Bruce Jenner: My brain is more female than male

Lite Beer

Bruce Jenner: My brain is more female than male
DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Former Olympic champion Bruce Jenner says that "for all intents and purposes, I am a woman."

Jenner spoke in a long-awaited interview televised Friday with ABC's Diane Sawyer about his gender identity, saying he has always been confused about it. Early in the interview, Jenner took out his ponytail to let his long hair flow behind him.

"My brain is more female than it is male," said Jenner, the 1976 Olympic decathlon champion who has been better known in recent years as part of television's omnipresent Kardashian family.

Jenner said he hopes that speaking publicly about the gender issues would do some good in the world and vigorously denied that the interview was some sort of publicity stunt to promote the Kardashian reality TV show.

"If the Kardashian show gave me a foothold to do some good, I'm all for that," Jenner said.

Jenner said he self-identifies as "her," not a specific name. But he told Sawyer he felt comfortable using the pronouns "he" and "him," a designation that is an important issue for many in the transgender community.

As a young boy, Jenner felt an urge to try on his mother's and sister's dresses.

"I didn't know why I was doing it," he said. "It just made me feel good."

Jenner said he told his first two wives about the gender confusion, and it was a factor in the breakup of his second marriage. During the 1980s, he began taking hormones, had surgery to make his nose smaller and was having hair removed from his face and chest.

Jenner said he has never been sexually attracted to men, and he wanted to make clear to viewers that gender identity and sexuality were separate things.

"I am not gay," Jenner said. "I am, as far as I know, heterosexual. I've always been with a woman, raising kids."

Jenner said he's gone back to say he was sorry to people in his life hurt by the gender identity issues.

"I've apologized to everybody," Jenner said. "I've apologized my whole life."

He fought back tears and reached for a tissue before the interview even began. Jenner said it was hard to talk about gender issues because of concerns about disappointing people.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-25

Why is the world is so fascinated with those kind of people beat the hell out of me,

here you have a person who want to change his gender, something very common

now days, and the whole world seems to be so captivated by it...

• Like 1

Well, good if he is helping people with this kind of confusion. In athletics the gender uncertainty is usually the other way: women who appear to have male characteristics...but maybe that era is over now.

• Like 1

Ok. let me get this straight.......... Jenner identifies as a woman, and feels that he was a woman all along. Fine. I get that. He or she is whatever his/her biological make up dictates. However, Jenner identifies as heterosexual and is not attracted to men but is attracted to women. This is where Jenner loses me. If Jenner is a female and heterosexual, then the attraction should be to men, not to women. If attracted to women, then Jenner is a lesbian because Jenner is a woman.

I would hazard a guess that Jenner requires additional counseling to sort out what Jenner is because Jenner is all over the place.

I have seen parts of that movie he was in with the Village People - the movie that spawned YMCA and the infamous horrific musical number "milkshake". Jenner can be whatever Jenner wants to be. I just hope he doesn't try to be an "actor" again.

Transgender people can be either straight or gay. Gender identity and sexual orientation are different.

It does get confusing, though and it might be interesting to hear how Jenner ends up after transitioning. The transgender lady that I know was absolutely straight as a man. Like Jenner, she was married with children and professed no sexual attraction to men. After transitioning, she has a boyfriend.

• Like 1

Ok. let me get this straight.......... Jenner identifies as a woman, and feels that he was a woman all along. Fine. I get that. He or she is whatever his/her biological make up dictates. However, Jenner identifies as heterosexual and is not attracted to men but is attracted to women. This is where Jenner loses me. If Jenner is a female and heterosexual, then the attraction should be to men, not to women. If attracted to women, then Jenner is a lesbian because Jenner is a woman.

I would hazard a guess that Jenner requires additional counseling to sort out what Jenner is because Jenner is all over the place.

I have seen parts of that movie he was in with the Village People - the movie that spawned YMCA and the infamous horrific musical number "milkshake". Jenner can be whatever Jenner wants to be. I just hope he doesn't try to be an "actor" again.

Transgender people can be either straight or gay. Gender identity and sexual orientation are different.

It does get confusing, though and it might be interesting to hear how Jenner ends up after transitioning. The transgender lady that I know was absolutely straight as a man. Like Jenner, she was married with children and professed no sexual attraction to men. After transitioning, she has a boyfriend.

There is a very vocal section of society who would have you believe that sexual attraction/orientation is not a choice but is genetic. This is not true, at least it is not true for everyone, as you transgender friend must know quite well.

There is a very vocal section of society who would have you believe that sexual attraction/orientation is not a choice but is genetic. This is not true, at least it is not true for everyone, as you transgender friend must know quite well.

I am not sure what all factors are in play, but I would suspect that some of the hormones being taken may play into this. I will check with her and see what her thoughts are the next time we get together.

• Like 2

I bet Abbot and Costello could explain all this. tongue.png

• Like 1

I'm a little bit shocked that the BBC reported this morning that "Jenner achieved fame through the TV programme Living With The Kardashians".

So an Olympic Gold doesn't mean much these days then.

blink.png

Such is life. I remember one of kids asking me if Paul McCartney had been in a band before Wings!

• Like 1

You know I don't get it at all People who are transgender like the opposite sex RIGHT. That is why they want to change to feel more comfortable in their own skin. I get that and I am very fine with that

But this sounds like total BS In actual fact he is just a cross dresser and nothing more . He says he likes woman not men.

So then why all the hoopla about a cross dresser. Let him wear dresses but that is not news He is a drag queen So big deal. I do not think this is biological it is social in nature. When go created us or we came as a result of natural selection it was not imposed on man to wear pants and woman dresses or man have short hair and woman long hair . This is just a social malfit Thats it

A waste of my time

The basic fact is that in the past people with gender identity issues as well as Gays and Lesbians had little choice but to hide this important, omnipresent part of their life. The inability of society to accept these issues has caused a lot of hurt many people.

Gays and lesbians do NOT have gender identity issues.

Get with the program -- gay/lesbian is about sexual ORIENTATION.

People who feel they are a different gender are dealing with something very different than that

You know I don't get it at all People who are transgender like the opposite sex RIGHT. That is why they want to change to feel more comfortable in their own skin. I get that and I am very fine with that

But this sounds like total BS In actual fact he is just a cross dresser and nothing more . He says he likes woman not men.

So then why all the hoopla about a cross dresser. Let him wear dresses but that is not news He is a drag queen So big deal. I do not think this is biological it is social in nature. When go created us or we came as a result of natural selection it was not imposed on man to wear pants and woman dresses or man have short hair and woman long hair . This is just a social malfit Thats it

A waste of my time

You are very confused.

Transgender people might be attracted to any other gender just like people without gender identity issues.

For example a male to female transgender person attracted to female gender -- that definitely happens.

Edited by Jingthing

Why is the world is so fascinated with those kind of people beat the hell out of me,

here you have a person who want to change his gender, something very common

now days, and the whole world seems to be so captivated by it...

It's a hot topic recently, that's for sure.

I don't know if I would call it very common as percentage of population in most countries.

Thailand seems to be different ... unusually high rates of people identifying as transgender persons who whatever reasons which may be mysterious.

From a physical POV, it is beneficial to start the transition earlier than later. A trend is to start even before puberty in very clear cases. Too late for Jenner!

Edited by Jingthing

Jenner can identify as a bag of turnips if Jenner wants, but humans come in two flavors; XX and XY. The names for them and expectations are a social construction, but that there are two combinations and that they are distinct is fundamental.

Edited by BudRight

There may be X and Y, but there are some people who have an extra chromosome. I don't think that is relevant to this thread, but it does point out that the possibility of more than two flavors is there.

There is also the issue of hormones, genetics and numerous other factors. We, along with a lot of other organisms, are a lot more complex than some would have us believe.

• Like 2

There may be X and Y, but there are some people who have an extra chromosome. I don't think that is relevant to this thread, but it does point out that the possibility of more than two flavors is there.

There is also the issue of hormones, genetics and numerous other factors. We, along with a lot of other organisms, are a lot more complex than some would have us believe.

There are people with extra chromsomes, but this is problematic.

Hormones are proteins templated from RNA, which is transcribed from DNA - a strand of which is called a chromosome.

Edited by BudRight

And if this person wasn't who he is, this would not be news. besides this person doesn't really know who he is!

"My brain is more female than it is male,"

"I am, as far as I know, heterosexual. I've always been with a woman, raising kids."

I suggest this is what it is all about

"If the Kardashian show gave me a foothold to do some good, I'm all for that," Jenner said.

What BS.

What he needs is psychiatrist.

It's discrimination to call for a psychiatrist just because you don't understand. Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1

And if this person wasn't who he is, this would not be news. besides this person doesn't really know who he is!

"My brain is more female than it is male,"

"I am, as far as I know, heterosexual. I've always been with a woman, raising kids."

I suggest this is what it is all about

What BS.

What he needs is psychiatrist.

It's discrimination to call for a psychiatrist just because you don't understand.

I understand BS when I smell it.

• Like 1