Need advice on electrical product purchased in the U.S.

tomx2

Hi.

I brought over from the United State to Thailand a hair clipper.

It has 2 prongs.

It's a cheap one and I will only use it occasionally during my time in Thailand.

Today, I tried unsuccessfully to use it for the first time, and it sounded extremely loud. Also vibrated more than usual.

What I read online is the U.S. uses 110V and Thailand is 220V. But that many U.S. electrical products can adjust to 220V.

My Dell laptop (purchased in the U.S.). works fine in Pattaya.

(Q's)

Is it my Electric hair clipper just going bad(works well in the U.S.)?

Is there an adapter or transformer available in Pattaya to convert my 110V to 220V?

If so where exactly can I buy an Adapter. I am staying in a hotel near Central Department store on Soi13.

Thanks.

TC.

What does it say on the case? It will indicate the voltage and Hertz requirement somewhere (although you may need reading glasses to see it).

Most items sold in USA are not multi voltage unless laptops or shavers - it is cheaper to make only for USA then to provide multi voltage ability as it is such a large market, and so cost dependent.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What does it say on the case? It will indicate the voltage and Hertz requirement somewhere (although you may need reading glasses to see it).

Most items sold in USA are not multi voltage unless laptops or shavers - it is cheaper to make only for USA then to provide multi voltage ability as it is such a large market, and so cost dependent.

Unfortunately, I threw away the packaging box a few months ago. Just assume it is 110V.

Is there a transformer available here to step up the voltage to 220V or should I just buy a new hair clipper as someone mentioned in this thread.

TC.

It by law must be on the item itself - check for printing (maybe raised plastic the same color as item making it hard to see). I would just buy a new model here rather than a transformer (which will not change the Hertz).

Lucky that you haven't shorted out your clipper by plugging it into the 220 socket. I've done that so many times....I found some voltage converters (step-down/step-up) at Numchai electrical shop in Naklua. Not sure if they have them at Numchai on Sukhumvit. They are not easy to find, believe me. Good luck and best.

If you have a more than just the clippers it may be worth getting a transformer, but as others have indicated it would be pretty cheap to just replace them.

Most 60hz motors will work on 50hz but (as others have said) they will run slower.