Southern Thailand Gripped by Violence

Jacob Maslow

Southern Thailand may not be as dangerous as Iraq or Kabul, but violence is an everyday reality for those who live there. While this region of the country is known for its breathtaking beaches and scenic views, there’s a dark side to the southern region; an area that’s fighting for autonomy.

Rebel groups in the south don’t typically target the civilian population, but all too often, they get caught in the crossfire. Civil servants, those who carry out the government’s work, are often the ones who get caught in the middle. For simply being a government worker and doing your job, you may wind up being dragged out of your car and shot.

Unfortunately, clashes between the military and separatist groups are far too common in the country’s three southern border provinces. The threat has grown to a point where the government has organized a militia of sorts. Groups of civilians are now being armed with shotguns and pistols.

Despite the turmoil, it’s hard to ignore southern Thailand’s beauty. Without the violence and conflict, it would be a tourist’s paradise. But there are no tourists here. Neither foreign nor Thai tourists travel visit the south because of its fierce reputation. But if both sides could come to an understanding, everyone – both locals and foreigners – could once again enjoy the beach-filled paradise, rather than avoiding it altogether.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-22

post-231994-0-21772700-1430261600_thumb.

Jacob, you might want to re-read this !!!!!!!! Even on planet Thailand, a civil servant is a civillian I think :)

Rebel groups in the south don’t typically target the civilian population, but all too often, they get caught in the crossfire. Civil servants, those who carry out the government’s work, are often the ones who get caught in the middle. For simply being a government worker and doing your job, you may wind up being dragged out of your car and shot.

From the article "But there are no tourists here. Neither foreign nor Thai tourists travel visit the south because of its fierce reputation."

The pic as mentioned is from Krabi and there are plenty of tourists there, a little bit more thought into this article wouldn't go amiss.

"But if both sides could come to an understanding, everyone – both locals and foreigners – could once again enjoy the beach-filled paradise, rather than avoiding it altogether." [last paragraph]

Both sides? One side is Moslem. I am trying to think of a single example, world-wide, where a Moslem with a gun in his hand can be persuaded to "come to an understanding".....

Edited by blazes

A completely pointless article that tells you nothing that is not already out there, its the type of thing I would expect to read on 'Not Richard Barrow.'

Next block buster will be "Thailand has protests in Bangkok sometimes.'

Since the Thais respect the Chinese so much (ever since Thailand was permanently occupied by Chinese sperm a long time ago), why not take a page from their playbook and make an autonomous region like Macau or the Mongolian autonomous region?

It would mean the land and people are Thai, the government and police are Thai, but it is run by the Kumnan, or village heads - just like the Rest of Thailand, but without Budda Issara and his wealthy cronies sticking the nose of the Buddhist clergy into politics...it would just be the Imams sticking their noses into politics in plain sight.

smile.png

"The threat has grown to a point where the government has organized a militia of sorts."

Does this mean the military can no longer control the security in the South that it must rely on paramilitary forces? Many of the atrocities committed equally against the Malay-Thais have been by the paramilitary for which the military frequently has appologized but never brought to justice. If civil servants are part of the paramilitary, that may explain why they are being targeted by the insurgents.

General Prayut promised a peaceful solution to the conflict in the South by the end of 2015. He based this on the success of HIS “Thung Yang Daeng Model.” The model aka pacification is failing. Prayut has also failed to capitalize on the resumption of the peace process launched on February 28, 2013, by the government of Yingluck Shinawatra that was cut short by the interruption of government activities by the PDRC/Democrats and the military coup.

Prayut is failing as Head of Government. Unfortunately, he cannot be peacefully removed by the sovereign people of Thailand.

Awesome photo. thumbsup.gif

Insightful article.

A picture of Krabi, and poorly written pablum - I gained insight only from reading the responses.

One person thinks it has been mostly teachers that have been targeted. (wrong)

One person thinks it is religiously motivated and suggested that no Muslim with a weapon has ever chosen not to use it. (wrong)

A couple of people blame the current government (one while noting that the government said that things would change by the end of 2015) ---

The issues in the South are not as simple as anything stated so far.

The PM stated that the insurgency in the South would be over in 2015, what is incorrect about that statement?

I agree with your other observations, the problems in the South go back decades over land disputes.

Care to offer up your pearls of wisdom and correct those of whom you said were wrong?

"Rebel groups in the south don’t typically target the civilian population, but all too often, they get caught in the crossfire."

Didn't they shoot two Hill Tribe women from Chiang Mai, working as rubber tappers, just the other day? You can't get much more civvy than that!

"Unfortunately, clashes between the military and separatist groups are far too common in the country’s three southern border provinces. The threat has grown to a point where the government has organized a militia of sorts. Groups of civilians are now being armed with shotguns and pistols."

The responsibility for fighting the insurgents is increasingly being handed over to paramilitary groups and militias because fighting a long drawn out counter insurgency campaign is far too much like soldiering, (hard work) for the army.

Some might say that. Others would point to the urgent need to deploy against motor cycle taxis, beach umbrella renters, lottery ticket sellers, people with pictures of Thaksin on jam-jars and a host of other claims on their resources.

Either way it's a damn sight easier than fighting an insurgency.

Edited by JAG

Well there's been talks underway according to the BP between the insurgency and the Junta, some here said that would never happen, well it has and is happening as it's the only way to resolve such issues.

Now I Wonder when there will be dialogue between the fire starters and the dummy spitters to resolve the political situation that prevents another Situation that resembles the South?

"But if both sides could come to an understanding, everyone – both locals and foreigners – could once again enjoy the beach-filled paradise, rather than avoiding it altogether." [last paragraph]

Both sides? One side is Moslem. I am trying to think of a single example, world-wide, where a Moslem with a gun in his hand can be persuaded to "come to an understanding".....

The conflict is about separatism and autonomy, not faith.

The conflict is about separatism and autonomy, not faith.

Correct, it is about separatism and autonomy AND now faith has for some time been thrown into the mixture. Which is toxic.

Especially if the "faith" in Southern Thailand is backed up by Middle Eastern money.

If you think the situation in the south is bad now, just wait, for 10 years or so.

I went there several years ago with my Thai family. Once the train had passed

Surat Thani south bound, they became nervous. We stayed cautious for our time near Pattani and Yala,

and enjoyed seeing some Buddhist temples in the area. The family became relaxed when we got on the train again at

Hat Yai, for the return trip to Bangkok. The situation was tense back then, but has gotten worse

in the last few years.

I do hope that the country of Thailand stays intact, and does not let any part of it become something

else. The people who want to have their area of Thailand to have special status, would be better to go and

live in another country! I just wished this would have happened to Quebec, but that is just another

very controversial story. Just my opinion of course,

as I am just another Red Neck Farang, from the western part of Canada.

If you think the situation in the south is bad now, just wait, for 10 years or so.

I went there several years ago with my Thai family. Once the train had passed

Surat Thani south bound, they became nervous. We stayed cautious for our time near Pattani and Yala,

and enjoyed seeing some Buddhist temples in the area. The family became relaxed when we got on the train again at

Hat Yai, for the return trip to Bangkok. The situation was tense back then, but has gotten worse

in the last few years.

I do hope that the country of Thailand stays intact, and does not let any part of it become something

else. The people who want to have their area of Thailand to have special status, would be better to go and

live in another country! I just wished this would have happened to Quebec, but that is just another

very controversial story. Just my opinion of course,

as I am just another Red Neck Farang, from the western part of Canada.

Those involved in the southern conflict see themselves as a different country, one that is under occupation.

I don't agree with the violence or terror tactics they employ. However neither do I see why they should go to another country, in their eyes they have one already, they now want the right to have a say in how its run.

Whether that is through autonomy within the Thai state, limited self rule or outright independence is something that they and the Thai state need to agree on via peaceful means. Violence is never the answer for me.

I think all those involved in terrorism are scum and deserve whatever happens to them. However there are legitimate grievances and rights issues in the south which need addressing.

Edited by Bluespunk