If you own this bike or knows somebody who do, pass this....

umbanda

Yes its only a problem if you ride with QR open. The wheel loose in the forks, funny steering, wobbles, strange feeling when you brake. If you dont notice any of that and continue to ride on,the QR lever may catch on the disk effectively locking the front wheel and possibly throwing you over the handlebars. Some lawyers are laying the blame on Trek not the rider who doesnt tighten their QR lever properly.

Yes its only a problem if you ride with QR open. The wheel loose in the forks, funny steering, wobbles, strange feeling when you brake. If you dont notice any of that and continue to ride on,the QR lever may catch on the disk effectively locking the front wheel and possibly throwing you over the handlebars. Some lawyers are laying the blame on Trek not the rider who doesnt tighten their QR lever properly.

facepalm.gif Now I know why a big pack of paper came with my shimano wheels explaining how to close the lever in every language on this planet

The danger occurs when riding the bike with the front quick release all the way open.

Truth be told, I don't know of a bicycle made that's completely safe when ridden with the front release open. Safer than in the "good old days" but not completely safe.

Google "lawyer lips" or "lawyer tabs" for some historical context, and to see why it's safer to do so today, than when we were kids.

Here's the Consumer Product Safety Commission recall notice:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Trek-Recalls-Bicycles-Equipped-with-Front-Disc-Brakes-to-Replace-Quick-Release-Lever/

For a real eye opener, check out how many bicycle recalls there have been. It's scary until you read deeper and realize that a lot of the recalls are to protect people against doing stupid things and expecting not to get hurt.

Have you noticed the recall says in Canada and the USA. Does this mean the recall is not being made in the rest of the world? Is it only happening in countries where lawyers can make money blaming others for someones own stupidity. There are allsorts of ways to injure yourself riding a bike. Ride with not enough air in the tyres and crash going around a corner. Blame Trek because they didnt put warning stickers all over the bike advising to keep the tyres pumped up.

QR on the seatpost. If you dont have that tight the saddle could drop down and cause an accident. Pull the brakes hard while learning into a corner at speed. You can go on and on.

Have you noticed the recall says in Canada and the USA. Does this mean the recall is not being made in the rest of the world? Is it only happening in countries where lawyers can make money blaming others for someones own stupidity. There are allsorts of ways to injure yourself riding a bike. Ride with not enough air in the tyres and crash going around a corner. Blame Trek because they didnt put warning stickers all over the bike advising to keep the tyres pumped up.

QR on the seatpost. If you dont have that tight the saddle could drop down and cause an accident. Pull the brakes hard while learning into a corner at speed. You can go on and on.

While I agree with a lot of your points, there are also a lot of cases where the CPSC recalls or bans products with genuine, glaring, child killing defects, and the manufacturers simply sell them on to countries with less stringent safety laws. I don't think that's the case here, but it happens a lot. We read about it occasionally in the news when a kid gets electrocuted standing next to an appliance...

Edited by impulse

I recall removing a lot stickers from my new bike and put a lot paper in the trash.......

Yeah put your wet poodle in the microwave and than sue them because the dog died......

• Like 1

Yeah put your wet poodle in the microwave and than sue them because the dog died......

If there wasn't a sticker saying "no poodles"...

Of course only on the US version not on the Vietnamese.....

Last time I was in USA....something like 15 years ago, I ordered an espresso (which was something like half a liter blink.png ) and had to wait 10 min for it too get cool.

I got told somewhere in USA someone poured a hot coffee over him(her)self by accident and than sued the shop. So now it must be below a dangerous temperature.

Don't know if it is an urban legend or if it is true.....You can't make all guides complete fool proof, you would need a 10 kg guide book for 9 kg bike....

Don't know if it is an urban legend or if it is true.....You can't make all guides complete fool proof, you would need a 10 kg guide book for 9 kg bike....

I got told somewhere in USA someone poured a hot coffee over him(her)self by accident and than sued the shop. So now it must be below a dangerous temperature.

It was a little old lady at McDonalds. Sadly, it was true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

Edited by impulse

Blame the poodle supplier. Poodle should have sticker - spin or tumble dry only, same as your shirts

Last time I was in USA....something like 15 years ago, I ordered an espresso (which was something like half a liter blink.png ) and had to wait 10 min for it too get cool.

Now the cups are stamped "Caution: Hot". I imagine they assume illiterate people are not so stupid

Digressing onto the topic of the stupidity of the USA courts, I found myself reading a judgement by a US judge. In essence, his judgement to the defendant was "You're wrong, and the expert's judgement is admissible. If you had said "...." I could have found in your favour, but you did not make that argument, and I can only judge on the arguments put in front of me". Perhaps we should not blame the courts, but rather the half-wit lawyers that many Americans are cursed with

Now the cups are stamped "Caution: Hot". I imagine they assume illiterate people are not so stupid

I think they missed out on the opportunity to sue the auto maker for not having enough cup holders. It's obvious that was the root cause of the injury...

I played handball with the old ladies son-in-law as he explained it the coffee was so hot she had 3rd degree burns in her genital area. She had some responsibility by putting coffee between her legs but the coffee was over 200degrees way beyond anyones ability to drink.

I played handball with the old ladies son-in-law as he explained it the coffee was so hot she had 3rd degree burns in her genital area. She had some responsibility by putting coffee between her legs but the coffee was over 200degrees way beyond anyones ability to drink.

Using that logic, I'm guessing Pizza Hut should pay me a few hundred thousand for all the times their pizza was served hot enough to burn the roof of my mouth...

And that's when I used their product in the very manner for which it was intended, not spilling it on myself.

Face it, McDonalds had deep pockets and the lady (or more accurately, her lawyer who probably worked on contingency) won the lawsuit lottery.

heck....they didn't inform her that you should drink the coffee with your upper mouth, so the poor lady poured it into her genitals? Really bad from McDonalds.

How much money (Millions?) can I make if I hurt myself on the coffee and sue them because as German speak I can't understand the words "Caution: Hot", and second I sue them for discrimination against Germans. Racism in its worst form they want to burn the lips of foreigner....

w00t.gif

How much money (Millions?) can I make if I hurt myself on the coffee and sue them because as German speak I can't understand the words "Caution: Hot", and second I sue them for discrimination against Germans. Racism in its worst form they want to burn the lips of foreigner....

Spin the wheel. Take your chances. They don't call it the lawsuit lottery for nothing.

On an aside, an old girlfriend's family was once sued by a lady in a family that had never worked in their lives. They made their money by suing people for injuries. And they were rich.

In the GF's case, the lady stepped in front of a horse at an equestrian event, then sued because my GF "let her horse trample the victim, causing severe injuries". Just about bankrupted the GF's upper middle class family, even with insurance.

I seem to remember the big gun manufacturers in the US being sued because they made the guns that were used by bank robbers and murderers so were therefore liable. Something like that 10 or 15 years ago. The lawyers could smell money.

Spin the wheel. Take your chances. They don't call it the lawsuit lottery for nothing.

On an aside, an old girlfriend's family was once sued by a lady in a family that had never worked in their lives. They made their money by suing people for injuries. And they were rich.

In the GF's case, the lady stepped in front of a horse at an equestrian event, then sued because my GF "let her horse trample the victim, causing severe injuries". Just about bankrupted the GF's upper middle class family, even with insurance.

Outch now I got my finger stuck between the keys on the keyboard....that will be expensive.......

Actually it is sad how society degenerates to allow such things......

They teached me, if you shoot a thief in your house (in Europe), you must shoot him dead. Else he can sue you poor if disabled. Never shoot in the ceiling first and than in his leg......As it shows they you knew what you did. Shoot at his body and empty the magazine....which shows you were in shock and he is dead and can't sue you.....also sad.....