Your Children's Future

thehelmsman

However, making six figures in your home country, at least in the US, is certainly possible. As I mentioned before, any degreed professional, makes six figures. Many lesser degree fields--management, accounting, IT, public administration--also earn six figures. Don't expect that as fast-food manager, a lower order techie, a simple bookkeeper, a mid-range bureaucrat, or a teacher--unless it is at a good university and you have tenure.

School teacher, nurse ........... six figures, I don't think so, they are all degree professionals.

University lecturers earn less than school teachers in the UK (lower wage scale).

IT jobs have very low wages in the UK, lucky to get 15K these days.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, making six figures in your home country, at least in the US, is certainly possible. As I mentioned before, any degreed professional, makes six figures. Many lesser degree fields--management, accounting, IT, public administration--also earn six figures. Don't expect that as fast-food manager, a lower order techie, a simple bookkeeper, a mid-range bureaucrat, or a teacher--unless it is at a good university and you have tenure.

School teacher, nurse ........... six figures, I don't think so, they are all degree professionals.

University lecturers earn less than school teachers in the UK (lower wage scale).

IT jobs have very low wages in the UK, lucky to get 15K these days.

You are correct that many teachers and nurses do not make six figures, but they could. What I should have said was, "any degreed professional, can make six figures."

I have been a school teacher. When I taught the capstone course in the MBA program at a major US university, I made well into six figures. Sure, I had more education and experience than most elementary teachers—but that is the point; don’t stop learning and you will not stop earning.

Even elementary and secondary school teachers can earn six-figures. Check out their salaries in New York and California.

http://teach.com/education-current-events/highest-lowest-teacher-salaries

Nurses, you say, again you need to look at well-educated and experienced nurses, not just the pill pushers and bedpan shifters. Registered Nurses in the US average about $66k/year, about 10% of them average MORE than $96k/year—the average salary of RNs in San Francisco is $127k/yr.

However, again, more education and experience can lead to being a Nurse Practitioner, whose average salary is over $95k/yr—which means MANY MORE of them make six figures. Again, stopping your learning, stifles your worth. To earn more, you need to learn more.

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/registered-nurse/salary

The point I am making is that you will not likely earn six figures right away except in a very few professions; however, in almost every profession, six figures is a real possibility—if you gain experience and continue to learn.

• 1 month later...

I have twin girls (thai) and son (half thai) coming to Australia (waiting for visas). At the end of the day i think they will get a better shot at a good education than in Thailand. My wife and i have talked about this quite often. Her nieces go to school 7 days a week and will go to university to get a government job it would seem, but they dont seem happy. As long as my kids get an education that puts them in good stead for life we will be happy and will do everything we can to help them. I think it will be an interesting few years to see how it all pans out lol.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

I have twin girls (thai) and son (half thai) coming to Australia (waiting for visas). At the end of the day i think they will get a better shot at a good education than in Thailand. My wife and i have talked about this quite often. Her nieces go to school 7 days a week and will go to university to get a government job it would seem, but they dont seem happy. As long as my kids get an education that puts them in good stead for life we will be happy and will do everything we can to help them. I think it will be an interesting few years to see how it all pans out lol.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Any foreigner who thinks a village or local education is doing their children justice when they have the option of an education in the west or Australia, is completely wrong.

You have absolutely made the right decision if you cannot afford an international school here. Good luck.

Archived