Cambodians Jailed for Illegal Logging Deported from Thailand

Dozens of Cambodians were deported from Thailand this weekend. In total, 54 people were deported after being arrested for illegal logging in the country. The deportation is an attempt to lower the strife seen between soldiers in Thailand and the loggers. Oftentimes, the strife is deadly.

Thailand has seen a surge in Cambodian deportation in April, with over 80 people being deported.

Many attempts have been made to confront illegal loggers in the forest, but were met with deadly incidents. Now, the loggers are being arrested and prosecuted instead of being confronted in the forest.

Cambodian officials have asked for their nationals to be arrested and deported in an attempt to lower the amount of deaths near the border. Thailand officials killed 69 Cambodians in 2013, and Thai soldiers were accused of burning a

Cambodian man alive on January 7th. The man was accused of trying to smuggle a motorcycle across the country’s border.

Thai soldiers are not to blame for the deadly incidents. Loggers that come into Thailand illegally to log rosewood are often accompanied by guards. These guards will fire at Thai soldiers who are then required to fire back as allowed under international law.

Thailand and Cambodia are working together to curb illegal logging in the country.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-29

What is the chance they will catch any Thai such criminals? Or maybe there are none.

You are missing what they are doing just now in the national parks around the country?

The Thai style is more of cutting the trees and make a rubber plantation or build a resort.

• Like 1

I totally believe that view. I just came from a month in Cambodia birding.

Take a lone trip and stay in that area for a few weeks. Travel around to the villages and just look around.

While birding there alone. I was treated very good by the local tribes people. Who helped me get my truck out of ruts many times.

The only time I felt threatened there was by the loggers.

They sent there guys to make sure I was not taking pics of the illegal logging. Which I wasn't. But, if I were. I can tell you now. I would of been disposed of promptly IMO.

Here is a blog on the birding in that area. I left out the bad parts. The birding and people there are really great.

The loggers? They keep the tourists away. It is pretty bad situation.

http://www.birdsthatfart.com/1/post/2015/03/birding-northern-cambodia.html

Terrible situation.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

Pure insanity. The loggers come across with AK-47s into the border zone to steal rosewood for unofficial and illegal trade that is sanctioned, even organized by the Cambodian government under a front company run by a man called Try Pheap. Releasing them back to Cambodia only means they will come back energized to steal more timber. These people don't use passports after all so deportation means nothing to them.

Take a lone trip and stay in that area for a few weeks. Travel around to the villages and just look around.

While birding there alone. I was treated very good by the local tribes people. Who helped me get my truck out of ruts many times.

They sent there guys to make sure I was not taking pics of the illegal logging. Which I wasn't. But, if I were. I can tell you now. I would of been disposed of promptly IMO.

Here is a blog on the birding in that area. I left out the bad parts. The birding and people there are really great.

Terrible situation.

Wow some great shots! Please throw in the rest of your shots on your site as soon as possible! I've never seen these birds before... I've booked marked it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Pure insanity. The loggers come across with AK-47s into the border zone to steal rosewood for unofficial and illegal trade that is sanctioned, even organized by the Cambodian government under a front company run by a man called Try Pheap. Releasing them back to Cambodia only means they will come back energized to steal more timber. These people don't use passports after all so deportation means nothing to them.

I would have thought they would have brought chain saws in lieu of AK 47's. Oh well, I guess they know more about logging than I do.

Terrible situation.

Wow some great shots! Please throw in the rest of your shots on your site as soon as possible! I've never seen these birds before... I've booked marked it.

Hard to believe those birds are just a very few miles from the Thail border. They all used to be see in Thailand. But Thailand has deforested the lowlands almost totally. And the habitat is lost in Thailand.

Actually I don't know for sure? But, I bet Cambodia is no worse than Thailand was 50 or so years ago. Sad state for sure.

My flickr site has a few more birds from that area. http://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Starting from this shot: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos/16623184968/ there are fourteen pics from that area mostly.

Cheers,

Edited by garyk

Terrible situation.

Hard to believe those birds are just a very few miles from the Thail border. They all used to be see in Thailand. But Thailand has deforested the lowlands almost totally. And the habitat is lost in Thailand.

Actually I don't know for sure? But, I bet Cambodia is no worse than Thailand was 50 or so years ago. Sad state for sure.

My flickr site has a few more birds from that area. http://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Starting from this shot: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos/16623184968/ there are fourteen pics from that area mostly.

Cheers,

Thanks so much for the links. During the last month or so I've seen a pair of Java Sparrows near my house, ( I don't know the scientific for them) which are the first I've seen in Bkk, near Don Muaeng. I did get a shot but I didn't have the focal length to get the details. I believe they are listed as threatened. Your shots are fantastic!

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would have thought they would have brought chain saws in lieu of AK 47's. Oh well, I guess they know more about logging than I do.

They bring both when hunting elephants.