Converting a Non-Imm OA into a work permit?

Is an expat "locked in" to a retirement visa once it is acquired? I have more than enough money to qualify for the retirement visa but things are always changing and I would like the option of converting to a work permit if this is possible. I do have a Master's Degree and university work has been mentioned but I really don't want to work for a while. Any guidance on this subject is appreciated. I know it's possible to convert a tourist visa into a work permit by leaving the country, but I don't think I've ever seen conversion of the Non_Imm OA addressed anywhere. Thanks for any information.

No, you aren't "locked in". You can exit, and apply for a Non-Immigrant "B" Visa, or an "O" if married to a Thai, just need to start a company, or find an employer. There may be some cases where a change of visa status could occur within country, but I wouldn't count on it. By the way, people aren't converting Tourist Visas to work permits, they are changing visas, that will allow the work permit to be issued, visas and work permits are separate issues.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 2

You cannot covert any visa into to a work permit, The work permit is applied for at the Labor Ministry and then is issued after you get a non-b visa. And then you can apply for an extension of stay based upon working.

If you were on a OA visa from an embassy or consulate you might have problems until after the visa expired unless the location where you applied for a non-b were to cancel it. You would probably have to get a tourist visa first and try to get the embassy to cancel your OA visa before you could apply for a work permit.

If you had an extension of stay based upon retirement and did not have a valid re-entry permit you could just leave the country and re-enter the country getting a visa exempt entry and then apply for the work permit. Then go out again with a work permit application approval letter to get the non-b visa.

• Like 1