Your Children's Future

thehelmsman

Wonder how many parents are sacrificing their children's education and future, just because of their selfish desire to live in Thailand at any cost?

You all must know that your children will get a head start in life if educated in a developed country, presumably, your own.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder how many parents are sacrificing their children's education and future, just because of their selfish desire to live in Thailand at any cost?

You all must know that your children will get a head start in life if educated in a developed country, presumably, your own.

Yeah but, returning to your home country with Thai wife and kids, leads to your wife getting upgrade opportunities, then they aren't your kids anymore.

Yeah but, returning to your home country with Thai wife and kids, leads to your wife getting upgrade opportunities, then they aren't your kids anymore.

If that's what you truly believe, you shouldn't have:-

1. Married her in the first place.

2. Had children with her.

So your children will suffer a third rate education because of your insecurity.

If you want your child to get a good job and have a chance at a good life--unless you have a fortune or a thriving business to leave them—you need to send them to college.

Yeah, I know, I’ll get a dozen yayhoos who claim they have no college and they do fine—but things have changed, it isn’t so easy to get a good job anymore without a degree.

Very few high earners took the traditional education route.

But if you are talking mediocre middle class job, and mediocre middle class life, then you're right.

To be a high earner, you need family money, family connections, right school, right fraternity, etc.

(That isn't including the few true entrepreneurs who make money with no education or special training)

If you aren't already in that group, it's unlikely your children will be allowed to join.

Which makes your point somewhat moot... Either you are in the group with the right connections or not.

Education is key, successful people from every walk of society and life, from Politicians, private business folk, CEO's to Royalty all choose to give their children the best possible education afforded to them. They don't rely on the possibility that their children may become entrepreneurial giants or successfully take over their family business without an education.

Thus: While some have been fortunate and successful ask these same successful people whether if they wish for the best education for their child.

Education is key, successful people from every walk of society and life, from Politicians, private business folk, CEO's to Royalty all choose to give their children the best possible education afforded to them. They don't rely on the possibility that their children may become entrepreneurial giants or successfully take over their family business without an education.

No, they send their kids to the right schools and universities.

The education is irrelevant, it's mixing with the other right children that counts, making the right friends and contacts.

Some of the International Schools here are of a standard exceeding Schools back in the UK - Thus for those who can cover the costs of a Top Tier International School there really is no sacrifice [of the Childs education] to be made.

However, IF finances do not afford you the luxury of a decent International School, then Schools in the UK are perhaps a better option.

One additional point: This may depend on where in the UK we may choose to school our child. Some inner-city Schools are downright horrible and may not be that much better than a good government school in Thailand.

The simple rule of thumb for (those from the UK): A decent Private / International School or move back home.

Education in Thailand does not have to be "3rd rate". I don't know where you're from, but a British, inner London state school would not be my first choice for my child.

Some of the International Schools here are of a standard exceeding Schools back in the UK - Thus for those who can cover the costs of a Top Tier International School there really is no sacrifice [of the Childs education] to be made.

However, IF finances do not afford you the luxury of a decent International School, then Schools in the UK are perhaps a better option.

One additional point: This may depend on where in the UK we may choose to school our child. Some inner-city Schools are downright horrible and may not be that much better than a good government school in Thailand.

The simple rule of thumb for (those from the UK): A decent Private / International School or move back home.

Yup.....I totally agree. But, see how many posts above say that an International school is out of the question due to financial reasons.

My remarks are aimed at these people. These parents live in Thailand at any cost, even their children's future.

Shame on them.

The education is irrelevant, it's mixing with the other right children that counts, making the right friends and contacts.

Are you suggesting that education is no longer important for those who can't send their children to the right schools and universities ?

Are you suggesting that education is no longer important for those who can't send their children to the right schools and universities ?

No, I'm suggesting an education will get some of them a middle class job with a middle class life and a middle class wage.

Which is probably good enough for most parents.

No, I'm suggesting an education will get some of them a middle class job with a middle class life and a middle class wage.

Which is probably good enough for most parents.

As a parent I'm hoping for the best for my child. To achieve this I will give them the best education I can afford as I don't believe in taking the chance that they may become a successful entrepreneur or sports star.

What alternatives would you suggest?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My child's future is my child's future.

I don't think education is the most important thing in the world and it is up to the individual child anyway. There are a lot of no-hopers in the west. Maybe even more than in Asia, despite education.

Education is a means to an end and Thais are doing fine in terms of making money. Many salaries in the west are awful and most people i know can't get on the property ladder, nor save for the future (despite their so-called good education).

I want my daughter to be safe, healthy, and happy. It is my job to try to make sure this happens.

She already has more in Thailand (house and land) than she could possibly have where I come from.

So, what about her future? Who knows.

But I ain't gonna revolve her life around education. Frankly, it's overrated, in my opinion.

Happiness is number one. You can't buy it, nor study to attain it.

All people really want, at the end of the day, is a happy life.

That is all a parent should want for their child.

I have met quite a few utopian parents who believe children's happiness is above a well planned future. They do not encourage extra study at home. They do not force extra classes during 3 months holiday. They leave all reading, writing and early math to the lone teacher with 25 kids and 20 subjects to teach.happiness and rosey times. Until about grade 5. Then they bring them to the tutorial schools .wah wah my kid can't read. Wah my kid can't count. The kids of these families hold all the other kids up. They take up a lot of the teachers and other students time with all the help they need. My child is constantly put next to weaker kids to act as a kiddy tutor. Why. Because we worked everyday with our child in basic skills and the other parent let their child learn " the natural way "
All the kids that have worked really hard are held back because of their lazy parents.

I can agree with most of your points, i think.

I read to my daughter most days. She knows her Thai and English alphabets. Se can count well. I encourage her to question things and be creative. I don't scold her for thinking outside the box, even if it mean she has totally destroyed the living room, lol. I try to nurture any type of thinking she does.

A teacher's role is to encourage the child to use their brain, not tell them what to think.

She gets plenty of study at home, but i wouldn't put her in summer school. They need a break.

My daughter is only 3, by the way. She studies at a private trilingual school where I teach.

What i mean by my original post is: I will not jump on the band wagon to take my kid back west simply for education, which is what we hear a lot of people saying is the right thing to do. I think there is more to life than that.

Furthermore, education sucks worldwide. At the kinder-garden level, virtually all children are geniuses. As they go through our school systems they get dumber and dumber and dumber! In every country, by the way.

They are compared to each other with standardized testing. Their creativity is punished. The ones who learn differently get put on pills to calm them down. Have you noticed the more we standardize testing, the more ADHD cases there are? Hmmm.

And like someone else mentioned, the high-earners usually don't take the traditional school route. They think for themselves. They are creative. Schooling only prepares us to be indoctrinated servants, not thinkers!

And you should be glad your child is a tutor for his/her friends. It'll prove beneficial. Someone else mentioned this to you too.

With that kind of thinking, the logical thing to do is not continue educating your daughter as according to you that will just make her dumber.

Frankly, just more typical excuses on why it's unnecessary for you to go back to your own country for the benefit of your child's education.

Have heard millions of them and yours isn't particularly original.

With that kind of thinking, the logical thing to do is not continue educating your daughter as according to you that will just make her dumber.

Frankly, just more typical excuses on why it's unnecessary for you to go back to your own country for the benefit of your child's education.

Some people have jobs and lives in Thailand! Taking them back to your own country isn't always an option, and would probably be more expensive in the long run than an International School in Thailand. I'm not sure why anyone with such a low opinion about the education in Thailand, would want to have a Thai child?

Some people have jobs and lives in Thailand! Taking them back to your own country isn't always an option, and would probably be more expensive in the long run than an International School in Thailand. I'm not sure why anyone with such a low opinion about the education in Thailand, would want to have a Thai child?

I have a Thai child that has no options to live in another country.

She is doing just fine in a (free) government high-school.

Speaks English and Thai perfectly, top of her class, looking forward to Thai university in a couple of years (CMU or MaeJo)

Should I dump the Thai child to whatever fate, and move back to the UK so my Thai/English child can be educated in my home country?

I have a Thai child that has no options to live in another country.

She is doing just fine in a (free) government high-school.

Speaks English and Thai perfectly, top of her class, looking forward to Thai university in a couple of years (CMU or MaeJo)

Should I dump the Thai child to whatever fate, and move back to the UK so my Thai/English child can be educated in my home country?

Just keep saying whatever you need to justify robbing your own child of a proper education.......

Just keep saying whatever you need to justify robbing your own child of a proper education.......

That's just pathetic.

So, you have one child that is not your blood and one child that is.

By your actions, both are going to get a sub-standard education. An education that doesn't include critical thought, asking questions, An education system that passes all students, regardless of ability.

Seems to me you have chosen the worst possible scenario.

If you want your child to get a good job and have a chance at a good life--unless you have a fortune or a thriving business to leave them—you need to send them to college.

Yeah, I know, I’ll get a dozen yayhoos who claim they have no college and they do fine—but things have changed, it isn’t so easy to get a good job anymore without a degree.

You have also seen the dozens of frugalists who claim they are living well in Thailand on less than B20k/mo. If that is all you want for your kids, let them attend attend school here.

Children who attend Thai public schools, even if they graduate from a Thai university, do not fare well in today’s marketplace. Will they fare better in the future?

Do some research, look at the salaries today’s young adult receives with and without a college degree—plain and simple, there is a vast difference in income between the two. You have to realize, there is no more domestic industry, every business everywhere has international aspects. Competition is rampant, each and every worker is competing with other workers all over the world.

You don’t have to be a fortune teller to see the chances of a good job are better if you have a degree from a Western-accredited college. Even if you don’t have a degree, your chances at a better job increase if you have a Western education and experience.

To keep good jobs in the future, you will have to continually improve your education, knowledge, and skill-sets. If you don’t, you will be replaced by someone who does.

If you do a job which requires only a few weeks or a few months training; you can be replaced by anyone with a few months experience.

Similarly, if your job can be proceduralized; you know, written down step by step. You can be replaced by anyone who can read.

In both cases, those who will replace you will do it for less money.

Unless you can afford the costly international schools, I recommend you send them back to your home country for education when your child reaches middle school age—12-14. Sure, go with them if you can. That way they stand a much better chance of being prepared and getting into a good college in your home country.

I agree. My Thai wife and kids are with me here in NZ. The rationale is that at the very least they will learn good English speaking skills because although English reading and writing is taught in Thailand, speaking is not, unless they are at an expensive international school. My kids who could hardly speak/ reluctant to speak English, now after only 3 years speak like fluent Kiwis. The best investment I could make for them and it's life changing. They are still loyal to Thailand and want to return one day and that's fine by me because they will be able to get good jobs if only because of their English speaking skills. That was the reason we came here, apart from the money that can be made and converted back to THB! If you can emigrate, do it for your kid's sake because it will broaden their horizons immensely which is not only good for them but is good for Thailand which even though is part of a sub-continent, its population is quite limited and isolationist/nationalistic in thinking. My Thai kids react when I tease them about bringing them back to schools in Thailand "No way!!! I'm not going!" They did not enjoy the (government) schools or the teachers whom they consider authoritarian and on a personal level, non caring. Currently they are in state schools here and love it.

My child is constantly put next to weaker kids to act as a kiddy tutor.

That's actually really good for your child.

Helps develop social and teaching skills, and improves your child's understanding of the subject.

You never fully understand something until you have to teach someone else.

"To teach, is to learn twice".

Don't agree with that at all.

There is no need for people's children to study in a 3rd rate Thai school.

As was pointed out by Happy Grumpy, it is cheap and easy for students to study international courses and exams in small groups.

Generally 8 students.

Compared to a full class of kids in a school 'at home'.

I would go on, but you come across as just a troll, aggressively poking people with incorrect information.

This topic has been done to death on this forum but basically I've lived here for 6 years with my partner, we now have 2 kids, the eldest has been in K1 in a good international school in Bangkok since last September.

As somebody already said, your job as a parent is to make sure your kids are safe, happy, healthy and well educated. If you think that applies to your children being raised somewhere in Thailand then I would argue against all points because this country is far more dangerous and toxic for kids than my home country.

We are planning to move to the UK in a few months and my eldest will start a UK first school in year 1 in September. To be honest I cannot wait for them to start growing up in the UK, not because of the schooling but because of the social side of it more than anything. I loved growing up in the UK and I want my kids to have the same experience. Every time we go back to the UK and I see my kids doing the same things I used to do and having friends there it makes me really happy. All of the time we are in Thailand just feels like we are wasting time and my kids are not really having a life here, everything feels like a cheap pale imitation of what can be had in the UK.

And for whoever said that the family/social bond here is so strong, then I would also argue against that as I don't see Thai kids being raised with any sort of affection or compassion here and I believe it has a big effect on them when they are adults. My wife's sister and cousin both work in Bangkok and their kids are raised by their mothers back in the village, whenever the real mothers are with their kids they seem like they barely care or spend any time with their children when they can, whenever they leave them again for 6 months they hardly even say goodbye or seem emotional at all. Not once have I seen my wife's parents hug, kiss or generally show any kind of affection to her or her siblings, and the same goes for all the families I got to know when I lived in their Isaan village. Maybe it is just Isaan.

And you can say that you will raise your kids in your own way and mould them to your values and ethics but the fact is all of their friends and peers will not have been raised that way and they will most likely have a bigger impact on their upbringing and lives than you think. If you are not a qualified teacher how exactly are you going to make up for the inadequate Thai educational system here? Do you know how to assess your student and what they need or do you just think that because you went to a Western school that you can remember everything that you were taught and how to teach it to someone else for 14 years? What if you are no longer here for some reason, what would happen to your kids seeing as you have taken it upon yourself to solely make up for all that is missing here.

I think that a lot of people who choose to raise their kids here are only doing it because truthfully they want to stay in Thailand themselves so they are overlooking all of the serious flaws with this country. Have you ever heard anyone in the UK say "I really wish I could take our kids to Thailand so they could get a really good safe upbringing and a great education that will really benefit them in life"?

I'm not trying to troll or be harsh to anyone already posted in this thread, I'm just posting my thoughts after 4 years of serious consideration about whether to raise my kids in Thailand and the UK, in the end the UK was the obviously choice for me for dozens of reasons but I couldn't really think of one compelling reason for them to chance growing up here.

Don't agree with that at all.

There is no need for people's children to study in a 3rd rate Thai school.

As was pointed out by Happy Grumpy, it is cheap and easy for students to study international courses and exams in small groups.

Generally 8 students.

Compared to a full class of kids in a school 'at home'.

I would go on, but you come across as just a troll, aggressively poking people with incorrect information.

What rubbish.

It still doesn't come up to the standard of an education in the West. Without a qualified (as in the Western idea of qualified) teacher, it's just pissing into the wind.

Just another excuse to justify living in Thailand at the cost of your child's future.

Just keep posting those excuses. Hasn't been an original one yet, but, I live in hope......

OK, KarenBravo

I will just try to reply to all your posts here since i can't quote all the different things you have said.

I don't advocate that we shouldn't educate our kids, but that we should do it differently. See post #46 for what that means, in my humble opinion. And there ain't a single country in the world doing that.

Being educated in the west doesn't necessarily offer a better future. It is arrogant to think so. Asian people are doing fine, in case you haven't noticed.

There is more creativity here. More business owners. More entrepreneurs. People in the the west are largely owned by the system. They are told, "You can't start a business, you have to join a business". And they reply, "OK, boss!". Hows that for critical thinking, Karen? Their schooling as turned them into mindless drones.

Frankly, you can see way more clever thinking from Thais, than westerners.

Your whole attitude is arrogant: We keep our children here selfishly. We should never have had kid with a particular woman. We should never have married her. etc etc.

Why don't you just take care of your own family and stop judging others for having children in Thailand and not fleeing back to where we came from for so-called education.

Come down off your high-horse for a second. Did you fail your own child and that's why you have to attack us to make yourself feel better? Otherwise, why do you attack us?

I don't think there is anything wrong with going back west to have your child schooled. I don't judge you. I just don't see it as you do.

Archived