normal that i would be passing the scooters soon after without even revving the bike into the power band, there are a few thais who seem to take this personal and will go to extreme measures to pass regardless of the danger they put themselves in,

They dont seem to realise that i,m not racing them even when i stop beside them at the next traffic light.

I guess you only notice such things if you want to notice them. And as soon as you want to notice them they will happen somehow.

Same circumstances, different perception. Like my neighbour, who always starts talking about all these sexy girls he sees everywhere. For me there are just thai women on the streets, some nice some not nice, some interesting, some not. He is more pubescent, i am more geriatric i guess laugh.png

I travel in and around bkk i guess more than most here and have noticed this phenomenon grumpy posts about, I normally dont want to be first away from the lights..fear of red light runners , i tend to let a few pull away in front of me,

If riding the cbr its quite normal that i would be passing the scooters soon after without even revving the bike into the power band, there are a few thais who seem to take this personal and will go to extreme measures to pass regardless of the danger they put themselves in,

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Happens 3 to 4 times on my 20km or so commute from outer BKK to in and vice versa.

2 friends were 2-up on a Honda wave and passed a local on a Phantom along Ratchada, he revved up and genuinely tried to kick them off, then followed them to their condo and said he was police and demanded to see their workpermits and visas. They're chilled out guys and just said sure, we'll go up and get them and left him there.

I ride a CBR500 with proper gear including a reflective vest and open face helmet when in the city for visibility. Cruise past scooters(or a ninja/cbr150/250 or whatever) and it seems to make many of them absolutely furious. Aggression mode seems to go off the scale and they literally attack with their scooter/bike until they are in front and can then gloat. Off course I may be 'around' 30-40 other scooters etc on my ride so it seems to be about 10%.

Why?

I guess you only notice such things if you want to notice them.

Funny you say that.

Years ago when I lived in Ratchada and owned a Ninja 250 I had obviously noticed a lot of leg kicking because I consciously pondered why so many guys are getting cramps or whatever in their legs. :D

About 1 year after that thought and seeing it so many times, I was with a few Thai guys and one was on about an accident he witnessed when a leg kicking racer was taken out by a car racing a red light turn, in front of him. The light bulb went off and I asked about it, 'To show they beat you' was the answer.

I thought it was absolutely bizarre.

And still do.

When someone is desperate to pass me, I like to let them catch up, shift to whatever gear puts me at about 7K, and then I put my left hand on my hip and twist the throttle (this takes a little practice as it hits pretty hard- I don't go WFO or I'll need both hands)- sometimes I give them a little wave- if they catch up at a stoplight later I'll fiddle with my GPS or my headset control. I'd imagine it's absolutely infuriating for them (at least I hope it is)- I haven't been kicked or shot yet.:)

Is this for real????

It is. It happens every day.

Usually Thai scooterists when I'm on my motorbike. Not just a bit of light and playful competition that doesn't matter to the rider. Very, very aggressive (dangerously aggressive), then often gloating when they have reached an unassailable lead (in their imaginary race)

Why?

I have been riding in Bangkok for 8 years, I ride over 100 km nearly everyday, and I have never seen this happen, ever!

Now, I have had the odd car get stupid and aggressive when I have beeped them over something, but that is another story.

When someone is desperate to pass me, I like to let them catch up, shift to whatever gear puts me at about 7K, and then I put my left hand on my hip and twist the throttle

Haha. That's sometimes an addition to the scenario. Twice in the last few months a raider or sonic rider has revved up to overtake me as I cruise along and their hand goes on their hip to show how little effort if was, I presume, or perhaps they have a stitch or sore hip.

I quite like being overtaken as it's interesting to observe how the bike is running, any mods etc etc.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Happens 3 to 4 times on my 20km or so commute from outer BKK to in and vice versa.

2 friends were 2-up on a Honda wave and passed a local on a Phantom along Ratchada, he revved up and genuinely tried to kick them off, then followed them to their condo and said he was police and demanded to see their workpermits and visas. They're chilled out guys and just said sure, we'll go up and get them and left him there.

I ride a CBR500 with proper gear including a reflective vest and open face helmet when in the city for visibility. Cruise past scooters(or a ninja/cbr150/250 or whatever) and it seems to make many of them absolutely furious. Aggression mode seems to go off the scale and they literally attack with their scooter/bike until they are in front and can then gloat. Off course I may be 'around' 30-40 other scooters etc on my ride so it seems to be about 10%.

Why?

Riding with an open face helmet will exaggerate this aggressive behaviour, use the mirrors for squeezing zits...pulling hairs out your chin...picking your nose while at the lights and try to blend in a little, if that fails get a full face helmet,

I have a friend who races in the asia cup series, also well known as a street racer, she told as a female this macho reaction when commuting in bkk is much worse than we experience.

Never experienced this at all, and I have ridden all over Thailand and had Bikes here since 1991.

Perhaps you're a crap rider and pose a danger to them ?

Agree. As usual, the OP is trying to find fault with the Thais. But of course, one or two resident morons who don't know any better will feel a need to concur. Even if it rarely happens anywhere in Thailand.

Agree. As usual, the OP is trying to find fault with the Thais. But of course, one or two resident morons who don't know any better will feel a need to concur. Even if it rarely happens anywhere in Thailand.

You seem angry. And a bit green. On another thread of mine you went a bit nuts and called me a BS'er. When I pointed out that 4 other posters, including a moderator, all said they had the same issue, on the very first page of the thread, you never replied, fled, never to return.

It's obvious you are just a troll.

We need this for your ilk:

t2d0b68_f6c22c_troll-spray.gif

Edited by Happy Grumpy

When I pass the som tam lady she always gives me the finger, I need some feedback.....What should I do??

Its a way of saying hello to people on motorcycles. I get it all the time.

Do it back as its rude not too.

Nation wide pandemic phenomenon. Understanding Thai psyche about this is not difficult if you understand the Power in the words Sia Na, the role it plays in aggressive to deadly behavior and the toll it has on life and society in this lovely country. Or a deeper Them vs Any Country and you will see their national pride surface. When there is this challenge they will risk dying overtaking you to be able to thrust their fists in the air shouting THAILAND!

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere