Boat passengers to be required to wear life jackets

Thaivisa News

in the workforce for offshore personal, everyone on a vessel underway upon the water is required to wear/owns their own or is furnished a certified approved life jacket..

its hard to stay afloat wearing work clothing, including steel toes footwear if you slip and fall overboard. lifejackets for all personnel has been a standard requirement for at least 35_+ years in the world wheree employee welfare/safety is of concern.

a disoriented person does not have the capacity/strength to cling to a wooden deck chair, box, etc children, frail/olderl individuals, disabled, etc use these facilities. are their lives/safety not worth considersation?

"He said passenger boats on the Saensaeb Canal, Chao Phraya shuttle boats, and dinner river cruise boats will be exempted from the compulsory life jacket wearing rule.'

Why?

Yes , they have spoiled it now - I was just getting a mental picture of commuters hopping on and off the canal boat or river shuttle while juggling tatty old lifejackets at the same time because the boat captain is in a hurry..., or trying to access the prawn buffet with a dirty old cork lifejacket over their hiso outfits....

And what about the monks who travel up and down the ChaoPraya? Surely they will be exempt too? The lifejackets will clash colours with their robes....

"He said passenger boats on the Saensaeb Canal, Chao Phraya shuttle boats, and dinner river cruise boats will be exempted from the compulsory life jacket wearing rule.'

Why?

Cant eat with a lifejacket on.

True, less likely to drown though.

in the workforce for offshore personal, everyone on a vessel underway upon the water is required to wear/owns their own or is furnished a certified approved life jacket..

its hard to stay afloat wearing work clothing, including steel toes footwear if you slip and fall overboard. lifejackets for all personnel has been a standard requirement for at least 35_+ years in the world wheree employee welfare/safety is of concern.

a disoriented person does not have the capacity/strength to cling to a wooden deck chair, box, etc children, frail/olderl individuals, disabled, etc use these facilities. are their lives/safety not worth considersation?

Yes but your not required to wear a life jacket inside the vessel, only while on/working on the open back deck, you know well know yourself on say a crewboat for example you dont wear a life jacket while sitting in the enclosed passenger cabin while the vessel is underway

the question here is not to do with the supply of life jackets, but more to do whether its a sensible thing to force people to wear a life jacket while sitting in an an enclosed passenger cabin.

This is a no brainer...should be mandatory for all boating passengers...not just tourists...will certainly save lives over time...

or kill people if they are sitting in an enclosed cabin and cant get out if the vessel goes over because of the buoyance in the jacket .. wink.png

although the sentiment of what they trying to do is correct, they also think things through as well and applying a little common sense...

A dangerous and silly idea. Modern lifejackets inflate on contact with water. Passengers inside a boat will be unable to escape and will drown, aside from being uncomfortable the entire trip. Air transport prohibits wearing lifejackets during normal flights for this very reason

As far as I am aware, there is no life vest that inflates on contact with water. Inflatable vests are normally inflated by CO2 cartridges. They are very expensive and I have never seen one in Thailand.

I do agree that wearing a bulky vest inside a vessel may well lead to more deaths as people will have difficulty exiting.

• Like 1

BS. I worked at sea for 30 years and no one wears a life vest unless working over the side or where there is a falling hazard or attending boat drills. Why don't you google IMO regulations.

• Like 1

A dangerous and silly idea. Modern lifejackets inflate on contact with water. Passengers inside a boat will be unable to escape and will drown, aside from being uncomfortable the entire trip. Air transport prohibits wearing lifejackets during normal flights for this very reason.

You are probably correct re MODERN lifejackets. But who said that the river and sea transport companies would be investing in modern jackets. Most likely they will buy up a job lot of many thousands of 30/40 year old jackets!

Agree. Most life jackets here are made of nylon (or something similar) and stuffed with polysyrene foam pads.
You could probably find them next to the motorcycle helmets at the local roadside vendor.

Same in Victoria Australia, anyone who is in an open area of a vessel when it is underway, a person breaking this law will be fined along with the captain and the vessel owner. A number of other specific laws and requirements also for certain area, times and conditions. A good move by Thailand and catching up with the world.
  • Like 1

BS. I worked at sea for 30 years and no one wears a life vest unless working over the side or where there is a falling hazard or attending boat drills. Why don't you google IMO regulations.

while on the back deck of vessel the these days you are required to wear at least a work vest, granted its not a "full life jacket" in the classic sense, but its still a PFD, so it not just for working over the side or drills

A dangerous and silly idea. Modern lifejackets inflate on contact with water. Passengers inside a boat will be unable to escape and will drown, aside from being uncomfortable the entire trip. Air transport prohibits wearing lifejackets during normal flights for this very reason

As far as I am aware, there is no life vest that inflates on contact with water. Inflatable vests are normally inflated by CO2 cartridges. They are very expensive and I have never seen one in Thailand.

I do agree that wearing a bulky vest inside a vessel may well lead to more deaths as people will have difficulty exiting.

C02 inflated life vests are availible in Thailand, just because you have never seen them doesnt mean they are not availible, they are, are they more expensive than the "foam type" yes, but "very exepensive" is relative

were you cabin boy for your 30 year hitch offshore?. there are rules/regulations for most everything now days where as 30 years ago not much was enforced or made public. transfer from ship to platform, riding personnel basket from ship to platform were the most common place used but working on structure chipping/painting, vests were also required.

the outlaw, fly by night ships did not follow rules/regs, thus their employees did not either. of courrse i waws working for reputable international service companies who in turn worked for international oil/drilling companies and managed by professsionals who had responsiblity for safe operations,

were you cabin boy for your 30 year hitch offshore?. there are rules/regulations for most everything now days where as 30 years ago not much was enforced or made public. transfer from ship to platform, riding personnel basket from ship to platform were the most common place used but working on structure chipping/painting, vests were also required.

the outlaw, fly by night ships did not follow rules/regs, thus their employees did not either. of courrse i waws working for reputable international service companies who in turn worked for international oil/drilling companies and managed by professsionals who had responsiblity for safe operations,

hold on a minute, seems your talking about work vests, work vests are not life jackets by definition, different animal.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Same in Victoria Australia, anyone who is in an open area of a vessel when it is underway, a person breaking this law will be fined along with the captain and the vessel owner. A number of other specific laws and requirements also for certain area, times and conditions. A good move by Thailand and catching up with the world.

may be as you say in Victoria, In Europe as well as in The US I have not seen it yet. And why is that? Because these folks think about consequences of such laws.

And by the way it is not law yet and will never be.

How many lives would have been saved previously if this rule had been implemented before!!!! the general weekend tourist tripper is not drilled in donning a life jacket on occasions there is to little time to do so.

On the small ferries whats the problem of putting on a jacket just in case for a short duration. A recent trip to Koh learn the captain of the ferry insisted all passengers were wearing a jacket before setting off. Or do we adopt I am only going to Koh Larn a mile or two same as the car I dont need a seat belt I am just going down the road.

The most precious gift nature gives us life,, no charge its free to maintain it is the cost. Lets promote the thought of ''Safety by choice not by chance''

How many people who actually catch these ferries can swim !!!!!

I conduct incident accident investigations for a living the amount of times I hear well I was going to but decided not too!!!! I was only just!!!

The poster who mention the self inflating type they are only used for boat crew or people trained to operate them if they were to fail to inflate. all other times it isa PFD type ''personal flotation device''

I mentioned them.

They probably don't inflate, regardless of who is operating them. Have you seen them? I am aware that the crew would operate them. IF they worked.

BTW, I have never seen any "crew" aboard other than the bridge crew and the snack bar staff, so where would the "boat crew or people trained to operate them' appear from?