Steak medium rare coming usually as rare in Thailand

Jingthing

One bar/restaurant place at Imperial Beach, San Diego, had broken the code on how to cook a steak

Every Monday, they would have thawed out sirloin steaks...each presented on butcher paper.

You simply go in, pay 7 usd, pickup your steak and toss it on a large BBQ. All the seasonings were handy, as well. People would order beer and chat with each other at the indoor BBQ. Cooking times and tips were put on the wall.

It was very nice, going there and grilling them up just as you like them. There was also a salad bar, roll and french fries included in the price. Nobody complained how the steaks turned out, as there was no chef to blame.

There was another place in Waikiki that did the same, but you had many choices of meats and seafood.

I wonder if anybody thought of opening a similar operation? I would enjoy having a place like that in CM.

Agree. CM needs a place that has a large grill with only specialty cuts of beef (Both CMU and AU).

We had a place like this in the California town I once lived in. Open for 10 or so years. But then the health craze took over and it and all the other local steakhouses went the way of the donut shops.

I tried the small steakhouse in CM near CMU. It closed last month. Poor location and equally poor selection of cuts. I think I was really there to feed the mosquitoes.

CM_SteakHouse_RIP.png

Here you go:

attachicon.gifdoneness_chart2.jpg

These pictures are very close to what I think too.

Again, ordering medium rare I usually get either rare or sometimes even "blue rare" which I never heard of before, but there it is.

Med Rare 130 degrees F. E coli killed at 160 degrees F or Well done.

I'm not an expert but I seem to remember those numbers.

Also it depends on how long you hold the meat at those temperatures. A roast held at MR for a long period of time would be safe where as a steak only getting to that temperatures would not.

I don't see much difference from a safety point of view between rare and Med Rare. Of course I eat beef carpaccio which is raw so I guess I don't count.

Edited by lostoday

Try reversing the words ask for Rare Medium, I learned this trick years ago, I think it turns on a switch somewhere in the Thai brain that you want it medium but rare. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-WpuUk8n

Interesting idea.

But to me that sounds like you changed your mind.

Rare.

No, changed my mind.

MEDIUM.

Maybe that's how the waiters are heading Medium Rare.

Medium.

No, changed my mind.

Rare.

I think TR69 is on to something!!

where Thai and English grammar has the appearance of being in reverse with each other

a bit like for example:

Missus's feet get very cold, as do all other cold-blooded thais, in winter.

I will be tasked with refilling the: bottle water hot, with water hot

• Like 1