Australia says Indonesia gave 72 hours notice of executions

webfact

That was that. It's 5 a.m. Wednesday morning now and I'm expecting the sun to rise soon; so the world in fact didn't end...contrary to what one could have expected from some of the comments here.

. I would of had a Great Day if you were in their place
Unfortunately for you, I'm not an international drug smuggler...just another ordinary guy getting on in life. If these chaps had done the same, instead of making foolish decisions to "strike it rich" the "easy" way, they too would have had long and happy lives. I guess it seemed like a good decision at the time. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

That was that. It's 5 a.m. Wednesday morning now and I'm expecting the sun to rise soon; so the world in fact didn't end...contrary to what one could have expected from some of the comments here.

Let's get our priorities sorted, shall we - Pacman vs Mayweather from around 10am Thai Channel 7 : that's something worthy of the hype. This has been dragged out for far too long by a series of inept bureaucrats who couldnt run a chook raffle.

I'd rather see Pacman vs Widodo.
  • Like 1

Let's get our priorities sorted, shall we - Pacman vs Mayweather from around 10am Thai Channel 7 : that's something worthy of the hype. This has been dragged out for far too long by a series of inept bureaucrats who couldnt run a chook raffle.

I believe it was the guilty defendants, with their continued judicial appeals and executive pardon requests, that caused the delay in the execution [pun intended] of their sentence. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I believe it was the guilty defendants, with their continued judicial appeals and executive pardon requests, that caused the delay in the execution [pun intended] of their sentence.

It is not unreasonable to argue a pro death sentence line as many posters have. However, I find you obvious glee in this matter offensive and wildly inappropriate.

• Like 2

I believe it was the guilty defendants, with their continued judicial appeals and executive pardon requests, that caused the delay in the execution [pun intended] of their sentence.
. Nothing to do all day but TROLL the Internet with your ludicrous statements trying to goad people into a reaction, Go Away Troll...and take your alter ego Bannork with ya.

So anyone who has opinions contrary to your own should be criticized or censored for expressing them? Those are some nice values you espouse...hardy Australian ones too I imagine, and I'm sure the Bali Nine would thank you, if they could, for using them in their defense.

If one is against the death penalty on principle for any crime fine. (I lean toward this position.)
If one is against the death penalty for drugs offenses fine.
If one is against inept or corrupt judiciaries in any country work for reform.

However, if the death penalty is on the books for drugs offenses, and those found guilty of this crime do not suffer this judgment, the the law and civil society itself is made a mockery.

. Nothing to do all day but TROLL the Internet with your ludicrous statements trying to goad people into a reaction, Go Away Troll...and take your alter ego Bannork with ya.

So anyone who has opinions contrary to your own should be criticized or censored for expressing them? Those are some nice values you espouse...hardy Australian ones too I imagine, and I'm sure the Bali Nine would thank you, if they could, for using them in their defense.

If one is against the death penalty on principle for any crime fine. (I lean toward this position.)

However, if the death penalty is on the books for drugs offenses, and those found guilty of this crime do not suffer this judgment, the the law and civil society itself is made a mockery.
. It's your Morbid Glee, That's the Problem...

. It's your Morbid Glee, That's the Problem...

Well that's just my over-the-top rejoinder to all the histrionics over a few people being executed after having been judged guilty of a crime. As I said, I hold no particular affection for the death penalty per se...just that if it is in fact on the books it should be respected. Earlier I posted my position on drugs themselves. However, these are just my personal opinions and I respect the people and government of Indonesia (and Australia) for the positions and laws they have on these matters as well. I also think there is more than a bit of left-over Western cultural imperialism whenever it comes to their (our) nationals who get caught doing something naughty overseas and get call-out on it.

As I said, I hold no particular affection for the death penalty per se...just that if it is in fact on the books it should be respected.

That kind of reasoning didn't work out too well for those who themselves were executed for crimes after WW2.

All they were doing was their jobs, it was all authorised, etc.

As I said, I hold no particular affection for the death penalty per se...just that if it is in fact on the books it should be respected.

That kind of reasoning didn't work out too well for those who themselves were executed for crimes after WW2.

All they were doing was their jobs, it was all authorised, etc.

I think there is a generally recognized difference between run of the mill intra-national drug laws, and the penalties therein, and crimes against humanity. I don't think the executioners, judges, or the president of Indonesia, who denied clemency in these cases, will be be hauled before the International Criminal Court, in the Hague, anytime soon.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

The Aussie tabloid media continues to milk this for all it's worth.

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/dear-president-widodo/story-fnh81fz8-1227327235382

My question is simple - if Chan and Sukumaran were both living in a halfway house in Sydney after serving 10 years in an Australian jail for trying to bring 8kg of heroin into the country, would any Australian who had lost someone to drugs give a flying fig about their welfare ?

Of the original nine, at this stage only Renae Lawrence can expect to be released within the next 10 years - not entirely sure how many Australians particularly want to read her account of life in Indo prisons (Kerobokan 2005-14, then relocated to Bangli), but I believe the remainder of the nine will be completely forgotten. If the Australian media is going to maintain outrage over anything in Bali, it should be the 2002 bombings not a series of arrests in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine

• Like 1

Apologies in advance for not having the name of the newspaper:

I was watching the Aus news this morning and they showed 2 frontpages from the smae newspaper one was todays showing a picture of the indo pres with captions such as blood on his hands, murderer. They also showed a 10 year old frontpage from the exact same paper with a pic of ttwo of the bali nine in hand cuffs just after being arrested with captions such as "they deserve what they get" "the are scum" etc.

I had just woken up and the name of the paper did not register, still looking online to try and find these two front pages.

Apologies in advance for not having the name of the newspaper:

I was watching the Aus news this morning and they showed 2 frontpages from the smae newspaper one was todays showing a picture of the indo pres with captions such as blood on his hands, murderer. They also showed a 10 year old frontpage from the exact same paper with a pic of ttwo of the bali nine in hand cuffs just after being arrested with captions such as "they deserve what they get" "the are scum" etc.

I had just woken up and the name of the paper did not register, still looking online to try and find these two front pages.

It was the gaurdian
  • Like 1

Chooka/WW: I posted the content below in the other OP, thoughts?

In today's only Australian national newspaper, The Australian, is a front page report that the current government of Australia last year advised the Australian Federal Police not to take into consideration the death penalty when sharing info on Australians with foreign government agencies. If the report is accurate it stinks of Australian government policy deceit in its dealing with Indonesia over the executions and a blow to the reputation of the PM and Foreign Minister of Australia.

In today's only Australian national newspaper, The Australian, is a front page report that the current government of Australia last year advised the Australian Federal Police not to take into consideration the death penalty when sharing info on Australians with foreign government agencies. If the report is accurate it stinks of Australian government policy deceit in its dealing with Indonesia over the executions and a blow to the reputation of the PM and Foreign Minister of Australia.

Its called diplomacy, and if you go back through the history its clear that Canberra has spent a lot of time trying to mend fences with Jakarta after East Timor, Australia's participation in the Coalition of the Willing and other blips on the radar. The billion dollars in tsunami aid was definitely part of that 'fence mending' effort. Threatening that relationship over the fate of drug traffickers in SEA makes about as much sense as losing Japan as a major export market simply because the majority of Australians are appalled by their ongoing attempts to restart commercial whaling. If Indonesians already see Australians as a soft touch after the live export fiasco, images of people burning candles for two convicted drug traffickers in Martin Place are unlikely to improve that perception.

For one man's view of why this relationship is so important to Australia - and why Indonesia could even be a valuable ally in the 'Asian Century' - read on. Economic growth may have slowed since this was written but he makes some interesting points re the size and power of the RI relative to Australia over the next 80 or so years,

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/june/1370181600/hugh-white/what-indonesia-s-rise-means-australia

• Like 1

Its called diplomacy, and if you go back through the history its clear that Canberra has spent a lot of time trying to mend fences with Jakarta after East Timor, Australia's participation in the Coalition of the Willing and other blips on the radar. The billion dollars in tsunami aid was definitely part of that 'fence mending' effort. Threatening that relationship over the fate of drug traffickers in SEA makes about as much sense as losing Japan as a major export market simply because the majority of Australians are appalled by their ongoing attempts to restart commercial whaling. If Indonesians already see Australians as a soft touch after the live export fiasco, images of people burning candles for two convicted drug traffickers in Martin Place are unlikely to improve that perception.

For one man's view of why this relationship is so important to Australia - and why Indonesia could even be a valuable ally in the 'Asian Century' - read on. Economic growth may have slowed since this was written but he makes some interesting points re the size and power of the RI relative to Australia over the next 80 or so years,

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/june/1370181600/hugh-white/what-indonesia-s-rise-means-australia

I agree with the sentiments expressed in your first paragraph. What I was trying to get to is the duplicity by the current government with its messaging concerning the executions.

I have previously posted a similar link in another topic concerning Indo / Australia relations with which I agree. IMO it is very unfortunate that most Australians are unaware of these matters.

Edited by simple1

There will be serious repercussions for these actions.

No there won't. Far worse attrocities happen all the time and most wouldn't remember any of them. What international repercussions happened to the Thai authorities when a truckload of southerners died- none as far as I know.

Perhaps the outrage is because it's happening to Australians and not some SE Asians, and that would have to be pretty racist.

I agree with the sentiments expressed in your first paragraph. What I was trying to get to is the duplicity by the current government with its messaging concerning the executions.

I have previously posted a similar link in another topic concerning Indo / Australia relations with which I agree. IMO it is very unfortunate that most Australians are unaware of these matters.

Perhaps if one of the Kadashians could be pursuaded to join the effort, more Australians would know about it. Seems that in this celebrity driven world we live in now, only trash culture is considered important.

Australia is seen as a soft touch because it has bent over backwards to accommodate Indonesia's every whim and fancy: military and police training, education, rural health and development, legal training, support for anti-corruption measures, massive assistance after the tsunami. Billions and Billions.

The crunch in the relationship came over Australia's support for an independent Timor L'este and Indonesia has never forgiven Australia for that..

Regardless of the merits of the case of Chan and Sukumaran, Indonesia has treated Australia in the rudest most cavalier manner in recent times, without a shred of integrity and with a shambolic, chaotic, contemptuous disregard. That treatment has not gone down well in Australia, even with those who believe the Indonesians had the right to carry out the death penalty. This is the lowest ebb of the relationship since Megawati Sukarno Putrid's father said the rest of the world can go to hell (c1963) over both Irian Jaya and Konfrontasi with Malaysia.

Apart from some beef exports and refugees (now largely resolved) the only thing of significance in the relationship is the number of Australians who vacation in Bali. As a resort, Bali makes Pattaya look like a centre of sophistication and style. The TAT should be trying to tap that market because Australians ARE going to give Indonesia a wide berth.

Edited by Prbkk

Australia is seen as a soft touch because it has bent over backwards to accommodate Indonesia's every whim and fancy: military and police training, education, rural health and development, legal training, support for anti-corruption measures, massive assistance after the tsunami. Billions and Billions.

The crunch in the relationship came over Australia's support for an independent Timor L'este and Indonesia has never forgiven Australia for that..

Regardless of the merits of the case of Chan and Sukumaran, Indonesia has treated Australia in the rudest most cavalier manner in recent times, without a shred of integrity and with a shambolic, chaotic, contemptuous disregard. That treatment has not gone down well in Australia, even with those who believe the Indonesians had the right to carry out the death penalty. This is the lowest ebb of the relationship since Megawati Sukarno Putrid's father said the rest of the world can go to hell (c1963) over both Irian Jaya and Konfrontasi with Malaysia.

Apart from some beef exports and refugees (now largely resolved) the only thing of significance in the relationship is the number of Australians who vacation in Bali. As a resort, Bali makes Pattaya look like a centre of sophistication and style. The TAT should be trying to tap that market because Australians ARE going to give Indonesia a wide berth.

Hopefully not. That would really lower the tone biggrin.png .

The executions are not about Indonesia slighting Australia. Nor about any of the countries who will have their citizens executed. It is all about the Indonesian President, his political party and the fact that he is hugely popular now. It is all home politics. He has exercised the right of his country to do what is on their statute books and ignore the pressure placed on them by former colonial powers. The message Indonesia is also saying is to get out of our internal politics.

• Like 1