Adam Sandler movie sparks debate over American Indian images

Lite Beer

Yea, the actors may have been a little "touchy" about bad satire, if indeed it was satire. They were right to exercise their rights by walking out. One has to understand just a little how Indian people feel about what has been done to them to understand why the actors walked out. Without knowing the history of the Indian people one cannot understand the feeling of the actors. The land is worth more than money, much, much more, but perhaps some of our members can't understand that. I wish my old friend Russell Means were alive today to explain to some of you, then again I don't think you would want to listen. Without knowing the history of the Indian peoples one cannot understand the feeling of the actors. Yes, the Cheyenne who took the land from the Kiowa lost it to the Lakota. When the Battle of the Greasy Grass was fought it was combined tribes of Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapaho. For those that are interested in the history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_people. The US has broken every treaty with the Indian nations, even as late as Wounded Knee II in 1973. Medicine pipes, artifacts, sacred articles etc. were destroyed in spite of the treaty. Wallace Black Elk's belongings along with Crow Dog's were ransacked and their spiritual pipes etc. broken and or stolen, and the entire village bulldozed to get rid of the evidence of Indians standing up for their rights. Most weapons were never found because they were carried out overland by people knowing the feds would break the treaty as always. These things are very relevant to why the actors may have walked out. What may seem "off topic" to some, is very germane to this thread.

I have to admit some of the female names they used in the movie is pretty funny. "Beaver's breath?" Pretty low, but funny.

If I remember correctly, from books read long ago, Native American folks were not shy of using rather humorous and ribald names. Highly agglutinative languages allow for such creativity in naming.

[Correction] In providing examples of films with realistic and/or positive images of Native Americans I meant to refer to 'Dead Man' with Johnny Depp and not 'Dead Man Walking'. Apologies

Yea, the actors may have been a little "touchy" about bad satire, if indeed it was satire. They were right to exercise their rights by walking out. One has to understand just a little how Indian people feel about what has been done to them to understand why the actors walked out. Without knowing the history of the Indian people one cannot understand the feeling of the actors. The land is worth more than money, much, much more, but perhaps some of our members can't understand that. I wish my old friend Russell Means were alive today to explain to some of you, then again I don't think you would want to listen. Without knowing the history of the Indian peoples one cannot understand the feeling of the actors. Yes, the Cheyenne who took the land from the Kiowa lost it to the Lakota. When the Battle of the Greasy Grass was fought it was combined tribes of Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapaho. For those that are interested in the history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_people. The US has broken every treaty with the Indian nations, even as late as Wounded Knee II in 1973. Medicine pipes, artifacts, sacred articles etc. were destroyed in spite of the treaty. Wallace Black Elk's belongings along with Crow Dog's were ransacked and their spiritual pipes etc. broken and or stolen, and the entire village bulldozed to get rid of the evidence of Indians standing up for their rights. Most weapons were never found because they were carried out overland by people knowing the feds would break the treaty as always. These things are very relevant to why the actors may have walked out. What may seem "off topic" to some, is very germane to this thread.

some of our members can't understand that

That is obvious from what they say on here. To them it's only about the money.

then again I don't think you would want to listen

Sadly that would appear to be true.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

If it's just a dumb movie, why are you bad-mouthing the actors for quiting as is their right. If you think redskins isn't derogatory as indicated by your last, you better do some research, learn from Native Americans, not immigrants.

If it's just a dumb movie, why are you bad-mouthing the actors for quiting as is their right. If you think redskins isn't derogatory as indicated by your last, you better do some research, learn from Native Americans, not immigrants.

Your point has no logic.

It is a dumb movie.

The actors knew it was a dumb movie before they agreed to do it.

So they're just unreasonable quitters ... acting like big babies.

If they didn't want the jobs, don't take them in the first place.

Yes I'm aware Redskin is derogatory but I also think the Washington Redskins branding wasn't intended that way.

Is that relevant to this thread?

Perhaps not.

But probably more so than digging up old history in relation to some show boaters at the set of a notoriously dumb movie maker.

The topic is not about the long history of native Americans.

It's about what happened on the set of a dumb movie.

What happened on the movie set is exactly about the long history of Native Americans. Maybe the name of the Washington DC football team wasn't intended that way, then again ignorance is no excuse. Your refusal to see the actors' points leads one to believe you don't want to understand the problem. They said the script was not what they thought it would be even though they knew it was going to be another dumb Sandler movie. Their right, not acting like big babies. Had they had prior access to the script one would have to expect they would not have taken the job.

What happened on the movie set is exactly about the long history of Native Americans. Maybe the name of the Washington DC football team wasn't intended that way, then again ignorance is no excuse. Your refusal to see the actors' points leads one to believe you don't want to understand the problem. They said the script was not what they thought it would be even though they knew it was going to be another dumb Sandler movie. Their right, not acting like big babies. Had they had prior access to the script one would have to expect they would not have taken the job.

Sorry but they're pretty stupid then if they didn't realize the kind of movies Sandler makes. You're buying their story verbatim. Why? Do you know them personally? Yes I called them stupid. That, or liars. Because this smells of a stunt to me. They probably knew it beforehand that there would be offensive material, and planned this for publicity. That's their right of course ... so they're stupid or liars. Not insulting all native people. Just them specifically.

Sorry but they're pretty stupid then if they didn't realize the kind of movies Sandler makes. You're buying their story verbatim. Why? Do you know them personally? Yes I called them stupid. That, or liars. Because this smells of a stunt to me. They probably knew it beforehand that there would be offensive material, and planned this for publicity. That's their right of course ... so they're stupid or liars. Not insulting all native people. Just them specifically.

Perhaps they aren't stupid at all. Perhaps they knew how to get publicity by making a stupid movie and then walking off the set because they knew the media would broadcast it all over- got us discussing the situation, didn't it?

Perhaps they are really clever.

• Like 1

Perhaps they aren't stupid at all. Perhaps they knew how to get publicity by making a stupid movie and then walking off the set because they knew the media would broadcast it all over- got us discussing the situation, didn't it?

Perhaps they are really clever.

Perhaps. I said stupid OR liars. If they really didn't know they were walking into a movie with offensive lines, then they were stupid. I don't really believe they didn't know. They are acting like they didn't. I do NOT believe them.

• Like 1