Bike Exhibition 30th April - 3rd May

Deserted

Just came back.

Many bikes, but only local dealer, mostly small one. No big brands. Lots of cheap clothes but lack of the quality things.

Still interesting but less than a single big shop has in Europe.

Thanks for the report, now I don't have to feel bad that I wasn't able to make it today.

Depends on what you need. A cheap bicycle shirt full of promotion....there were tons. If you need something from Look, Shimano, Campagniolo (spelling), a good backpack, drinks, etc than you didn't miss something because there were no offers.

A lot foldable bikes. Than I saw these look like mountainbikes but with huge tires. I saw some shoes but but didn't look at it. Maybe something interesting.

In my biases opinion it looks like a lot offers for people who want to buy flashy things to show their friends but for people who really want to bike.

And well of course plenty of 100-200K Baht bikes.

Saw a shop with Indians with imported clothes from Italy (very few items) from an famous Italian brand and I couldn't make my mind up, it somehow it looked copied.

Almost no Bib Shorts, almost no backpack....I went there with 20K in my pocket and bought nothing.

I think chainreaction, wiggle etc is the way to go.....(imported twice no tax)

Almost no Bib Shorts, almost no backpack....I went there with 20K in my pocket and bought nothing.

Clothing does to be something of a problem over here, especially if you're a tall and/or fat foreigner :-)

Import duty is always a bit hit and miss, but even if the occasional shipment does get taxed, overall you still end up ahead. One way you'll always get taxed without fail is if the company ships via DHL. So if you fancy something nice and flashy, like I did, and order some Rapha jerseys and bibs, be prepared for a nice bill when they arrive!

Looks like I'm not missing out by not having any money to visit anyway, based on your report.

I hear that the new Peppermint Bike Park is supposed to open this weekend, so I'm going to dust off the MTB and go off to check that out instead :-D

Clothing does to be something of a problem over here, especially if you're a tall and/or fat foreigner :-)

Import duty is always a bit hit and miss, but even if the occasional shipment does get taxed, overall you still end up ahead. One way you'll always get taxed without fail is if the company ships via DHL. So if you fancy something nice and flashy, like I did, and order some Rapha jerseys and bibs, be prepared for a nice bill when they arrive!

Looks like I'm not missing out by not having any money to visit anyway, based on your report.

I hear that the new Peppermint Bike Park is supposed to open this weekend, so I'm going to dust off the MTB and go off to check that out instead :-D

Never ever use DHL, UPS and FedEx are also to avoid. Small shipment with regular post is normally OK and if tax than fair.

We have regular rubber seals with DHL (0 % import tax, 7% VAT), the customs tariff is stated EVERYWHERE. But no the use a different wrong one with 10%.

Bigger shipments we clear ourself but the usual 100-300 Euro shipments are all wrong by DHL.

I thought it was a pretty good event. A friend and I both touring cyclists spent the entire day there. Lots of bikes by Giant, Dahon, Rit touring bikes (designed in Thailand by a Thai touring cyclist), Surly, Bromton, and a number of othefs which I don't recall. Lots of cycling accessories, clothing to include bib shorts, helmets, shoes to include Keene and a number of other brands. Cycling sunglasses to include Oakley & Rudy Project. Gloves, lubricants, Park tools, Thule cycling equipment, etc etc etc. The biggest downside we observed was the small amount of cycling clothing in large farang sizes.

Unfortunately, Merida, Trek, and several other well known brands were not represented. Well known Pro Bike, World Bike etc were also missing.

Overall, I'm glad I went.

Than I saw these look like mountainbikes but with huge tires.

They are called fatbikes - apparently the latest rage in Thailand, although they were originally made for snow riding. I've seen fatbikes made by L.A. Bicycles under the "SPX" brand on the last bicycle exhibition in March. Had the chance to testride one; these tyres have limitless traction.

Cheers, CM-Expat

True. Seeing more and more fatbikes. And the prices are coming down as they hit the mass market.

Several on offer for as low as 15,000 baht, where there used to be very few on offer and all over 30,000 baht.

I figure they're meant for riding on soft sand beaches, but have yet to see one in the wild... I'd be interested in reading about anyone's actual experience with one on the beach.

Spent about an hour at the show yesterday. It was worth the trek, but not by a wide margin. If it were on the BTS or MRT, it would be a no-brainer. But the IMPACT is too long a slog to recommend it unconditionally. I wish they'd move it to BITEC or Queen Sirikit.

If anyone's interested, Taxi (by meter) to Asoke was 205 baht plus tolls. To get there, from BTS MoChit, all the taxi drivers were asking 300 (off meter) and negotiating down from there. Traffic on the tollways was light yesterday. Took an hour to get there by BTS/Taxi and half that time to get back to Asoke by taxi alone. Live and learn

Edited by impulse

I thought it was a pretty good event. A friend and I both touring cyclists spent the entire day there. Lots of bikes by Giant, Dahon, Rit touring bikes (designed in Thailand by a Thai touring cyclist), Surly, Bromton, and a number of othefs which I don't recall. Lots of cycling accessories, clothing to include bib shorts, helmets, shoes to include Keene and a number of other brands. Cycling sunglasses to include Oakley & Rudy Project. Gloves, lubricants, Park tools, Thule cycling equipment, etc etc etc. The biggest downside we observed was the small amount of cycling clothing in large farang sizes.

Unfortunately, Merida, Trek, and several other well known brands were not represented. Well known Pro Bike, World Bike etc were also missing.

Overall, I'm glad I went.

yes a lot for touring, a lot sunglasses, thule, gloves. But I have seen a total of 10 bib shorts :-( No useable backpacks. Nothing Shimano or Campo......

So yes for some things OK but also missing a lot things....

True. Seeing more and more fatbikes. And the prices are coming down as they hit the mass market.

Several on offer for as low as 15,000 baht, where there used to be very few on offer and all over 30,000 baht.

I figure they're meant for riding on soft sand beaches, but have yet to see one in the wild... I'd be interested in reading about anyone's actual experience with one on the beach.

Spent about an hour at the show yesterday. It was worth the trek, but not by a wide margin. If it were on the BTS or MRT, it would be a no-brainer. But the IMPACT is too long a slog to recommend it unconditionally. I wish they'd move it to BITEC or Queen Sirikit.

If anyone's interested, Taxi (by meter) to Asoke was 205 baht plus tolls. To get there, from BTS MoChit, all the taxi drivers were asking 300 (off meter) and negotiating down from there. Traffic on the tollways was light yesterday. Took an hour to get there by BTS/Taxi and half that time to get back to Asoke by taxi alone. Live and learn

I just imagine....with these tires the bike will be very slow, in the soft sand even with a lot power it will be slow.

Than the full sun on the beach and reflection and radiating heat from the sand below and high moisture air.......That must be interesting. Kind of combination of Sauna, Solarium and Cardio training.....

I just imagine....with these tires the bike will be very slow, in the soft sand even with a lot power it will be slow.

Than the full sun on the beach and reflection and radiating heat from the sand below and high moisture air.......That must be interesting. Kind of combination of Sauna, Solarium and Cardio training.....

There's always a trade-off between grip and rolling speed, although these fatbikes don't roll as sluggish as they look. I did some beach riding in Hua Hin and Pranburi last month. It was actually quite pleasant, because was a constant wind at the seashore. It felt a lot hotter further inland.

Cheers, CM-Expat

During the King's Birthday ride and race up Doi Suthep, I saw two riders on fat bikes. Obviously for show. They serve a purpose once you have about 7-10 other bikes. But riding up Doi Suthep on the road isn't one of them.

As for the show, it sounds just like the one in CM in December. Lots of expensive bikes but no Treks, Giants, Specialized, or Meridas. Plenty of t-shirts and bike jerseys. Several vendors with helmets and sunglasses. I was looking to buy both but a few had obvious Chinese fakes and it scared me off from buying anything.

Actually Giant was well represented along with a number of other manufacturers new to the Thai market. I'm told that the importers for Merida and Specialized are having a difficult time getting new bikes into Thailand. Both Oakley and Rudy Project sunglasses were represented. Keen shoes also had their own booth at the show. They also have a shop in Terminal 21 in BKK. Bike Zone and LA Bike wwere there however Pro Bike (Trek importer)was not supposedly due to some high level meeting in Singapore.

There's always a trade-off between grip and rolling speed, although these fatbikes don't roll as sluggish as they look. I did some beach riding in Hua Hin and Pranburi last month. It was actually quite pleasant, because was a constant wind at the seashore. It felt a lot hotter further inland.

Cheers, CM-Expat

interesting....will have to try it.....

During the King's Birthday ride and race up Doi Suthep, I saw two riders on fat bikes. Obviously for show. They serve a purpose once you have about 7-10 other bikes. But riding up Doi Suthep on the road isn't one of them.

I agree. I saw a fatbike going up Doi Suthep in December as well. More importantly, it was passing me uphill on these crazy 5" tyres while I was just thinking that my time to the temple wasn't so bad this time. Very demotivating. :D

Cheers, CM-Expat

I agree. I saw a fatbike going up Doi Suthep in December as well. More importantly, it was passing me uphill on these crazy 5" tyres while I was just thinking that my time to the temple wasn't so bad this time. Very demotivating. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

Don't get discouraged, CNXexpat, I suppose it was probably one of these: http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,3006,22840,detail.html ;-)

I agree. I saw a fatbike going up Doi Suthep in December as well. More importantly, it was passing me uphill on these crazy 5" tyres while I was just thinking that my time to the temple wasn't so bad this time. Very demotivating. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

Don't get discouraged, CNXexpat, I suppose it was probably one of these: http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,3006,22840,detail.html ;-)

My LA Ebike has a 250 watt, 36V motor. I love it. It gets around town great. But it's not going to beat anyone in a race. (And it didn't cost 4,499 Euro)

Still, great to see electrics becoming more mainstream, with more choices.

Cheers, CM-Expat

When young on a training ride with headwind, we saw a old farmerwoman on an old bicycle (these 3 gears in the hub).

She was almost as fast as we were. We were faster but not a lot, with top bicycles.

We asked her.....beside hard farm work, she goes every day (since ever) 40 km with the bicycle (alps) because she likes to go with the bicycle.

Still we were ashamed....

Cheers, CM-Expat

I have a fat bike but i have never ridden it on a beach. I know beach riding is popular with them and exploring the coastline but the first thing that i think of is loads of sand on the chains and sprockets crunching away as i cycle. Then the bike rusting away before my eyes! I would definately wash the bike afterwards but am i worrying too much?

I did have look on google maps at the coastline around Hua Hin , Pranburi and Prachuap as i was thinking that might be a nice little tour with as much of the riding done along the beach.

I have a fat bike but i have never ridden it on a beach. I know beach riding is popular with them and exploring the coastline but the first thing that i think of is loads of sand on the chains and sprockets crunching away as i cycle. Then the bike rusting away before my eyes! I would definately wash the bike afterwards but am i worrying too much?

I did have look on google maps at the coastline around Hua Hin , Pranburi and Prachuap as i was thinking that might be a nice little tour with as much of the riding done along the beach.

Yes, the material suffers at the beach, for example when riding through loose sand or tidal gullies. The drivetrain suffers especially. But it's replaceable. Best is to ride at low tide when there is a strip of firm wet sand near the shore line. I could ride it with regular 2.3" MTB knobby tyres.

Prachuap Khiri Khan is perfect for this kind of thing, as there are many long empty beaches. There is a steady wind blowing from the south during this season which means going north is twice as fast as going in the reverse direction.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Yes, the material suffers at the beach, for example when riding through loose sand or tidal gullies. The drivetrain suffers especially. But it's replaceable. Best is to ride at low tide when there is a strip of firm wet sand near the shore line. I could ride it with regular 2.3" MTB knobby tyres.

+1. Why have it if you're not going to use it to its fullest?

I would also do a thorough rinse after each beach outing (In fact, every so often anyway, given the humidity and salt air), spray the vulnerable bits down with WD40 after the rinse (not a good lubricant, but a great solvent- and WD stands for Water Displacing), and watch for wear in any one component (chain stretch especially) so it doesn't take out the $$$ chainwheels.

BTW, if you want to identify chain stretch, have a drill down through this website. It's an amazing site with a wealth of bicycling info and tips: I referred the the website so often that I actually felt a connection to the guy and mourned his death in 2008.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Edited by impulse

The bike does ride very well on sand. I have ridden through some sandy bamboo groves where the sand is soft and deep. The fat bike just rides over it and it doesnt appear to fly up into the drive train.

I may well go south with it as i do enjoy the Prachuap area. I am in Chiang Mai but after the hot season or later in the year might be a possibility. I will post on here and probably do a little video.