SURVEY: Why do Expats Relocate to Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Why Do Expats Relocate to Thailand?   

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please feel free to add a comment.

Poll created by TAT..?

for question 1 to be worth anything it needs to be split into 2 or 3 questions, as the people it refers to are different demographics and they have all been lumped together

I take the poll as it is posted.

I'm not the person who created it and am not in charge.

No one is forced to take the poll or to accept it as it is.

The reality for me is that the world does not revolve around me and my petty wishes.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of us from the mess of the UK agree that it's finished. I gave UK immigration thousands for my Thai wife's visas, over the years, only for her to be reduced to tears by Indians and Eastern Europeans every time she entered UK without me. I had built a very good business but didn't to spend any more of my life in that hole supporting the weightless economy. I would describe Great Britain, as a new fight everyday. Sure it's not perfect here in Thailand but we are both smiling and have a much improved standard of living. We are not on the run and have burned no bridges.....if UK ever looks like a better option we will return.....Can't see that ever happening though!

good luck everyone....

Warm, tropical weather as compared to 4 to 6 months of brutal cold; women who still respect men (especially men over 40); my CDN money goes much further; too many rules and regulations in my home country; my beautiful, loving Thai fiancé !

None of the above.

All of the above AND more . . . .

How about all the visitors that came here by chance and just wanted to stay? Or come back? Again and again and again.

For the women, the boys, the food, the interesting social order or disorder, the humour, the lack of " big brother " breathing down your neck

every time you get out of bed in the West, the acceptance of people the way they are, if not bothering anybody, the acceptance of sexuality

on a general social level, acceptance of homo sexuality. The weather, cheaper living, quality clothing at a cheap price . . and so on

And lots of smiles

smile.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.pngwai.gifwai2.gifrolleyes.gif

None of the above...

The weather - that's it!. Why polls have to suggest we are all running away from something is quite beyond me. If I had the money, and property, I would spend only the winters in Thailand as I happen to be fond of my own country.

However, practical decisions have to be taken.

None of the above applies to me ....moved to Thailand because my Thai wife did not want to live in the US.

"Happy Wife.....Happy Life" thumbsup.gif

same same moved here from burma, because i fell in love with a friend, now my wife. She in no way wants to leave Thailand. And to be honest i dont want her personality to be spoilt in my country , and luckily i like living here .

My first extended stays in Thailand were as a skilled volunteer (with US Government Certification) at a Thai Foundation Under Royal Patronage of HM The King. Then, the last stint, I decided that rather than traveling from USA to Thailand, I would rather just travel from Thailand to USA. 'Won't say that the move wasn't in part at the urging of a member of the Thai female contingent.

None of the above. I moved here at 23 because I could and because I was too young to know better. Now in my 60s I am still here and still too young to know better.

You have hit the nail on the head. Exactly my position, apart from the age bit. Came when I was just shy of 20 and been here ever since. Now 52.

My friends hated the idea of me moving here to live with my wife. When they visited me they understood. My new family is wonderful, the sense of community in my village (most people are related)is so good. My wife loved Australia but she could not leave her family. I love my wife so it was an easy choice. No regrets.

Many people come here for positive reasons, not for the negative ones which you have given as choices.

I agree. The poll seems to presume that you were desperate to leave your home country for some reason, rather than just keen to live somewhere new. I moved here because I like Thailand, not because I hated the UK.

and here was me thinking most expats came here mainly for the women.

Your last sentence, tell us why you like Thailand. I like the women, but I also had women

back in the UK.

After my first visit in 2004 on a motorbike tour I knew I had found where I was looking for. If asked why I liked Los the order of my likes has change over the pasr 10 years.

One thing for sure as an ex widow cleaner in the uk ( VOGUE , vertical optical glazing unit enhancer ) getting up in the cold, washing windows with ice in the bucket etc, I still had 6 years to go 'till pension. Over here the folk were warmer as was the weather. Never looked back and will not go back. Oh one day I saw a girl trying to apply a squeegie to the windows at 7-eleven, in 10secs the job was done by me , she looked amazed, I legged it before a BIB asked for a work permit.

Retired here in February after approximately 50 trips since 2002. However after seeing how overrun this country is with Chinese busses we are moving back in a few months to the USA. Jomtien used to be relatively quiet but now at times the traffic generated by these busses, the overloaded Thai infrastructure and the pollution generated is ridiculous.

Many people come here for positive reasons, not for the negative ones which you have given as choices.

I agree. The poll seems to presume that you were desperate to leave your home country for some reason, rather than just keen to live somewhere new. I moved here because I like Thailand, not because I hated the UK.

Your last sentence, tell us why you like Thailand. I like the women, but I also had women

back in the UK.

Not most of the expats I know. I guess we move in different circles.

I like Thailand because it's an awesome country. Why would anyone move to a country they didn't like?

back in the UK.

Not most of the expats I know. I guess we move in different circles.

I like Thailand because it's an awesome country. Why would anyone move to a country they didn't like?

I live in Thailand and I came to Thailand for the women. I stay in Thailand for the women. If all of the women left Thailand I would leave. I don't, however, think I am your average Thai Visa poster as I live in Thailand and am a happy fellow.

<snipped>

One thing for sure as an ex widow cleaner in the uk ( VOGUE , vertical optical glazing unit enhancer ) getting up in the cold, washing windows with ice in the bucket etc, I still had 6 years to go 'till pension. Over here the folk were warmer as was the weather. Never looked back and will not go back. Oh one day I saw a girl trying to apply a squeegie to the windows at 7-eleven, in 10secs the job was done by me , she looked amazed, I legged it before a BIB asked for a work permit.

(Emphasis mine)

I bet they didn't have any problems filling that position.

In what other country a single old and fat retired man can live very well and safe with $500/month, and date a lot of younger beautiful women?....an even getting married with one later, improving living conditions, and spending the same money....or less...every month.

By the way.....living in a small new home by the lake in Phayao, and with a fish boat available. I have to do something when my wife is at work, or not?

Edited by BKResort

When I moved to Thailand in '96, my friends and family back in USA thought I was weird.

But since then, with 9/11, economic meltdown of '08 and subsequent QE to infinity and the place becoming an Orwellian nightmare, they all look at me now as a visionary.

After my first visit in 2004 on a motorbike tour I knew I had found where I was looking for. If asked why I liked Los the order of my likes has change over the pasr 10 years.

I am not a member of the grammar / typo police, but I could not help but notice

QUOTE an ex widow cleaner UNQUOTE.

When I moved to Thailand in '96, my friends and family back in USA thought I was weird.

But since then, with 9/11, economic meltdown of '08 and subsequent QE to infinity and the place becoming an Orwellian nightmare, they all look at me now as a visionary.

Try to google "Orwell Thailand".

Next rephrase your post.....

Moved to Phuket in 2002 for health reasons - I had contracted Aspergillosis (fungal spores in the lungs) in the UK, after working in a damp, unheated, basement office. My doctor advised that a hot, humid climate would alleviate my symptoms and he was right :)

Unfortunately, the idea of living on a tropical island did not appeal to my UK wife, so we parted ways (amicably).

The climate and clean air in Phuket suit me very well. On each occasion that I have visited the UK, I have gone down with pneumonia/bronchitus etc.

So it looks like I am 'marooned' in Phuket biggrin.png

I came to Thailand when my Thai wife became very ill.

I was not pleased with how the western medical system was dealing with her illness and felt she would receive better treatment in Thailand...( She has)

At the time, I also felt that being close to her Thai family support system would be very beneficial to her recovery. ( It was )

Now that we have started a new life here, we are content and plan to stay.

*** I must admit, being fed up with the corrupt political system and the atrocities of the Cheney / Bush administration made my decision to leave the USA easier.