Thailand ranked 34th in world’s happiest country

Lite Beer

Thailand ranked 34th in world’s happiest country

4-24-2015-10-50-27-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been ranked the 34th happiest country in the world for 2012-2014, according to World Happiness Report 2015 released Thursday.

Switzerland came in top, followed by Iceland, Denmark, Norway and Canada.

Released by the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Solutions Network on Thursday, the study ranked 158 countries based on Gallup surveys from 2012 to 2015. A Gallup survey is a public opinion poll conducted in different countries.

The World Happiness Report 2015, a landmark survey of the state of global happiness, is the third annual report seeking to quantify happiness as a means of influencing government policy. The United Nations published the first study in 2012.

According to this latest report, Thailand joins Singapore (24th), Taiwan (38th), Japan (46th) and South Korea (47th) in the top 50 happiest countries in the world.

Thailand receives a score of 6.455 from 10.

Switzerland, the world’s most happiest country gets 7.587, Iceland 7.561, Denmark 7.527, Norway 7.522 and Canada 7.427.

The five countries at the bottom of the list are Rwanda (3.465), Benin (3.340), Syria (3.006), Burundi (2.906) and Togo (2.839).

Among ASEAN countries, Malaysia came the 61th place, Indonesia 74th, Vietnam 75th, Philippines 90th, Laos 99th, Myanmar 129th and Cambodia 145th.

The third report measures well-being in 158 countries around the world to help guide public policy.

The ranking is made up of factors such as gross domestic product per capita, social support, life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, freedom from corruption and generosity.

The first report was published in 2012, the second in 2013, and the third on April 23, 2015.

Leading experts across fields – economics, psychology, survey analysis, national statistics, health, public policy and more – describe how measurements of well-being can be used effectively to assess the progress of nations.

The reports review the state of happiness in the world today and show how the new science of happiness explains personal and national variations in happiness. They reflect a new worldwide demand for more attention to happiness as a criteria for government policy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranked-34th-worlds-happiest-country

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-25

Ah the Great White North, I guess it doesn't just apply to Canada. I had a look at the whole chart, Thailand is second in all of Asia which has only three countries in the to 70.

And apparently there isn't a happy person in all of Africa.

The happy countries are mainly of European origin.

Sorry I don't have a link. I googled and found a PDF, but it wouldn't let me save it.

• Like 2

what do they do take t6he survey while distributing free shots of whiskey with beer chaser. hard to get those items to africa due to transport problems. what about those countries who drink little alchol are they down the list of'' happy chappies?''

• Like 1

The ranking is made up of factors such as gross domestic product per capita, social support, life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, freedom from corruption and generosity.

I think they should include in the list of factors 'governmental attitude adjustment mechanisms'.

If I look at the list I get the feeling that happiness has to do with how much money you have.

My first thought, but how come Singapore comes out as number 24?

In general, surveys are often contradicting each other or just fully incorrect, and are getting too much publicity. Some results I remember: Ao Nang a well kept secret, one of the best beaches in the world. Cost of living in Italy barely higher than in Thailand.

Edited by keestha

I'm not surprised 'cause I think many of the participants in the survey here didn't understand the questions while the rest was on Meth and Yaba.

Btw was it a Thai general who came up with the quote: "Happiness is a warm gun"?

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

Sorry I don't have a link. I googled and found a PDF, but it wouldn't let me save it.

PDF easily found, you have to scroll down a lot before getting to the actual list. Some puzzling results, like Israel (number 11) being happier than Austria and Luxembourg.

Edited by keestha

Ah the Great White North, I guess it doesn't just apply to Canada. I had a look at the whole chart, Thailand is second in all of Asia which has only three countries in the to 70.

And apparently there isn't a happy person in all of Africa.

The happy countries are mainly of European origin.

http://81c27a5d9c3263e8ebcc-2da201d1ba4d5004cb235610c26ba057.r67.cf5.rackcdn.com/WHR15.pdf

it works for me smile.png so ?

• Like 1

I do agree that a lot of Western European countries are in the top 10, with Germany and France/Belgium way too low.

Most people in other parts of the world, including the US, have no idea how great it is to grow up in societies with low crime rates, clean environment, social securities, more freedom of expression and speech (no Patriot Act) etc. The Americans call it 'nanny states', I would like to call it happy societies.

I must admit that I lived in one of the top 10 countries on that list in the 70's/80's and 90's, so I can not really judge about the quality of life nowadays.

If I look at the list I get the feeling that happiness has to do with how much money you have.

My first thought, but how come Singapore comes out as number 24?

In general, surveys are often contradicting each other or just fully incorrect, and are getting too much publicity. Some results I remember: Ao Nang a well kept secret, one of the best beaches in the world. Cost of living in Italy barely higher than in Thailand.

Agreed, there is nothing whatsoever to qualify the beach at Ao Nang "one of the best beaches in the world". That must have been a "paid for" survey that you speak of.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Self report/ survey!!! lol One might argue it must be true b/c Thais' are noted for honesty... never lie - smile constantly..... must be true.

Lol, it's funny how some governments keep sponsoring these surveys that make no sense whatsoever. Just like the most beautiful women in the world bs survey.

Found this one the other day

post-193242-0-71994900-1429935285_thumb.

Gallup polls are very much rubbish. My Lassie get calls from Gallup and they got the list from Krungsri Bank where they mentioned that my wife makes around 150k on average per month.

I was surprised how much Gallup knew about my lady.

They ask people's with an above average monthly salary.