No common time zone for Asean for now

webfact

By Coconuts Bangkok

timezone.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A proposal to put all Asean countries on one time zone was officially put on hold Sunday as most people in most countries just aren’t into the idea.

A meeting of foreign ministers of Kuala Lumpur ended with the proposal shelved over differing views on implementing a common time zone, according to Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman.

"I think we came to the conclusion that it's not something that we can take further right now but we should continue looking at it," Singapore Foreign Minister K. Shanmugam said.

The Asean region now has four time zones, and under the proposal all members would adjust their clock to Singapore time, which shares [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/28/no-common-time-zone-asean-now

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-04-28

Not really a surprise since ASEAN stretches across about 70degrees of Longitutde -- depending on what they're thinking of including in this "core member timezone" wink.png

The core would be Beijing, because Singapore is artificially aligned to Hong Kong which has Beijing time.

It's nowhere near solar time for most places except the Philippines and a complete joke for Burma.

Edited by Morakot

Not really a surprise since ASEAN stretches across about 70degrees of Longitutde -- depending on what they're thinking of including in this "core member timezone" wink.png

The core would be Beijing, because Singapore is artificially aligned to Hong Kong which has Beijing time.

It's nowhere near solar time for most places except the Philippines and a complete joke for Burma.

Indeed -- but they could chop it up into logical one-hours bands.

Oh -- wait a minute - it's politicans! That's logic out the window !! bah.gif

Apparently a 20 years old plan...

In 1995, it was proposed by ASEAN leaders that an ASEAN Common Time (ACT) be adopted and it was later suggested that this would only be implemented for all the capital cities of ASEAN. A year later, in 1996, at the first informal meeting of the Heads of Government of ASEAN in Jakarta, the Heads of Government agreed to review the matter during the period of 2000-2003.

2001. In July 2001, Thailand announced their intention of moving their clocks forward by 1 hour, to be in line with both Malaysia and Singapore, but more importantly, to be on the same time as China and Hong Kong, i.e. 8 hrs ahead of GMT.

http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/teaching/timezone.html

These ASEAN ministers must have too much time on their hands, talking about frivolous topics like a common time zone.

They should start with agreeing to simple things which are practically useful to ordinary people - such as the same emergency telephone numbers for Police, Ambulance, Directory Service, Fire etc for all ASEAN countries.

All of India has the same time zone, so in the Andaman islands far to the East the sun rises at 5.00, and the sun sets at 17.30.

So does China I believe although I think they have ways round the problems it creates. I'm sure someone else knows more than me.