Poll: Wasted resource -- Expats retired in Thailand, volunteer work, and work permits

Jingthing

Retired expats and volunteer work in Thailand  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If a "volunteer visa/work permit" was ever introduced, it would be massively abused. People with no intention of doing volunteer work would come in droves. There would be company after company providing volunteer visa/work permits for a fee. It would be an unmanageable mess. True NGOs who would try to do it legally would find it an administrative nightmare and probably couldn't afford it.

Having said that, I know quite a few expats already doing volunteer work. They give their free time and genuinely want to help and continue to do so. The authorities will not be going after those folks.

" The authorities will not be going after those folks."

The problem is they can and if someone for whatever reason takes a dislike to you it could be used against you and lead to some very harsh penalties.

Possible...although I've never heard of a retired expat who was arrested or deported or fined for doing legitimate volunteer work.

You've got an interior minister who is shaking up somewhat the processes to have a modicum more common sense. He's just exempted a range of activities that don't require work permits.

Make a representation. People do all the time. Just make sure you have a solution.

You of course bring up something that bothers me also.

I'm still teaching with a work permit and don't know the issues of volunteering, but I can guess the hoops involved. When I think of back home (US) I think the same thing. Older folks and their incredible experience is not encouraged sufficiently. If I had a say Id be making it as flexible, inviting and acknowledged as I could.

Way better than a wai....

I have a Masters in English Composition & Creative Writing. In the past 7 years I have taught English to 1 lawyer, 3 police, 4 CMU students, 5 BK Bank employees, and a few others. All were taught in my home, and all were taught for free. That's the only way I will do it. I am happy to help, or teach, anyone who is serious about learning. I try to make it fun for them, and relevant to them.

But as far as going out and doing volunteer work, no thanks. Too many "regulations", and other b.s. to put up with.

Most people of retired age possess a wealth of skills. In Canada, we call this grey power. These skills could be so valuable to Thailand. Too bad that they can not be more readily accepted. Like another TVF member said, both the expat and Thailand would benefit.

• Like 1

I agree in principle, but I had to put a null vote as I didn't agree with any of your alternatives!

I think the issue could probably be much simpler,

"Expats living in Thailand on a retirement visa extension should be allowed to do voluntary work."

No need for work permits; the control is already there with the visa.

"Expats living in Thailand on a retirement visa extension should be allowed to do voluntary work."

problem is with that statement is that for the most part all work is "voluntary"

ergo using you statement someone who is over 50 could get a retirement visa and go an work in Thailand for pay, for this to work there would have to be a stipulation that there must no considerations payable to the individual, as the current system makes no such distinction.

Further this should not be on a visa basis, but an extension of stay basis only, in other words someone is already approved to live in Thailand on a yearly basis without a visa

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great question JT.

I did a null vote, because I'm not an expat. However, when I come to Thailand I teach English in a village school in Isaan which has never had an NES. The first time it was just a couple of days and last time it was a couple of weeks.

The Thai lady who is my friend is the school English teacher and I would never say "no." I have also really improved her skills via regular emails, and verbally when I'm there. She asks for the help.

BTW I'm not a real teacher, just an NES but I'm a heck of a lot better than nothing. At least I can pronounce the words which this Thai teacher can't. The students now mostly learn writing.

Cheers

Just like you when I am in the village I help the English teacher with grammar and general presentation, usually by re-writing the homework that he give to the students, I am not a teacher, but degree qualified. I do have a work permit just not for that area or discipline.

I also donate to the local schools, computers, and bursary's for the less well off children, also tried to help with construction of toilet block but corruption got in the way, puyai baan wanted to control the monies donated by me, head teacher and the village residents, my wife and the head refused so the work did not go ahead, but watch this space I don't give up easily.

• Like 2

@kerryd - #14

Your c) would be the way to go if the authorities want to test the waters. Organisations that could do with volunteer help can register - they would provide a list of services that volunteers could do, and name a person/s who would oversee the volunteer/s. For example, the abused kiddies outfit is just 10 minutes from my home. I would dearly love to help out there doing a bit of English teaching, odd jobs etc.

Another category that could be included - OAP, old aged pensioners. If my neighbour's fence is damaged and she doesn't have the money to fix it (and it's not too big a job), then I should be able to pop over with my tools and fix it without fear of being arrested.

PS: Kerry, don't worry about Thailand's unemployment situation. It's one of the lowest in the world. Not the same for the lazy-employment situation, though - :) :) :)

I just read the article in the OP regarding Ecuador. Funny but they seem to have some of the same experiences we have in Thailand. An excerpt:

"Almost all Cuencanos have seen the “ugly Americans.” There are not many of them but they leave a strong impression, unfortunately, once you have made their acquaintance. I have seen them throw fits in the bank and stores because the cashiers didn’t speak English. All my expat friends are embarrassed by them."

Sound familiar? I also noticed in the article that the author used the term "gringo" quite frequently. "Gringo" is the Latin American equivalent of the Thai term "farang." Isn't the OP a member of the brigade that is still offended by the term "farang?" JT, you're not offended by the term "gringo?"

• Like 1

From my experience with Thai NGO's, although mostly about 10 years ago, the reason that an established Thai NGO does not want to get involved with hiring non-Thais and work permits is that they have to make availably financial data that they do not have to divulge, or regularly divulge, if they only hire Thai employees.

• Like 1

I just read the article in the OP regarding Ecuador. Funny but they seem to have some of the same experiences we have in Thailand. An excerpt:

"Almost all Cuencanos have seen the “ugly Americans.” There are not many of them but they leave a strong impression, unfortunately, once you have made their acquaintance. I have seen them throw fits in the bank and stores because the cashiers didn’t speak English. All my expat friends are embarrassed by them."

Sound familiar? I also noticed in the article that the author used the term "gringo" quite frequently. "Gringo" is the Latin American equivalent of the Thai term "farang." Isn't the OP a member of the brigade that is still offended by the term "farang?" JT, you're not offended by the term "gringo?"

And, you are so polite and humble. The nastiest people on here are the American bashers who have no tact or manners at all. End of.

I'm an American, so I'm in fact, bashing myself. Besides, I was just quoting an article. If you've got a problem with that, take it up with the author.

• Like 1

Most people of retired age possess a wealth of skills. In Canada, we call this grey power. These skills could be so valuable to Thailand. Too bad that they can not be more readily accepted. Like another TVF member said, both the expat and Thailand would benefit.

"Most people of retired age possess a wealth of skills"

Most?? Transferable, applicable skills? Bit of an exaggeration.

I worked in Africa for a US based NGO for nearly 25 years. The thing that inspired the most dread in us all was not malaria, cobras or armed rebels from neighboring countries. It was the announcement that a group of volunteers were coming to "help out." It usually meant a disruption to the work everyone was doing and a few months effort to repair damaged community relations after they left.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Post removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

If a "volunteer visa/work permit" was ever introduced, it would be massively abused. People with no intention of doing volunteer work would come in droves. There would be company after company providing volunteer visa/work permits for a fee. It would be an unmanageable mess. True NGOs who would try to do it legally would find it an administrative nightmare and probably couldn't afford it.

Having said that, I know quite a few expats already doing volunteer work. They give their free time and genuinely want to help and continue to do so. The authorities will not be going after those folks.

It's not like that problem could not be easily solved - for example by restricting such permit to volunteer non-paid work (in any form) and making it uneligible for extensions of stay.

the easiest solution to this one in, is that a volunteers "WP" could be only issued against an existing extension of stay be it for retirement or married persons, there would be no "volunteer visa" and the condition of issue is that if any gets caught being paid for their "volunteering" they would lose both their "WP" and extension of stay.

Going the above route would ensure persons volunteering where already in Thailand for legitimate reasons

Absolutely right. The situation is easily remedied.

The whole system needs a revamp to give married and genuinely retired expats more freedom to live a normal life.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1