One Way Ticket To Thailand

I didn't know where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place!

I'm coming to Thailand end of the year, and will be there over a year so need to book a 1 way ticket! I called one agency and they asked if Thailand alow you to come into the country with just a one way ticket! I'm sure they do, but before I book can someone confirm this please? I'm from the UK btw.

Many thanks

Tiesto

You can go to Thailand on a one way ticket no problems. When you check in before departure to the LOS they will just ask you to prove that you have funds to buy a ticket out of Thailand.. All you do is show your credit card and they will be happy.. I do it all the time I fly!

You can go to Thailand on a one way ticket no problems. When you check in before departure to the LOS they will just ask you to prove that you have funds to buy a ticket out of Thailand.. All you do is show your credit card and they will be happy.. I do it all the time I fly!

Please don't spread such damaging information.

From what country are you flying?

With what visa, if any?

From the US at least, showing up with a one way ticket to Thailand and no visa or no ticket out, no seat on the plane, unless you get an incompetent ticket agent.

Please don't spread such damaging information.

From what country are you flying?

With what visa, if any?

From the US at least, showing up with a one way ticket to Thailand and no visa or no ticket out, no seat on the plane, unless you get an incompetent ticket agent.

Information is not damaging.. I have done this from Oz, Asia and Africa.. suspect US maybe an exception to the rule ..

Always travel with no visa... just the 30days on arrival...

It obviously can be done but depends on where from..

wrong info IS damaging ....

Many airlines will stop you from bording from many countries if you do not have either a Visa or an onward ticket.

Often you can even get around that at the last minute by buying a disposable onward tick to Singapore etc

If following the rules then in order to obtain a 30 day visa less entry as a tourist (often erroneously referred to as a 30 day visa on arrival) one should produce an onward or a return ticket out of Thailand.

However, it is very rare for a Thai IO to ask for this. If they did and you didn't have one then you could be refused entry. If this happened then the airline that carried you to Thailand would be subject to a substantial fine. So I can understand why an airline may refuse to carry you if you don't have a visa and an onward or return ticket.

Trt, you have obviously done this many times, and not had a problem. One day you may.

If following the rules then in order to obtain a 30 day visa less entry as a tourist (often erroneously referred to as a 30 day visa on arrival) one should produce an onward or a return ticket out of Thailand.

However, it is very rare for a Thai IO to ask for this. If they did and you didn't have one then you could be refused entry. If this happened then the airline that carried you to Thailand would be subject to a substantial fine. So I can understand why an airline may refuse to carry you if you don't have a visa and an onward or return ticket.

Trt, you have obviously done this many times, and not had a problem. One day you may.

You are right yes they have always asked me for my onward or return ticket.. however when I say no, which is often, they will ask me if I have enough funds to purchase one and I say yes.. I show them my credit card then I am on my way...

I don't really give a shiet if you don't believe me to be honest .. got more important things to worry about... :o

I don't really give a shiet if you don't believe me to be honest .. got more important things to worry about... :o
It's not that I don't believe you. I know many others who have done the same as you.

But a blanket statement that

You can go to Thailand on a one way ticket no problems.
is wrong, and could cause major problems for anyone who took it as gospel. If people are going to follow your example then they should be aware of risks.

It's not that I don't believe you. I know many others who have done the same as you.

But a blanket statement that

You can go to Thailand on a one way ticket no problems.
is wrong, and could cause major problems for anyone who took it as gospel. If people are going to follow your example then they should be aware of risks.

Well if you going to believe a blanket statement made on a web board with out checking with the relevant authorities yourself then you are sure going to have lots of fun in Thailand.......... :D

Sure it required further clarification... given..

Cheers for the info, I was going to get a year visa anyway as i've been in Thailand before on the 30 day waiver and doing visa runs once a month did my head in. I will check with my airline first to make sure its ok, its Qatar airways and will fly into Doha from Heathrow then onto Bangkok. I'm sure i'll be fine with this!

Thanks for all your replys

I came last Oct on a one-way ticket. I recall looking at the law at the time and it said to have a ticket or the funds to buy one. I was never asked. If your planning to stay here what is the point of throwing away money on a ticket you won't use.

I don't know why someone would want to buy a "one-way" ticket anyway ..

As far as I know they cost just as much as a "return" ticket!

Even if you don't use the return portion, it's always a good back-up in case

circumstances change and you need to get back home in a hurry.

I don't know why someone would want to buy a "one-way" ticket anyway ..

Even if you don't use the return portion, it's always a good back-up in case

circumstances change and you need to get back home in a hurry.

Just for fun I did a search

One way Paris>Bangkok 333 Euro

Return (one month later) 529 Euro

As I hope to get a visa this month valid for 1 year + it makes sense for

me to buy one way rather than pay nearly 200 Euro extra for a ticket

I will probably never use.

:o

Ticket pricing is a very complex issue. One might get cheap tickets in Thailand, under the condition that the person physically is there.

So one example, one-way to pick up a ticket from BKK let's say via Hong Kong to Europe and back. (HKG travel agents are not happy about this)

Others, one might come to Thailand, join a ship and go on a cruise or return by rail via China and Transsiberia.

R/T-tickets that are valid for one year are very expensive, so better to buy one-way each direction.

Guess, there are more reasons I did not think of, yet.

Just want to add my experiences, ...

I nearly always fly with Emirates from the uk and even with a 'B' class I have to have an onward ticket.

I have argued with them sooo much about this but always I have to book an onward flight....and then later cancel it.

When I flew in from Hong kong (cos i flew with virgin from london to KG) one time had no problems at all.

I think the best advice on this one would be to contact the airline.....and then again the day you fly to confirm.

Lots of fully refundable tickets available if you have probs.

x

FYI,

I am French citizen and I have been travelling to Thailand more than 100 times in the last 21 years with and without visas. I have never been asked any questions by the Thai Emigration in Dong Muang and have never been requested to show my airline ticket. However I had to argue with ground staff in France and Australia to be able to board the plane with a one way ticket.