Farang man wins praises for collecting litter

Thaivisa News

I have been to provinces like Prachuap Khiri Khan where the local people and the government really have alot of pride and take care of their land, beaches, water, and mountains. Have also been to Samui where there is an extraordinary lack of pride in the local area. Thais will eventually figure out the merits of keeping the land clean. It took a 20 year litterbug campaign in the US with massive fines to get people to care.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solution may be resident in a very old joke.

A guy walks up to a hooker and asks "How much"

She says, "I will do everything for $50"

Everything?

"Everything and anything baby"

Good. Paint my house. (Clean my beach)

But serously, you folks who live near the beach could get a lot of press by hiring local kids to clean the beach, then getting in the paper. (Making jobs ... not taking jobs) I figure you could clean a lot of beach for 3,000 THB ! (10 hard working kids at 300 per day)

The message would be clear, "You promote this country as a paradise with beautiful beaches, and we have to clean them ourselves. No worries...Oh wait? You lose FACE if we do that .. pardon us while we stand aside and let you do it then !!!"

"Jakkrit Chainok said Thais have been raised this way so no one should be blamed."

Excuse me Jakkrit !

The people who have raised Thais this way are to blame and should be ashamed!

Yes, Thais are responsible for how Thais are raised.

​Thai students are taught about proper trash disposal and recycling in school.

They do a pretty good job of it, at school.

but , as soon as they leave they school property, they follow the example set by their parents and drop everything on the ground.

They do know better.

The only excuse is that they are lazy..and that is a very poor excuse.

It is said that environment is stronger than will power. But it is also about pride and self respect and respect for the land and the environment. Thais need to stand up to their parents when they see an injustice committed. Mom, Dad you are wrong to foul the land. Show some respect to your country please.

I sincerely hope no one makes a post mocking the no work permit situation because it's real and no matter the good intent can result in problems for the person(s) involved.

A work permit is needed for anything that can be classed as work and all it takes is one person to complain for a reason best know to them but if a foreigner is involved ... ! I'm not saying the authorities in the area concerned would be heavy handed depending on the circumstances but i am suggesting it's not a chance worth taking.

Sad it can come down to this.

Yeah one reason why many don't lift a finger in fear of being arrested and deported. I remember it was the same at the time of the Tsunami when many foreigners came over to do their bit, but the authorities took a heavy hand on the situation, and arrested many. They see foreigners as an interferance, ones which could take jobs away from Thais by their meer presence. So if your mowing your lawn, painting, doing whatever around the house in public view, or even picking up liter on a beach, you could expect a visit from immigration. Work is work, even if you don't get paid ! Thailand is for Thai people, not foreigners.

You guys seem to know your stuff, so to clarify...if I decide to paint a wall of my house or cut the grass I will first have to apply for a work permit or risk arrest, prosecution etc! if I drop a friend off somewhere am I also illegally operating as a taxi.

This cannot be for real......................truly ludicrous!

So what documentation would I need to take to the labour office and immigration to get the work permit to cut my lawn? paint my house? etc etc and who would be the employer how do I apply?

Or would just getting on with life and ignoring such pedantic interpretation of employment laws be the more sensible option.

All i can say from personal experience has nothing to do with gardening, painting a house etc.

Many years ago while teaching at a rural uni a collegaue, from the US, arranged for some of his students to do local volunteer work but he was well warned by the uni not to take part personally as he would not be covered by his work permit for the uni. Volunteer work is work if someone decides to be official.

In more recent years i helped some local municipal officials with their English language module of a masters degree in Public Administration they were studying for and they thought it funny, giggle giggle, to point out that i was breaking the law and they were at least committing disciplinary offences since i didn't have a work permit or teacher's ; licence and the fact i was doing it free was not a consideration if someone complained.

I have never risked helping anyone since.

People laugh at what could be an absurd situation and mock anyone who points out the potential repercussions but it is the law and if officialdom decide to apply it !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Here is a message to tranlate into Thai and post near the numerous pictures of their excellant leaders:

Respect your King, Respect the Kingdom . Do not litter.

Great to see Thai Visa's "I love living here but I hate everything and everyone Thai" crew could turn a positive story into an opportunity to kick the country and people they purportedly love and wish to be a part of.

What, there's not enough negative stuff to fuel your bleary eyed hatred of Thai's, Thailand and dare I say it, Thainess already?

Pathetic, really pathetic.

I know this guy, his name is Peter and he is retired Royal Australian Navy. I guess that after 20 plus years of being forced to pick up rubbish now he cant stop. All you other ex-service guys know that if an officer or nco sees you standing around they always tell you to go clean up something!!

That's pretty much the procedure we had in school as a form of punishment (of course I was a perfect student so didn't have to do this, I just observed :) ).

I have said a few times when speaking to relatives back in UK how good the garbage collection is here (Udon city), in that the bins are shared by the street rather than per household, emptied daily rather than weekly, that you don't get a GBP200 fine for putting your bin out on the wrong day, that they're made out of old tyres, that people collect glass/plastic/metal/wood from them for profit which reduces land fill, and I've only been asked for the monthly fee of 20 baht twice in my entire time here... It's now wheelie bins at the end of the soi, which is a lot of footsteps if you don't have a honda wave, maybe 10 or even 20 steps if you klop klop in flip flops, so I'm wondering how to approach my neighbour to explain that throwing plastic bags of uneaten street food or plastic bags with a straw of some fructose slurry on the road in front of my place is not the same as walking all that way to the end of the street that is nearly 10 seconds away.

This thread also reminds me of a time in York at the horse racing, where beers were served in disposable cups. I was looking for a bin and my friend (whose job was Union supported) said "throw it on the ground". I protested, then he said "look, if you don't you're doing someone out of a job". That's nurture for ya.

i tell my girlfriend this

Q " who does thailand belong to?"

A "the King"

Q "who do you love number 1?"

A "my mum"

Q "who do you love number 2?"

A "the King".

Q " do you throw your litter and rubbish all over your mums land?"........

All of you who appear so surprised that Thais do not share the same ethic about public disposal of trash as Westerners ought to try to remember the facts.

Cleanliness and waste disposal in public areas is a relatively modern concept. Many Westerners also threw garbage out the windows of their cars and littered their public areas as little as one or two generations ago. Even the civilized Londoners used to throw their chamber pots out their windows and into the streets. Cleanliness is a learned concept.

"Relatively modern concept" As are smartphones, tablets, cars and any other forms of modernism that Thais have adopted.

I guess adopting modern ethics is a step too far...

Bangkok may have it's problems but the streets are normally clean and the trash picked up daily.

Bangkok is rather clean in the city center. But if taking a train into Bangkok and rattling through the vast outskirts, one gets a nauseating sight of a slummish city drowning in garbage.

"Jakkrit Chainok said Thais have been raised this way so no one should be blamed"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Depends where you have been and what you have seen, just my opinion of course.......blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

Thainess it isn't. I've seen worse. I have not travelled every ASEAN country lately, but lived in Indo for six months.

I saw far worse there and depending on the wind directions around Bali, I have been in the water there, when I thought I was wading through

seaweed. Plastic bags. Thick. Uungh.

It is definitely a problem and I clean up nearly every day in our village. Kids finish a soft drink or ice cream and throw it on the ground. If i see my daughter do it, Its "No treats or ice creams or anything else for 24 hours" the first time. 48 hours the 2nd. I have not seen her do it since.

How easy is it.

Just think the government could have inspectors raking in fines. Like they do in Oz.

I'm not sure what my family think of me doing it. I don't care, but over a number of years, their houses have all started to look cleaner. Slowly. its catching on.

My local beach (Mae Rhum Pheung, Rayong) had a beach clean the about 3 weeks ago. Around 100 army, 50 or so monks, and probably near to 200 volunteers walked the entire beach collecting all rubbish, and burying it into deep pits above the high tide mark (not the beast way to dispose of plastic, etc, IMHO, but at least it was buried with JCB's about 4-5 feet deep).

Next day, the new high tide had deposited a smattering of fresh rubbish, and within a few more it was as if it had never been cleaned at all (just in time for Songkran).

Many (but in no means all) of the beach restaurants (try to) keep their areas clean but it must be pretty disheartening needing to do the same clean-up day after day, especially when those next door don't bother and it all looks the same the next morning.

In some areas without beach restaurants there is no regular cleaning, and it is only a little worse, and the Thai picnicers don't really add much to the problem - but there are (usually) plenty of rubbish bins - as long as the soi dogs don't tip them over..(mind you, it's not pleasant being within 30 yards of the bin a day or two after they've been emptied).

Most of the rubbish seems to be washed up, fishing nets, light bulbs, and rope, with loads of full rubbish bags - so it seems to me that most of it is washed up from the sea. I have heard that Rayong & Map Ta Phut ports charge the arriving ships to dispose of their rubbish, so they just wait until they leave and then dump it overboard - how true this is I know not, but if so they should be heavily fined or Exoceted!

Whinge over - it's now the start of the baby jelly-fish season, with the sands at low tide totally covered in smelly slime, but no complaints (from me) about this, despite how unpleasant it is.

First time I visited Thailand we went out with friends in Bangkok and I buy bbq pork from street vendor. He put hot bbq meat sticks right from grill into plastic bag, it seemed somehow disgusting to me. Anyway I ate the meal and then realized there is not any trash bin where I can dispose the plastic bag in about 5 kms area we walked sois of Bkk.

Yes there are some containers for garbage on Pattaya's Beach Rd. now but it seems not many beach visitors know how to use them.

Yes, great job by him. But, being mostly western tourist we have been educated about trash disposal and re-cycling. How about larger trash bins for re-cycling or (dumpsters), be place in more areas.

Secondly, vendors who sell items that create waste chip in some Bhat and hire workers to police these areas better or like locally I see many of the poor and handicap are biggest heroes here as I watch them daily go through trash for items to provide $$ for their food and drink.

But, as in my country USA, sometimes when you break the law not only the fees by courts but they put your ass to work policing highways, parks, other areas picking up trash to help reduce their time. And businesses adapt areas or clubs, churches, schools etc.. and they make it a family outing on weekends to keep their neighborhoods clean. I said it before here, all those young and old Monks walking each day for handouts, well bend over and pick-up some trash and just perhaps if a respected Monk does it , just maybe the locals will feel some shame and learn to respect their land, in fact in temples it should be taught as they believe so much in Buddhism. Funny, years ago (30) went I came her I step on a cock-roach I thought they put me in jail, now I watch them leave 7-11's throwing wrappers on to the street even when ever 7-11 has a trash bin outside the door.

Thailand has many people in jails and prison for minor violations so, get their ass to work and just maybe some will learn to show that mystery Thai goodness we hear about but hardly see. Bright orange suits like home. In fact, they should be brought to schools to explain and show students the error of their ways and how a simple thing like not littering the beaches, countryside, villages water supply ( market vendors dumping waste in city drains) , is causing environment damage to their own country and health risk to themselves and others.

I was a teacher here in a H.S. and most of the classrooms look like slums from Nigeria or someplace. The students would bring snacks into the classroom and as I stood there teaching they throw the waste onto the floor or stick it in the desk area. I've stopped my class many times during teaching and made them clean the room before I start again. After that the students who would do this remained standing the rest of the period. And if caught by me the second time for a week during class they stood-up in the back of the room during the period.

They would complain to the Thai teachers and my reply was I will not teach in a pigs home. Its bad enough with no working fans or A/C, poorly lite rooms, desk from hell, writing on the walls etc...

They are not taught at home and when you try to teach at school human social skills besides subjects the Thai management does not support you. It was OK to hit a student about homework, but God forbid make them pick-up their trash is corporal punishment. Try this in Washington State and some jerk with a smart phone sends your picture to the transportation office, you'll question that $500-1000 littering fine where did that come from. Throw a cig butt out the window and someone tags your license plate, move.

Many Facebook users commented on the post that Thais should be ashamed of themselves for littering so much garbage on the beach

Are Thais actually the biggest occupants of Pattaya beach? Most younger foreigners are also schweines.

“It’s very embarrassing that Thais made the country dirty and a farang tried to clean it,” Nunok Indy commented.
Jakkrit Chainok said Thais have been raised this way so no one should be blamed. He added that Farang has been taught the otherwise.
Thainess vs Western ways.

Well quoted.

And as you pointed out we in the West are always cleaning our beaches. I bet your out doing it at the moment.

Funny how the Thais seem to not mind the garbage.

I guess they think it is someone else's problem as you see loads of garbage thrown away just about anywhere and near everywhere.

I think the mentality is based on seeing garbage on the ground and thinking, because there already is garbage on the ground then they are not the only ones throwing their garbage on the ground ...so no concern throwing more garbage on the ground.

Some places you see garbage that has been there for probably a decade or more while people just keep on throwing more on top of more.

I think the problem can be somewhat resolved by way of a sense of personal responsibility practiced by more people where they actually look for a place to discard their personal garbage rather than just dropping it near anywhere that is convenient.... at the time.

It would help if the local administration has lots of obviously placed trash bins and some signs ( big signs ) asking people to do their part and try to find a garbage container rather than just throw it on the ground.

Cheers

How are you going to get 65 million plus inhabitants to "practice personal responsibility"? whistling.gif

They cannot practice the PM's "7 virtues to reduce the road toll" during Songkran!

australia was the same 50 years ago, we just threw rubbish around thinking it looked nice. probably because the population was only half as big and we couldnt afford to throw any stuff around anyway. It made us feel rich and powerful,--- like wow! some one has been here having a good time.

I guess the culture is still catching up here. Problem is every one who has the info knows that the oceans are choking on plastic. Its killing the ocean life and harmful for the huge plague of humans that eat it. (that bit wont hurt)

All of you who appear so surprised that Thais do not share the same ethic about public disposal of trash as Westerners ought to try to remember the facts.

Cleanliness and waste disposal in public areas is a relatively modern concept. Many Westerners also threw garbage out the windows of their cars and littered their public areas as little as one or two generations ago. Even the civilized Londoners used to throw their chamber pots out their windows and into the streets. Cleanliness is a learned concept.

"Relatively modern concept" As are smartphones, tablets, cars and any other forms of modernism that Thais have adopted.

I guess adopting modern ethics is a step too far...

Hmmm, let's see. Would I rather have a status symbol which can let me take selfies and stay in touch with my girlfriend; or do a menial job like picking up my own garbage and cleaning up sewerage?

australia was the same 50 years ago ...

50 years ago ... things were not packed like today, people would not buy everything in plastic bags ... and in Thailand things were in banana leaves or bamboo crates, there was NO plastic. The problem of packaging EVERYTHING in plastic bag is NOW, it was not there 50 years ago.

I am not from Australia, but from Europe. In my country, 20 years ago shops were not allowed anymore to give away plastic bags for shopping, only paper bags, and they were for sale. That alone changed a lot.

If I go shopping here in Thailand, I take my own shopping bag to not receive things in plastic. And I explain the cashiers the reason of it (Thailand and the sea drowning in plastic). They are now used to me, but I guess they find I am just one more crazy falang in the country.

Meanwhile, foreign visitors to Pattaya vote with their feet. The condo market in fun city, well, or call it the city of vice, better?, is DOWN, and I am sure, this not only for the low Russian ruble:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Half-of-condo-units-in-Chon-Buri-launched-in-early-30258109.html

I am one of the farangs picking up garbage here in Jomtien beach .

You will find me early mornings with plastic bags and I try to clean up for 2-3 hours if it's not too hot. It's really good excercise for the whole body so I recommend everyone to try it. And maybe it will be inspiration for a few Thais that understand the beaches needs to be looked after and foreigners are expecting to find a clean beach when they go on holidays.