Drunken monk delivered to police by trishaw rider

Thaivisa News

Udon Thani:- A drunken monk hired a trishaw rider to deliver him to his temple but the rider instead sent him to a police station. He was defrocked immediately but insisted that he must demonstrate his “singing talent” to police before leaving their station.

Phra Boonthan Chanthasutharo, whose layman identification is Boonthan Boonsong, 49, was delivered to the Mueang Udon Thani police station at 0:15 am Sunday.

Pol Lt Thanakorn Phukhao, who was on duty at the station, said the monk appeared drunk and his breath had strong smell of alcohol.

His ordainment certificate showed that he was a monk of Wat Mai Songpluey in Tambon Serpleu of Udon Thani’ Khumwapi district and he was ordained on February 8.

The monk cried foul when he realized that he was at the police station instead of his temple.

Police checked his blood alcohol level and found that he had up to 399 mg per cent blood alcohol content so police decided to defrock him.

Realizing he was about to be defrocked, the monk asked police to sing a song first. After that, police called the Udon Sawang Methatham Foundation to provide layman clothes for him to wear.

A layman Boonthan then told police that he used to be a singer of a local band in Udon Thani. He said he attended a funeral rite of a relative at the Nong Tao Lek community.

After the praying rite ended and all guests had left, the monk stayed on. He said he saw relatives drinking so he joined them. He said he hired a trishaw to send him back to his temple and did not expect to end up at the police station.

Police said Boonthan was ordained once earlier at Wat Nong Tao Lek but he was defrocked in May last year.

Simply being drunk is a crime?

So becoming a monk is a religious function, but getting de-monked is something within civil authority?

I guess most of us come from countries where church (or wat) is separate from state, so this is unusual to a foreigner.

Or is it a case where they just made him change his clothes simply for the sake of not disgracing the cloth by being drunk in his monk outfit, then send him off back to his boss monk. But damn the trishaw driver for doing that. Or maybe the monk ticked him off.

• Like 1

Drunk monk delivered to police by trishaw rider

The trishaw rider the extension of the law, "delivering" the prisoner into proper custody?

Or was this "delivery" actually some kind of rebirth?

Edited by Morakot

So becoming a monk is a religious function, but getting de-monked is something within civil authority?

I guess most of us come from countries where church (or wat) is separate from state, so this is unusual to a foreigner.

Or is it a case where they just made him change his clothes simply for the sake of not disgracing the cloth by being drunk in his monk outfit, then send him off back to his boss monk. But damn the trishaw driver for doing that. Or maybe the monk ticked him off.

Yes it is confusing... I was under the impression that the Abbot had to defrock the monk before the monk could be subject to civilian laws / charges. So I guess the police were just physically taking off his robes like you said.

Or maybe this is another situation where Section 44 can be implemented to expedite the matter....

• Like 1

Yes it is confusing... I was under the impression that the Abbot had to defrock the monk before the monk could be subject to civilian laws / charges. So I guess the police were just physically taking off his robes like you said.

Or maybe this is another situation where Section 44 can be implemented to expedite the matter....

Yes, you are correct... Only the Abbot can defrock the monk.. The police probably just had him put on civilian clothing, however, don't think they can do that either. The whole story isn't here. What should have happened, was the police sending for the Abbot and letting the Abbot make that decision. Maybe section 44? coffee1.gif

If someone becomes a monk or priest or accepts any similar position they must obey the rules of said organization. These are positions that people respect as they see them as being a self sacrifice of personal freedom for spiritual enlightenment. The people who accept the position but do not obey the rules are not entitled to this respect and should be held in contempt and stripped of everything they have gained from that position. This is not a job it is a calling and should only be taken for spiritual gain not financial gain. The man who took this guy to the police is to be commended, he has earned my respect. The monk who would have automatically had my respect has lost it.