Driving A Motorcycle Legally

a269652

Acquiring a motorcycle is relatively easy, all it takses is a fool & some cash. :o However, driving it around BKK legally is something of a different matter. Just what bits of paper does one need (a European) in order to drive the ###### thing legally in BKK? I want to minimise the chances of lilly law pulling me over & fining me every hundred meters or so. :D Thanks.

Acquiring a motorcycle is relatively easy, all it takses is a fool & some cash. :D However, driving it around BKK legally is something of a different matter. Just what bits of paper does one need (a European) in order to drive the ###### thing legally in BKK? I want to minimise the chances of lilly law pulling me over & fining me every hundred meters or so. :D Thanks.

I would venture a guess: A motorcycle driving licence?

:o

I just did my driving licence and they asked me if I wanted motorcycle. I figured everyone including 8 year old farm boys is driving scooters and I don't need a licence right now, so I said no in order to not complicate the process. I do have a EU driving licence for motorbikes though (any class). I will get a licence if and when I get a proper bike - it's neccessary for insurance.

You could also use an international driving licence which includes motorbikes. Super easy to get in your home country.

I believe the Thai rate for not having a valid motorbike license is 200 baht. Have heard this from two Thais, so I would say its a common occurance. The girlfriend doesn't have one and she doesn't seem too bothered about getting one.

I agree with jdinasia's posts. Today was the first time, after 35,000 kilometers of driving around Thailand for over 3 years, that I was legal at a police check (they almost never stop me). I'm so proud to have motorcycle and car licenses, finally. And a big full face helmet from Italy, same brand name as the MotoGP champion from Italy. And two big stickers on my windscreen, tax and insurance all current. And a license plate on the rear, and all the bits and pieces on the moto work correctly.

I understand that if you have insurance but no license, you are not covered by the insurance.

I had a m/c license from my home country, and was sure to have that noted on my international license, as well. Two separate licenses here in Thailand. If you're going to the trouble to get one in Thailand and are licensed back home for both, I'd get both. You never know when you'll need it.

Of course, this doesn't apply to tourists. But non-tourists, probably it applies.

In summary then;

An international drivers licence.

Insurance. from where can this be obtained & at what approx. cost? 125cc bike.

I'm so proud to have motorcycle and car licenses, finally. And a big full face helmet from Italy, same brand name as the MotoGP champion from Italy. And two big stickers on my windscreen, tax and insurance all current.

'tax', what is tax, from where can it be obtained & at what approx. cost?

'two big stickers', are they a legal requirement & if so what are they & where can they be obtained & at what cost?

Thanks.

Keep in mind that if you have an international drivers license based on your auto drivers license from your country, most likely it will not be valid for motorcycles. It's easy enough to get Thai licenses for both auto and m/c...

In summary then;

An international drivers licence.

Insurance. from where can this be obtained & at what approx. cost? 125cc bike.

I'm so proud to have motorcycle and car licenses, finally. And a big full face helmet from Italy, same brand name as the MotoGP champion from Italy. And two big stickers on my windscreen, tax and insurance all current.

'tax', what is tax, from where can it be obtained & at what approx. cost?

'two big stickers', are they a legal requirement & if so what are they & where can they be obtained & at what cost?

Thanks.

The Tax sticker and insurance sticker can be obtained 1) when you buy the bike --- they will sell you the insurance right then and the 2 stickers...

2) when you renew annually at Khon Song Jangwat ____ (Bike was about 341 baht this year) There are other insurance companies that will give you more coverage out there too ... but you need these 2!

again for BKK ... if you can't read the signage <only in Thai> alongside the road and at intersections ... stay off the bike in town!.

<for example ---- at 'T' intersections when approaching in the left lane you may very well see red lights all the way across the intersection but there will often be a sign on the left lane <in Thai only> saying left lane doesn't have to stop. When you stop for the red light you may find yourself under someone's car/truck in a hurry!

One round sticker shows you have insurance, and the square sticker shows you paid the annual motor vehicle registration. Colors seem to change annually, to show if you're current. If you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford som tam for lunch. The metal plate on the back shows that there was once a green registration book filed down at the correct office, on which the tax should be renewed annually.

My partner has done it for me every year, and it only costs as much as a few tanks of fuel. But then, my tank holds 10 liters. :o

One round sticker shows you have insurance, and the square sticker shows you paid the annual motor vehicle registration. Colors seem to change annually, to show if you're current. If you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford som tam for lunch. The metal plate on the back shows that there was once a green registration book filed down at the correct office, on which the tax should be renewed annually.

My partner has done it for me every year, and it only costs as much as a few tanks of fuel. But then, my tank holds 10 liters. :o

Just got mine switched to Phuket tags .... I think insurance* was about 341 baht and the taxes were 315 (that included issuing a tabian/book) .... cheap cheap!

Insurance and Tax are easy to sort out. Any of the insurance broker branches can do both for you.

Your insurance is invalid of you arent on a THAI driving license though. This i just learned from the nice policeman who took 200 baht from me.

Also, if you are driving in the city, you are only allowed to drive in the left lane. Thats a favourite of the Bangkok police late in the month before pay day, as we all know, motorbikes are usually all over the place.

Your insurance is invalid of you arent on a THAI driving license though. This i just learned from the nice policeman who took 200 baht from me.

So a UK or EU drivers license isn't of any use, if you want to drive legally then. One must acquire a Thai license. Can this be done on production of a valid UK or EU license without having to do a test?

Also, if you are driving in the city, you are only allowed to drive in the left lane.

Is that a fact? Anyone care to verify?

Any other CITY rules you'd care to mention?

So a UK or EU drivers license isn't of any use, if you want to drive legally then. One must acquire a Thai license. Can this be done on production of a valid UK or EU license without having to do a test?

Maybe .... it will depend on the place ... but if you have an IDL and your home country DL and the non-imm visa you should not have to take a driving test anywhere!

Also, if you are driving in the city, you are only allowed to drive in the left lane.

Is that a fact? Anyone care to verify?

Any other CITY rules you'd care to mention?

Lots of rules ... many of which are situational (like when you can turn left on red ... and when the left lane MUST NOT STOP at a red light)and the rules are posted in Thai language only :o Rarely will you see an international sign explaining this!

I believe the Thai rate for not having a valid motorbike license is 200 baht.

I understand the fine for not wearing a crash hat is also 200 baht.

Rather than use a UK or EU drivers license, I've opted to apply for an International Driving Permit, which apparantly Thailand recognises. :D Although one wonders just what your average Thai cop makes of such documents given their relatively poor level of English language skills. :o

Edited by a269652