Do You Have Car Cam ?

I have looked at a lot of different models and decided upon http://www.blackvue.com.sg/full-hd-dr650gw-2ch.html and ordered from Singapore since I couldn't find this model in Thailand.

This one meets all of my original requirements:

1) While driving if the unit detects an impact it protects the recording automatically (in case you are incapacitated).

2) Parked mode where the unit will start recording if it detects an impact even while the vehicle is turned off.

3) Dual channel recording which means front and rear using dual cameras (one mounts on the front windshield and one on the back).

4) Audio recording.

The price including the power magic pro (keeps your battery from draining too far) is about 400 USD.

Regards,

Kurt

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked at a lot of different models and decided upon http://www.blackvue.com.sg/full-hd-dr650gw-2ch.html and ordered from Singapore since I couldn't find this model in Thailand.

1) While driving if the unit detects an impact it protects the recording automatically (in case you are incapacitated).

2) Parked mode where the unit will start recording if it detects an impact even while the vehicle is turned off.

3) Dual channel recording which means front and rear using dual cameras (one mounts on the front windshield and one on the back).

4) Audio recording.

The price including the power magic pro (keeps your battery from draining too far) is about 400 USD.

Regards,

Kurt

This is the cam I recently installed in my latest car... IMO its the best one.

Not yet available in Thailand I purchased it in the UK on my latest visit.

Also note, it has direct access to recorded files (and live view) from your smart phone via wifi... But no screen.

It also has a GPS and maps your location.

Don't buy a cheap camera. They usually don't last very long and are rubbish at night recording.

Get a camera where the supplier/manufacturer at least has a website and preferably firmware updates so you can get some information and help if there are problems. I would not consider anything less than a few thousand Baht.

I have a couple of DOD LS430W one at front and the other at the rear http://www.dod-tec.com/index.php/product/detail/64

A few things to be aware of with DashCams. Keep an eye to check it is actually still recording. There is usually some indication, like a little flashing light that will tell you all is well. Don't rely on picture on the screen which may be working normally but not recording anything.

Regularly check the recorded files. I have had a couple of occasions where a file was corrupt and wouldn't play, which could be a problem if that was the one that had an accident on it. Not sure what the problem was, but I think possibly too much overwriting on the SD card. They do not last forever, so I changed from a 16GB to a 32GB and hope with less overwriting it solves the problem.

These cameras have a small battery inside which keeps the camera running for a few moments after turning off the ignition and is useful for replay on site if necessary. Both my camera batteries don't hold a charge anymore. Not a big problem as the camera still works while connected to the car, but I'm going to fit new batteries in the near future.

If you car has built in GPS the camera MAY block the signal and stop the GPS from working. happened to me and a couple of others. Just moving the camera location slightly should solve that problem.

Tinted windows are not a problem. The cameras have a brightness setting and if your windows are dark enough to have an affect you can adjust the brightness. I have mine set to +1.

A couple of tips from other members. The cameras also record audio so say you have someone do a hit and run on you, instead of scambling for a pen and paper to get their number plate just speak their number and you will have it on record. If you don't know Thai letters just say what it looks like an "N with squiggle on top"

Another good tip is to keep a spare empty SD card in the car so in the case of an accident where there my be some confusion you can you can whip out the card in the camera and keep it safe.

There are Cig Lighter extensions available from Tesco and many other places. post-35075-0-29729900-1423572543_thumb.j

I have my two cams hard wired to the accessory circuit which leaves my cig socket free. A point worth mentioning DO NOT just cut off the plug on the camera and connect to the car. There is a voltage reducer in the plug that brings down the voltage that the camera uses. It would not like a full 12V

Lots of previous threads on here about Dash Cams that cover all these points and more so worth searching if you are serious.

smile.png

Worth getting...

I originally bought one cos I wanted to avoid extortion by Thai police for trivial stuff.

But what actually happened I could never have foretold, I was involved in an accident of which the footage appeared on Thai TV.

It involved a fatality which is very very sad but without this camera the inherent rules of the road in Thailand ie: Car vs Bike would have landed me in the blame - given the fact that I was a Farang could have cost a lot of money too. The initial responding (uneducated) police were rubbing their hands together in anticipation of a payday!

After the Body Snatchers arrived, I pulled out the laptop and played the incident to the camcorder wielding ambulance chasers, and thus it ended up on National TV (2 nights in a row)- in effect providing a kind of immunity to extortion of any form.

Being totally blameless and having the evidence to back it up - was the best 2000 baht I ever spent in Thailand!

4) Audio recording.

Regards,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

did you order online? where? delivery time? custom/taxes to be paid in Thailand?

Thanks MrJ

Thanks for all the comments. I found a high level one on lazada... (6000 baht / $230)

http://www.lazada.co.th/novatek-gs8000l-black-1-1-343101.html

as per below, it has wide angle lense, loop recording and looks like it can be hard wired. For $230 it sounds better deal than the blackview which adds up to a lot of coin paying the 'great british pounds'. Its a lot more expensive at 490 quid

the lazada one below says it has a built in battery. Im no sparky but does that mean that if its hard wired to the cars battery then is this how the battery is re-charged? Can anyone comment on this?????

the experience of the world's most innovative security Novatek. Car Camera - Model GS8000L camcorder on the car for the video recording and motion tiny lightweight, easy to install the windshield. Can carry safety And quality go anywhere Ideal for all trips.Every trip to the car. The north, south, turn to the east. Or tour to the East Are ready to help save every scene feature - Car Camera GS8000L chip Novatec - can record video contrast to a Full HD 1080P - a small camera screen 2.7 "crystal clear, easy to use - the video file size. Resolution: 1920x1080p @ 24fps / 1440x1080P @ 30fps / 1280x720p @ 30fps / 848x480 @ 30fps - Zoom 4x Digital zoom - Wide angle lens 140 degree image collection is complete - Recording Loop automatically Loop recording - recording continuously without pause. Seam recording - recording when there is motion Motion Detection Function - Start recording automatically when the car on and off automatically when the engine

spec:

Specifications

- Sensor: 5M CMOS Sensor, 1 / 2.5 inch light-sensing surface Area
- LCD: 2.7 inch 16: 9 TFT LCD
- Lens: 140 + grade High-resolution Ultra Wide Angle Lens
- Video Resolution:
- 1080FHD 1.92 thousand * 1080P @. 24fps
- 1080P 1440 * 1080P @ 30fps
- 720P 1 280 * 720P @ 30fps
- WVGA 848 * 480P @ 30fps
- Video Format: AVI
- Video Encode: M-JPEG
- Photo Format: JPEG
- Photo Resolution: 5M 2592 * 1944, 8M 3264. * 2 448, two thousand seven hundred and thirty-six 12M 10M 3648 * 4032 * 3024, * 1536 3M 2,048, 2MHD in 1920 * 640 * 480 VGA one thousand and eighty, the 1280th 1.3M * 960
- Continuous LOOP Video: Seamless LOOP recording, do Not leak secon
- Automatically poweron / off. : Support Auto ignition Boot, turn off Shutdown
- Media Storage: TF Card, up to 32GB
- Motion Detection Function: Support
- Optional Language: Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / Russian / Korean / Japanese / English / French / Portuguese / Spanish / German. / Italian
- Interface: USB support
- Zoom: 4X Digital zoom
- Audio: Built in microphone / speaker
- Battery: 300mAh, Built-in Battery
- Manual Language: English / Russian / Simplified Chinese
- USB Function: 1: USB-Disk; 2: PC-Cam
- Warranty: 30 days.

Thanks for all the comments. I found a high level one on lazada... (6000 baht / $230)

http://www.lazada.co.th/novatek-gs8000l-black-1-1-343101.html

as per below, it has wide angle lense, loop recording and looks like it can be hard wired. For $230 it sounds better deal than the blackview which adds up to a lot of coin paying the 'great british pounds'. Its a lot more expensive at 490 quid

the lazada one below says it has a built in battery. Im no sparky but does that mean that if its hard wired to the cars battery then is this how the battery is re-charged? Can anyone comment on this?????

The one your showing in your link at Lazada is 1749bt not 6000bt.

They all have built in batteries, but are not designed to be used on their battery power as they only

run for a few minutes before they switch off.

You need to run them off the in car power supply cigar lighter socket or buy an additional one like this:

post-63109-0-47495200-1423642072_thumb.j

Worth getting...

I originally bought one cos I wanted to avoid extortion by Thai police for trivial stuff.

But what actually happened I could never have foretold, I was involved in an accident of which the footage appeared on Thai TV.

It involved a fatality which is very very sad but without this camera the inherent rules of the road in Thailand ie: Car vs Bike would have landed me in the blame - given the fact that I was a Farang could have cost a lot of money too. The initial responding (uneducated) police were rubbing their hands together in anticipation of a payday!

After the Body Snatchers arrived, I pulled out the laptop and played the incident to the camcorder wielding ambulance chasers, and thus it ended up on National TV (2 nights in a row)- in effect providing a kind of immunity to extortion of any form.

Being totally blameless and having the evidence to back it up - was the best 2000 baht I ever spent in Thailand!

First hand information and the best example I have read to date of why a dashcam is necessary.

The technology is there, I can't think of a reason not to use it.

This story is exactly why I have protected myself with a dashcam.

ghworker2010 What's the price of 1749 baht then?

i confess to making a mistake. It looks like lazada are offering buy 1 get 1 free at 1749 baht. The 6000 baht option is from another seller on lazada. But obviously they are crazy to have such a large listing price.

The only concern is the 30 day warranty. But if its that cheap then so bit it...

i confess to making a mistake. It looks like lazada are offering buy 1 get 1 free at 1749 baht. The 6000 baht option is from another seller on lazada. But obviously they are crazy to have such a large listing price.

The only concern is the 30 day warranty. But if its that cheap then so bit it...

BTW, that model is available on Ebay for $35 with free shipping.

Edited by giddyup

These cheap cameras are prone to fail quite quickly hence why they only offer 30day warranty.

If you do buy from Lazada, they offer a 7 day return policy with electronic goods, make sure you thoroughly test it as soon as you receive it, in case you have a faulty one, then you can send it back for a refund.

I also think you can buy this camera at most shops over the counter for around the same price.

Edit: Another seller is selling the same camera for only 1290bt

http://www.lazada.co.th/bt-car-camera-gs8000l-black-456396.html

Or even cheaper 890bt

http://www.lazada.co.th/disti-connect-hd-dvr-video-recorder-camera-8000l-black-578831.html

Edited by sotsira

These cheap cameras are prone to fail quite quickly hence why they only offer 30day warranty.

If you do buy from Lazada, they offer a 7 day return policy with electronic goods, make sure you thoroughly test it as soon as you receive it, in case you have a faulty one, then you can send it back for a refund.

I also think you can buy this camera at most shops over the counter for around the same price.

Or even cheaper 890bt

http://www.lazada.co.th/disti-connect-hd-dvr-video-recorder-camera-8000l-black-578831.html

You get TWO from Lazada for the price of 1749 baht.

Edited by giddyup

Or even cheaper 890bt

Ok, well this seller on Lazada is selling them for only 720bt so if you want two it'll only

cost you 1440bt thumbsup.gif

http://www.lazada.co.th/car-camcorder-gs-8000l-with-27-screen-black-516631.html

I use Vision Drive, expensive but the best. I take it to Thailand and back to OZ when travelling.

All your questions answered on the link below.

http://www.visiondrive.net.au/

Definitely the most expensive but looking at some of the youtube vids in my opinion is far from the best.

Resolution of 1280x960 @ 15fps is pretty ordinary compared to many high end cameras that do 1920x1080 @ 30fps.

Or even cheaper 890bt

Ok, well this seller on Lazada is selling them for only 720bt so if you want two it'll only

cost you 1440bt thumbsup.gif

http://www.lazada.co.th/car-camcorder-gs-8000l-with-27-screen-black-516631.html

Even better. Looking at the Youtube video it's pretty much useless at night, so if you're going to have an accident, try and do it in daylight.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've been thinking about buying a dash cam for a while but I run my GPS off the cigarette lighter when out and about (apart from trips to the supermarket etc). Are there dash cams that work off a battery that I could use when on a longer trip?

Alan

You can buy a double (or triple) adapter for the cigarette lighter so you can run both.

Thanks for that.

As it happened, my girlfriend came home last night and started talking about dashcams. Apparently, there is a shop near her shop that sells them so I'm going to have a look this afternoon. Hopefully, they'll have a double adapter that I can use.

Alan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've been thinking about buying a dash cam for a while but I run my GPS off the cigarette lighter when out and about (apart from trips to the supermarket etc). Are there dash cams that work off a battery that I could use when on a longer trip?

Alan

You can buy a double (or triple) adapter for the cigarette lighter so you can run both.

Thanks for that.

As it happened, my girlfriend came home last night and started talking about dashcams. Apparently, there is a shop near her shop that sells them so I'm going to have a look this afternoon. Hopefully, they'll have a double adapter that I can use.

Alan

where do you live? where is near to her shop? ;-) if they have decent staff let us know....

is there a 2 camera dashcam that will start up when the door is opened and takes photos / audio of the Btards that are stealing stuff out of my car ?

must have great night time video because that is when the rats come out and steal !

or any other ideas to film them in the act !

is there a 2 camera dashcam that will start up when the door is opened and takes photos / audio of the Btards that are stealing stuff out of my car ?

must have great night time video because that is when the rats come out and steal !

Well, you could wire it to the door switch circuit instead of the accessory circuit.

But then they would probably steal the camera biggrin.png

The Blackvue unit I purchased has parked mode, which will start recording if it detects slightest movement so yes if the door is opened the unit will start recording video and audio but if they nick it from your windshield then well you are screwed anyway.

Kurt

The Blackvue unit I purchased has parked mode, which will start recording if it detects slightest movement so yes if the door is opened the unit will start recording video and audio but if they nick it from your windshield then well you are screwed anyway.

Kurt

It won't film someone coming in through a passenger or drivers door unless you face it either of those ways.

Kurt

As already mentioned in this thread somewhere... and after plenty of research, in my opinion the best cam out there is...

The BlackVue DR650GW-2CH

Combined with the Power Magic it will work in parked mode (with motion sensors).

Kurt

It won't film someone coming in through a passenger or drivers door unless you face it either of those ways.

You are correct but if they bump the car while outside or try to enter the car unsuccessfully then you will have footage of them leaving.

Kurt

Kurt

You are correct but if they bump the car while outside or try to enter the car unsuccessfully then you will have footage of them leaving.

Kurt

Assuming they leave in the direction the camera is pointing, but I guess it's better than nothing.