'Tiger Temple' to keep its big cats for now

webfact

'Tiger Temple' to keep its big cats for now
By Todd Ruiz

tigertemple.rogerhoward.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Wildlife officials today walked back their threat to remove the animals from Kanchanaburi’s troubled “Tiger Temple,” saying instead they will travel there tomorrow to negotiate for them to remain.

With the Department of National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation seemingly on a collision course with the intransigent temple – a possibility hailed by its critics and wildlife organizations – the department said today it faces too much resistance to removing the revenue-generating wildlife from the temple and community.

“Officials are prepared to relocate the animals tomorrow, but if we do it without negotiation, there will definitely be conflict,” Nares Chomboon, Wildlife Breeding Department director, told Coconuts.

It’s a reversal from what department chief Nipon Chotibarn announced April 16, when they vowed to “take the wild animals back and relocate them to a suitable habitat” starting at 10am tomorrow.

“Tomorrow we will count how many animals there are and record [that the animals belong to officials]. If the temple can find someone to take responsibility of the animals [sign the document], then they can stay, or if the temple allows us to take them back, the department will promptly relocate them. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/23/tiger-temple-keep-its-big-cats-now

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-04-23

Hugely bad PR for the DNP - what a shambles!

Maybe they finally realised what a herculean task they had set themselves, or was this all just a game of call my bluff?

I guess what happens next, hinges on who is selected to be the "vet in charge".......... friend of DNP or friend of monks?

This may not be just money...there were practical considerations to take into account which I feel were not addressed at the inception of this scheme - the plan to move the tigers seemed to me to be rather unthought out.......i think it is sad that the issues surrounding the temple are to be ignored, possibly in favour of human interests and the authorities unpreparedness to act with a coherent long-term policy and plan.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 2

This may not be just money...there were practical considerations to take into account which I feel were not addressed at the inception of this scheme - the plan to move the tigers seemed to me to be rather unthought out.......i think it is sad that the issues surrounding the temple are to be ignored, possibly in favour of human interests and the authorities unpreparedness to act with a coherent long-term policy and plan.

Really? You honestly believe this is not about money?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Do you really believe this temple or any businessperson in the area has any regard for these animals other than just making a baht off of them?

Why not read some of my posts? I also do not take a simpleton's view of this as some may find it easier to do. I follow the story and don't jump to simplistic conclusions based on any prejudices either.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

Noting surprises me when money is involved in Thailand. Whether its murder sex drugs or corruption money will always sort things out. These monks should all be thrown in prison instead of business as usual disgusting .

The Dept talked tough " we're going to do this, that and the other " then backs off which isn't surprising.

Thai officialdom is very god at talking but when it comes to actually doing things, well that's a completely different story.

There a some very glib/ snide comments beginning to appear on this topic. It would seem these people actually know little about the temple or the issues surrounding it but seem to feel that by making these little aisides they are creating an impression that you do.

I have yo say it doesn't wash with me....they are just highlighting their profound ignorance of what has been going on there for the past 2 decades or so.

Even though the temple gets to keep the tigers we still don't know what compromises...if any.... have been reached or the role of the new vet.

It has also been indicated that the temple will no longer be able to charge visitors and will have to rely on donations.....IMO this might result in a sudden increase in visitors and an increased safety risk.

I have questioned the benefits and practicality of moving the animals right from the start and believe that any changes need to be made without first moving the animals.

Hopefully over the next few days details will emerge of any real changes to be made at the temple.

Let's hope that at least they will stop the senseless breeding of these animals and install a more scientific approach to management.

• Like 1

Oh Goodie!

I can sit with spaced out, drugged out big cats again if I so choose - I'll pass windgiggle.gifpfffft..

Here is yet another example of how people don't understand the real issues surrounding the temple.....they seem to obsess with the unproven allegations of drugging, which even if true are only a side issue compared to the breeding, containing and exhibiting of the tigers.

As yet we don't even know for sure that the place will continue to run as if nothing had happened.

Edited by cumgranosalum

to date no one has come up with a plausable way to handle the animals, who would oversee care, facilities for care/housing, etc.

another case of a premature statement as to handling with no solution offered by several people with no experience, knowledge, facilities, financial backing, etc to solve the problems that are being referred to by those involved on all sides. no game plans announced and it does not appear that anyone in authority have the sliest idea of how to approach/solve the tiger problem.

That's what happens when the Department of Hot Air in collaboration with the Bureau of Rescind and Forgetaboutit using the Office of Advanced and Meticulous Planning go about correcting a wrong: absolutely nothing. Good job, boys, well done...you confirmed everything that's confirmable about yourselves.

• Like 2

They can send in the army in front of tourists at beaches in Phuket but they are unable to deal with some corrupt monks with their only interest it is to make money from tourists.

It says a lot. The beach vendors that walk around the beaches have no money and work daily to survive. The monks at the Tiger Temple are very rich so they become untouchable and someone in the government is profiting from it as well.

At 600 baht admission fee there is plenty of money to put in the right pockets.

Its all about making money. monks are not animal keepers or is that now part of the job description ?

This aura about the sacrifices monks make disappeared a long time ago with me and I guess a growing number of people who have lived here for a while.

But for tourists they will continue to flock to this place to see the 'wonderful' work the monks are doing in preserving these magnificent animals.

And just how did 146 tigers just turn up at a temple and how many have been sold ?

I've posted on social media bout this farce I hope other do too

• Like 1