Safety Deposit Box?

Cheesekraft

They are no longer available. We went through this in December. We went to perhaps 25 different banks. I posted about it as follows:

Thai Panich Main Branch. Their response was yes they have them but to get one there are 3 options: a) deposit 3 million THB for a year and get a small box for free; deposit 550,000 THB for 2 years (I think), buy a life insurance policy from them and get one for 300 THB per year; c) make a one-time, non-refundable payment of 10,000 THB, buy a life insurance policy and pay 1,000 THB per year.

Thanachart - "mai mee"

Sri Ayudhya - they have them but are full now. No conditions as far as they knew then... When I asked if there was a queue they said no. "Must come often to check, but not have often". What an inefficient system! When I asked about rental prices, nobody knew. We followed up later and at another branch and the manager said "must buy life insurance policy first".

Kasikorn - have them but must deposit 3-5 million THB for a year. I forget how much the rent was.

BBL - also must deposit a substantial amount of cash and buy life insurance.

Krung Thai - "yes but for Thai people only." O.K. fine, I called the g/f and asked her to try. Their requirement was to deposit 30,000 THB for as long as she has the box. The money goes in their general account for their use. 2500 for the keys. Both the 30K and 2.5K fully refundable when box is surrendered. Furthermore, she would have to purchase a life insurance policy to get the box. There was a non-refundable charge of about 1200 THB for something - I forget what. 1,000 THB per year. 6K THB to start.

500 Baht per year boxes without a substantial relationship are a thing of the past.

We bought a very nice safe for less than the 6K THB Krung Thai wanted.

Edited by elektrified

A bank manager told me that the laws in Thailand governing how the bank can reclaim abandoned safety deposit boxes are very much in favor of the depositors which is why the banks are reluctant to rent them to people who are likely to be transient.

It's generally an unprofitable service for banks in any countries as customers dont want to pay what it costs for secure storage and for access.

Some lawyers offer the service in other countries I believe, but whether they do here I have no idea-or whether you would trust them!

A decent home safe seems a good alternative

• Like 2

I was told 2500 THB per year at SCB Suthep. A 53 KG safe was 4800 THB. Even with the bank box, you still need a good place for your passport and bankbooks.....not worrying about running them through the washing machine is a nice benefit.

I got mine few years ago persistence wear down resistance had to keep going calling after a month got it nice big one each year goes up last time it was 1200 bht in the beginning was 500 bht I keep a separate account they take it out each year automatically

They are no longer available. We went through this in December. We went to perhaps 25 different banks. I posted about it as follows:

Thai Panich Main Branch. Their response was yes they have them but to get one there are 3 options: a) deposit 3 million THB for a year and get a small box for free; deposit 550,000 THB for 2 years (I think), buy a life insurance policy from them and get one for 300 THB per year; c) make a one-time, non-refundable payment of 10,000 THB, buy a life insurance policy and pay 1,000 THB per year.

Thanachart - "mai mee"

Sri Ayudhya - they have them but are full now. No conditions as far as they knew then... When I asked if there was a queue they said no. "Must come often to check, but not have often". What an inefficient system! When I asked about rental prices, nobody knew. We followed up later and at another branch and the manager said "must buy life insurance policy first".

Kasikorn - have them but must deposit 3-5 million THB for a year. I forget how much the rent was.

Krung Thai - "yes but for Thai people only." O.K. fine, I called the g/f and asked her to try. Their requirement was to deposit 30,000 THB for as long as she has the box. The money goes in their general account for their use. 2500 for the keys. Both the 30K and 2.5K fully refundable when box is surrendered. Furthermore, she would have to purchase a life insurance policy to get the box. There was a non-refundable charge of about 1200 THB for something - I forget what. 1,000 THB per year. 6K THB to start.

500 Baht per year boxes without a substantial relationship are a thing of the past.

Wife and I have had a safety box with BB for 8 years. 600 baht per year. No we are not giving it up.tongue.png

Thanachart - "mai mee"

Wife and I have had a safety box with BB for 8 years. 600 baht per year. No we are not giving it up.tongue.png

come on, I will give you 800 baht a year for it :)

Thanachart - "mai mee"

Not any more.

We have had a safety deposit box at the Bangkok Bank for over 25 years. If my memory serves me well, think the annual fee was 200 baht at the time, which I thought was expensive back in those days, than a few years later fee increased to 500 baht, than 600 baht and a couple of years ago, about 1200 baht.

We mostly keep our jewellery, a few important documents and a couple of watches old family heirlooms. One problem with keeping certain items in those boxes is that in the strong room where the boxes are held, there are no air-vents and no air con, so it become incredibly hot in there, but really no choice other than store the valuables at home, which is also not a good option.

These days it is much more difficult to hire a SDB with a bank and the same applies to post office boxes. So for those like me who already have them, don`t give them up, as they may not be possible to obtain in the future.

Thanachart - "mai mee"

Not any more.

We have had a safety deposit box at the Bangkok Bank for over 25 years. If my memory serves me well, think the annual fee was 200 baht at the time, which I thought was expensive back in those days, than a few years later fee increased to 500 baht, than 600 baht and a couple of years ago, about 1200 baht.

We mostly keep our jewellery, a few important documents and a couple of watches old family heirlooms. One problem with keeping certain items in those boxes is that in the strong room where the boxes are held, there are no air-vents and no air con, so it become incredibly hot in there, but really no choice other than store the valuables at home, which is also not a good option.

These days it is much more difficult to hire a SDB with a bank and the same applies to post office boxes. So for those like me who already have them, don`t give them up, as they may not be possible to obtain in the future.

You pay 1200 per year I pay 600 per year.tongue.png

I am paying something small (500b ??) per year for my Kasikorn one.. I asked back a few months ago when this last came up and they confirmed they did have some spare.. Thats the kasiron bank just inside the super highway on the San Kampeang 1006 Rd.

I asked in my branch (airport plaza) initially and they obviously its just a mall bank, didnt have one.. I asked them to find me one and low counter level staff said not possible, I got them to get me the manageress and explained I needed one and would be moving my accounts to another branch if they didnt manage to find one, luckily I had a few mil on there at the time. She got on the phone and 10 mins later all sweetness and light, of course one was available Sir..

I have to say Kasikorn have been a really efficient bank for me over the years, net banking, mobile apps, automated payment facilities, etc etc is all as good or better than the bulk of my western banking relationships. I know the security is a bit of a joke (I managed to empty my wifes account with only a tiny bit of thought) but they are easy to deal with.

Kasikorn has them, a few months ago they had multiple ones free.. You just need to present yourself as stable and long term enough, and with assets to justify it, in their mind.

My buddy has one in bangkok bank on Hang Dong RD if memory serves.

Thanachart - "mai mee"

Not any more.

You pay 1200 per year I pay 600 per year.tongue.png

Which branch?

I am with the Tapae Road branch.

BJ I owe you an apology. wai2.gif SWMBO informed me that it was increased to 1200 baht about 4 months back.w00t.gif BTW we are both at the same branch.crazy.gif

Glad you told me, because I was about to visit my bank and accuse the bustarrds of ripping me off.

If you make any withdrawals, please leave some money in kitty for me. Have a dependant wife and 4 sick buffalo to support.

• Like 2