SURVEY: Why do Expats Relocate to Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Why Do Expats Relocate to Thailand?   

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my first visit in 2004 on a motorbike tour I knew I had found where I was looking for. If asked why I liked Los the order of my likes has change over the pasr 10 years.

One thing for sure as an ex widow cleaner in the uk ( VOGUE , vertical optical glazing unit enhancer ) getting up in the cold, washing windows with ice in the bucket etc, I still had 6 years to go 'till pension. Over here the folk were warmer as was the weather. Never looked back and will not go back. Oh one day I saw a girl trying to apply a squeegie to the windows at 7-eleven, in 10secs the job was done by me , she looked amazed, I legged it before a BIB asked for a work permit.

I am not a member of the grammar / typo police, but I could not help but notice

QUOTE an ex widow cleaner UNQUOTE.

OMG , solly big. I have never cleaned out any widows. My Thai wife has been having a go at cleaning me out ( financially that is )

I may never be an Ex Pat, but I do want to become a snowbird, enjoying Thailand in the cold

Winter months November to April. I do enjoy Canada during the May to October part of the

year. I just hope that I can afford to see Thailand every two years for the Winter, other wise I will be

even more grumpy in retirement.

StarGeezer

For me, in random order:

-Better weather

-Lower cost of living

-My friends and family live here

-I speak the language and know the culture

-I am treated with respect

-The BIB don't bully me

-There's an enormous choice of international cuisine

-Exotic, paradise getaways are below 2 hours of flight away

-Younger population

-People are less grumpy

-Better health care (I have a chronic medical condition)

-Getting away from a heart that was broken a long, long time ago in a place far, far, away.

Also,but not affecting me:

-Sex and sexual freedom. Straight, Bi, Gay, trans, or whatever you fancy

-Illegal activities that are tolerated, such as money laundering

-Settling down with Thai wives/husbands

I could go on and on if I had the time. But it essentially boils down to the fact that here the general attitude is

"Jai Yen, Yen." "Tam jai sabai sabai".

And therefore my friends, my tombstone shall read "Keine Zehn Pferde".

i-love-thailand-forever.png

In what other country a single old and fat retired man can live very well and safe with $500/month, and date a lot of younger beautiful women?....an even getting married with one later, improving living conditions, and spending the same money....or less...every month.

By the way.....living in a small new home by the lake in Phayao, and with a fish boat available. I have to do something when my wife is at work, or not?

Why is she out working when she should be home cleaning fish and scrubbing the deck?

Edited by chooka

I came to Thailand the first time at age 17 and fell in love with the place. It felt it was some sort of paradise from my POV. I decided to move here sooner or later. I moved to BKK when I was 29 years old and are planning to stay.

Edited by BKKBobby

This week we will look at what are the primary reasons that Expats relocate to Thailand.

To me it looks more as, we know expats relocated to Thailand because they had problems, this week we look at which problems.

All choices, except the first one however even that one is borderline, indicates that foreigners move here only because of one or another issue in their home country.

With reading only the first 10 posts, I could figure out already that the main reasons are not mentioned in the poll options, and actually I knew that already from myself.

The reason I moved here was primarily because of the 365 days sunshine,. however I admit that there are some other factors that helped with my decision.

By the way, if I had to decide today, knowing what I know today, I'm not sure I would make the same decision.

Edited by Anthony5

Maybe there should have been a 'Sex' option....that might have blown (excuse the pun) away all the other options LOL

It's not that some guys don't come here for the culture, but dudes, get real, whats the ratio of western men to women here in Thailand?

Edited by GinBoy2

Honestly, I've lived here from an early age, now nearly 45.

The real reason...because the dudes couldn't get it, keep it, or better it back in their home country.

You only have to check out the average Joe at CW immigration to understand.

Edited by Blackfox

This week we will look at what are the primary reasons that Expats relocate to Thailand.

To me it looks more as, we know expats relocated to Thailand because they had problems, this week we look at which problems.

All choices, except the first one however even that one is borderline, indicates that foreigners move here only because of one or another issue in their home country.

With reading only the first 10 posts, I could figure out already that the main reasons are not mentioned in the poll options, and actually I knew that already from myself.

The reason I moved here was primarily because of the 365 days sunshine,. however I admit that there are some other factors that helped with my decision.

By the way, if I had to decide today, knowing what I know today, I'm not sure I would make the same decision.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I liked your post, but "365 days sunshine" seems a little exaggerated....

Been here 11 years, have very good and beautiful Thai wife, expensive, though !!

Aside from the reduced cost of living I like the climate, for many years I worked for US Airlines in the East and North East, Ice and Snow every year, so Thailand never has either !!

My problem is the way they discriminate against retirees verses those with Work Permits, such as banking, cell phone accounts. I also do not like not being able to own land, they should allow, but restrict amount of land to say 50 Rai.

This stupid annual renewal of visa extensions is crazy, should have choice one year, three or five year. Just pay the same amount, but not go through the Que every year.

Edited by gchurch259

None of the above.

I had a very good life in Hong Kong, but I was head hunted to come and take on a good job here.

I'm still here because despite many many downsides, Bangkok is cheaper to live in than Hong Kong.